Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

this may start a riot.

Ok so I was an avid follower and reader of this sight for months... but now I find it hard to get on here and believe everything I read.

I have went to my drs and asked alk the questions that were brought up on here and a lot of them my dr just laughed at and explained it for a sleeve patient vs a bypass patient.

He told me I can drink as I eat the valve will not just open and wash out food that is a bypass thing. Nothing with the valve has been changed. He said it will just make you full faster so instead you should eat your food but if you feel the need to drink do so.

The constipation/diarhea is most likely caused by your Protein Drinks and bars because other than your stomach being smaller there is no difference in how your body works.

The only thing he says is watchbout for a lot of bad carbs like candy, cakes and such but good carbs are ok. Eat until your full.

My nutritionist says the same. I track roughly 3-5 days a week and she says that's fine and to stay between 1000/1200 calories a day. If you feel the need for a hersheys kiss track it. And to always get your 80 gms of Protein in and your 64oz of Fluid.

I keep seeing so many other things and stories on here about things that I look up and those are the rules of bypass patients..

Just somethings drs disagree on I suppose and they all do things different. Usually I don't drink while eating but I can right after. It doesn't make me any hungrier any earlier I eat about every 3 to 4 hours and seem fine. My demons are haunting me.. candy crackers and chips and I am trying to fight those demons. I just don't know how. I need to get them out of my house... I don't like halloween bevause my boys bring home so much candy and I always have found myself eating more than they do. ..

Trying to eat cleaner and stay away from carbs.. I have 3 months of my honeymoin phase and have noticed a dramatic slow down of my weight loss. So here's to me getting back on the wagon...

Oh and the straw thing.. I was able to use one 6 weeks out. Dr says you get just as much air drinking straight from a bottle. It will not expand your stomach.

I haven't bothered asking about carbonation because I know I don't need soda and beer.

And alcohol he says just be careful and its empty calories.. but I don't drink either. I barely did before surgery.

Congrats, your doctor has different advice than other doctors. Something that has been discussed a million times on these forums. As has been discussed, everyone should follow their own surgeons instructions and not what they find on here, including this thread.

For starters, I have never believed everything I read on here. Don't think anyone should.

Secondly, It seems like everyone has different instructions from their Surgeons and NUTS. After all, we trusted them enough to remove 80% of our stomach so why would we NOT do as they instruct?

That said, I believe the different surgeons instructions come from this; first, medical fact, second, medical opinion, third, serving the lowest common denominator, and lastly, covering their asses.

Caffeine is fine? No caffeine ever again? Straws ok? No straws ever? Alcohol ok? No alcohol ever? Carbonation ok? No carbonation ever? I think lots of surgeons say these things because lets face it, we didn't get morbidly obese doing all the right things so many think that there is no wiggle room in their patients and they don't want someone suing them because they used a straw and gained all the weight back and we not warned about it.

I do follow my surgeon's and NUT's instructions but I also think they use a common sense approach. My only no no according to them is carbonation. I can live with that. Had I been instructed to never have caffeine, alcohol, use a straw, or consume a carbohydrate I would not have had this surgery. I got this surgery to live a long, healthy and normal life not spend the rest of it being afraid every time I put something in my mouth.

I'm sure there are some WLS patient who need that strict set of rules but I think for the most part, we can all use our common sense along with our medical advice and make the right decisions that work for us.

I don't know if it's going to start a riot per se... But hey whatever floats your doctors or your boat? I say go for it.... Oh and yes the shakes and bars bind you up' date=' was that ever in question??[/quote']

I wonder what the good doc said about bougie size? ;-) :-P

So it's Monday and I'd rather be napping than working and may have missed something but if I read you correctly he says:

1. can eat and drink together, no problem

2. Constipation is likely due to shakes (and I'm guessing no veggies)

3. Track everything you eat and keep Protein and Water at suggested levels

4. Use a straw if you want to

Well, 2-3 every doctor would agree with, 4 many doctors agree with. The only one that many doctors seem to disagree with is point (1) above, right? That doesn't seem that different?

On a separate note, sorry the forum isn't being that helpful for you. It's my lifeline. As I have told several people lately, before I got on this forum, I used to have a life! I used to read books! Now, I read and learn here daily, and for that I am grateful.

But I can understand that it doesn't work for anyone, so I can accept that. I don't think I will riot about that :)

by the way, let me say that is true of EVERYTHING in life.

