Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I had my surgery 7 days ago (lost about 10 lbs so far, yay!). On Monday, 4 days after surgery, I went back to work. On Wed, I started feeling REALLY dizzy and had to go home. I tried to go back Thurs, and the same thing. I've finally given up on work this week. My Dr hasn't had seen anyone with serious dizziness before, we've run all the blood tests which are normal, so he took me off the blood thinners thinking it could be a reaction. I've been off them for 2 days and feel better, but still dizzy. Has anybody else experienced this?

My post-op dizziness was due to my BP med being too strong with my pre-op weight loss. We cut it in half, and the dizziness was dramatically reduced, but not gone. Two weeks later we cut it out completely and no more dizziness!!

Had my blood pressure checked the same day as blood work. 124 over 92, so that's not the problem. I really don't know what's going on. Just feel really light headed when I get up. I'm mostly ok the rest of the time unless I turn really quickly or lean back with my eyes closed. But, I guess I'm not dead yet, so it must not be serious.. :/

That's what I was wondering as well. I'm trying to stay hydrated. My husband also remembered when he had a similar issue last year. The Dr told him is called Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). I guess there are little crystals in your inner ear that help with your balance and they can get trapped up in the tunnels of your ear canal. They gave him some exercises that cleared it right up. I've tried them and they've helped some, so I'm not sure. I'm going to see how that goes. I'm thinking maybe because I was flat on my back for a couple of days these crystals got settled in the wrong place? Don't know..

Are you having vertigo or dizziness? They are actually two different things. I had BPPV for years following a car accident, so I learned the hard way all about it. Vertigo is when everything around you seems to be moving or spinning, but it isn't really. Like if you were laying on the bed and rolled over and the whole room felt like it was spinning around you. Dizziness is when you stand up and get light-headed and feel for a moment like you could maybe pass out. It sounds like you're having dizziness. That could be caused from low blood pressure, especially if it only happens when you stand from a sitting position, or it could be pain meds, if you're still taking them, or even some antidepressants will cause that. It took us months several years ago to figure out the my mom's antidepressant was doing that to her. She actually did pass out a couple of times! I would ask your doctor again about it. There has to be a reason for it. Good luck!

I guess I didn't know there was a difference. It was definitely vertigo. If I closed my eyes, it felt like the whole room flipped upside down around me. Very scary feeling. I did the exercises I found on youtube, and it I am about 98% better. I think now what I am feeling is mild dizziness from my pain meds. Feels so good to feel like I'm on solid ground again!

Yep, definitely sounds like vertigo! You must have done the Epley Maneuver. I used to have to do that occasionally too. Then I'd try to stay upright (sleep in a recliner) for about 24 hours afterwards to give those crystals time to settle down again. I feel for you, sweetie - there is NOTHING worse than vertigo! It is the scariest thing to lay on a bed and feel like the whole world is spinning and you're going to fall off! SO glad you found some relief! :)

Had this for a few days about 2 weeks after surgery. It went away and PA said it could be my body adjusting to sudden weight loss and the body wanting to move as it did before the loss,but not ready for the shift in body size. I still get it after a weight drop of 5 to 7 pounds, then I adjust and am ok.

I am experiencing this today 5 days post op and it is making me nervous. Inwas fine up until today but I think mine is dizziness.

Hi! Look up Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) online. There are many youtube videos showing you how to get rid of this. I figured out that was what was bothering me. (see my response #5). The videos will show you some simple movements/positions to move the crystals in your inner ear back into place. If that is what you are experiencing you should feel immediate improvement. I was 100% dizzy-free within 24 hrs. Good luck!

I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents that when this happened to me (and did for months!) it was my thyroid levels being extremely high after losing so much weight. Within 1-2 weeks after having my medications lowered, the dizzy spells went away completely!

That is great info. I suffer from hypothroidism and take synthroid daily. I intend to have my levels checked.