Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1St Week After Surgery..how Did It Go?

I had my surgery on monday and it went well. I spend all day tethered to a iv poll and a catheter. The next day no catheter but still the dreaded IV poll. I had the option to go home tuesday night but my mom doesn't see well to drive at night so they gave me the option to stay til wednesday morning. Now it thursday and I'm trying to get my 60 oz of liquid a day in that is required by my surgeon. Pretty much Water, broth, and Jello. I was just a little curious so I stepped on the scale this morning and not much change. I think I went home heavier than I started due to all the fluids they pumped in me at the hospital plus I started my period this week which was a real drag. I usually gain a few pounds of water weight during that time. My feet were puffed up pretty good due to all the extra Fluid but that is starting to subside now. My follow up is tuesday so I will see how that goes. I'm thinking I may stay off the scale til then. anyways I would like to hear how everyone else's first week went. Also how much did you lose that first week. I'm 5ft 1 and 266 pounds. well I was the day of surgery now my scale says 267....damn water weight

Congratson getting it done! :)

First week for me was a bit like having the flu. I was in hospital less than 24 hours. When I left, for the next 6 days, there was lots of sleeping, a little nausea, no pain but just worn out. I didn't have access to a scale the first week and I just wasnt in the mood to care at that point. I did venture out on a couple of shopping adventures starting day 4, and I was amazed to think I could do that after having the majority of a major organ removed! It was easy, not painful, but i just felt tired very easily.

My advice would be not to worry about the scale for now. Job #1 is staying hydrated and job #2 will be to get your Protein target as soon as you are up to it. But the hydration is key to beginning to feel better. Be kind to yourself and dont overdo.

Best of luck! You are on your way! :D

my dietician said not to worry to much about Protein the 1st week. Not much Protein in Jello and Water. I did get this chicken broth by powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury with a lot of protein. It's not too bad

Yup i wasnt interested in anything but Clear Liquids the first week, and even then it was a challenge to have a sip. My mom made abig thing of Jello that i was so not interested in!

Surgery on Monday also! Today is the first day I have really felt great. Ready to take on the world! I was in a hurry to get out of the hospital so I headed home Tues and have worked hard on getting all my fluids in. I did find that my mood as well as my gas pains have gotten better once I started walking outside. Even though it's a whopping 7° outside. I did weigh myself and I am down 14lbs but I have walked a lot to get rid of the fluids. Just keep on track and we will be successful!! Good luck!

I am down 13 pounds 9 days out from surgery. Having trouble with getting in enough Protein and these horrible back stabbing gas pains. I got some gas x gels last night the strips just didn't cut it. I would pay $100 to toot if it would work!!!

I am down 13 pounds 9 days out from surgery. Having trouble with getting in enough Protein and these horrible back stabbing gas pains. I got some gas x gels last night the strips just didn't cut it. I would pay $100 to toot if it would work!!!

that's great. Im down 10. I guess that's what happens when you don't eat anything for 9 days...lol I haven't gotten much Protein in since I'm just drinking clear liquids. My nutritionist did say the 1st week but be a wash for protein since there isn't much in clear liquids. I mentioned the injury chicken Soup flavor which has protein but I decided I am sick of all things chicken broth but I forced it down this morning because it's filling. Last night was the first time I felt semi sort of hungry so I went to bed early. I got up this morning and drank my nasty protein chicken broth. lol My gas pains are few and far between now. That mostly happened in the first few days but hasn't been much of a problem since. Starting monday is full liquids and I'm so excited. I thought I would never say I would be excited for another Protein shake but I am. lol

My surgery was on Tuesday morning. Came home on Thursday. No real pain, just annoying uncomfortableness around my drain port. Came home on full liquids.

Struggling to get enough Protein down, not because of fullness of nausea but because I hate shakes, always have. chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, coffee--no flavors don't make me dread having to drink it. Plain broth makes me retch.

I am eating some cream-based Soup, strained and being my Water quantity but once this Protein Drink phase is no longer needed, I plan to never eat anything chocolate again!

I have some gas, nothing bad. I am having some bad itching around the tape on my drain port dressing. I am tired of wearing this binder too!

I weighed 477 prior to surgery, 449 the day of surgery, 462 today but I still have a huge abdominal hernia and lots of scar tissue and issues surrounding that.

My surgery was on Tuesday morning. Came home on Thursday. No real pain, just annoying uncomfortableness around my drain port. Came home on full liquids. Struggling to get enough Protein down, not because of fullness of nausea but because I hate shakes, always have. chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, coffee--no flavors don't make me dread having to drink it. Plain broth makes me retch. I am eating some cream-based Soup, strained and being my Water quantity but once this Protein Drink phase is no longer needed, I plan to never eat anything chocolate again! I have some gas, nothing bad. I am having some bad itching around the tape on my drain port dressing. I am tired of wearing this binder too! I weighed 477 prior to surgery, 449 the day of surgery, 462 today but I still have a huge abdominal hernia and lots of scar tissue and issues surrounding that.

There is a product called nector for ur protein... It's made with Water it was so much better then the thick shake taste

I started full liquids today. I strained progresso cream of bacon and potato and it was the best thing I ever tasted. So good. After a week of drinking in Water it was such a welcome treat

I remember being so worried my first week that I wasn't getting enough fluids in. I could drink Protein shakes and that helped with counts on both but I could not for the life of me drink enough Water (had to have it flavored) or other fluids to be back to normal again and not have dark urine all the time. The worry kept me sipping and sipping and sipping but some days I could tell it wasn't enough.

Good luck on your journey -- I liked moving from Clear liquids to full and never loved Soup so much in my life.

ETA: I lost 27 pounds my first week but I had no pre-op diet and started out at 325 so that was strongly working in my favor. Most of my weight loss was Water weight in my feet, ankles, hands and face somewhat. I was amazed at how much my feet and legs changed while even in the hospital (I stayed 3 days).