Stay together for the sake of the children, don't stay together for the sake of the children. Have more than one child, only children get more attention. Let your teenager dress the way she wants, don't let her dress like a sl#t. Pay your kids for chores, expect them to do that as being part of the family. Reward grades with money, grades ARE the reward. We can all go on about these.

Surgery is no different. We each read, inform, learn, share, ponder, and decide.

So it's Monday and I'd rather be napping than working and may have missed something but if I read you correctly he says: 1. can eat and drink together' date=' no problem 2. Constipation is likely due to shakes (and I'm guessing no veggies) 3. Track everything you eat and keep Protein and Water at suggested levels 4. Use a straw if you want to Well, 2-3 every doctor would agree with, 4 many doctors agree with. The only one that many doctors seem to disagree with is point (1) above, right? That doesn't seem that different? On a separate note, sorry the forum isn't being that helpful for you. It's my lifeline. As I have told several people lately, before I got on this forum, I used to have a life! I used to read books! Now, I read and learn here daily, and for that I am grateful. But I can understand that it doesn't work for anyone, so I can accept that. I don't think I will riot about that :)[/quote']

I concur with you. This is my lifeline!!! I have asked my doc about certain things like the straw and stuff and my doc says it's okay. But you just gotta do what you're comfortable with.

For starters, I have never believed everything I read on here. Don't think anyone should.

Secondly, It seems like everyone has different instructions from their Surgeons and NUTS. After all, we trusted them enough to remove 80% of our stomach so why would we NOT do as they instruct?

That said, I believe the different surgeons instructions come from this; first, medical fact, second, medical opinion, third, serving the lowest common denominator, and lastly, covering their asses.

Caffeine is fine? No caffeine ever again? Straws ok? No straws ever? Alcohol ok? No alcohol ever? Carbonation ok? No carbonation ever? I think lots of surgeons say these things because lets face it, we didn't get morbidly obese doing all the right things so many think that there is no wiggle room in their patients and they don't want someone suing them because they used a straw and gained all the weight back and we not warned about it.

I do follow my surgeon's and NUT's instructions but I also think they use a common sense approach. My only no no according to them is carbonation. I can live with that. Had I been instructed to never have caffeine, alcohol, use a straw, or consume a carbohydrate I would not have had this surgery. I got this surgery to live a long, healthy and normal life not spend the rest of it being afraid every time I put something in my mouth.

I'm sure there are some WLS patient who need that strict set of rules but I think for the most part, we can all use our common sense along with our medical advice and make the right decisions that work for us.

Why bother being on the forum in the first place if you have it all figured out....I admire the fact that you do as you would be the only one I know of that does...Mr it is an everyday learning experience and I read and studied this program for 2 years...Personally I find the forum valuable in that you get to read how others are handling all the things that you have already figured out....Amazing!!!!!

Who are you trying to convince? Good luck on your journey.

Why bother being on the forum in the first place if you have it all figured out....I admire the fact that you do as you would be the only one I know of that does...Mr it is an everyday learning experience and I read and studied this program for 2 years...Personally I find the forum valuable in that you get to read how others are handling all the things that you have already figured out....Amazing!!!!!

I meant to write for me it is a bla bla bla.....

Looks like you've been successful following your doctor's orders. That's great.

I view this site as a place to network to discuss concerns, share successes, and support one another on a journey. We share our ideas and our doctor's orders. A lot of posts end with: make sure you check with your doctor or NUT.

I say if you want to drink thru a straw, drink thru a straw. If you want a hershey kiss, have one, or take two, they are small.

We all use this site for different purposes. Get what you need from it, leave what you don't want or don't believe. It's all up to the individual.

I love this forum, it's my only place to talk with people who are going through this and understand. I especially love the research and articles that people post. Just my $0.02, but drinking and eating together makes me sick and the liquid comes right back up, so I think it's a good rule. Carbonation does the same thing. Caffeine I gave up just prior to surgery and I'm glad I did. It dehydrates me, and in New Mexico we already have enough trouble with that. I still have a cup of green tea a couple of times a week, but glad my dr. made me quit my 2 cups of coffee a day. I can also drink through a straw with no problems. The rest is common sense. And I do trust my dr. and nut, they are great, are in a Center of Excellence, and know a lot more about this than I do, so I pretty much follow their rules and it works. I don't need to push the envelope.