Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my band surgery on 9/4/12. I wouldn't say mine is a success story (yet!!). I have only lost 41 lbs. and it has been over a year since my surgery. While thinking about this lately, I know that I have not been successful because 1. I am afraid of having the fills. I have had 3 fills but did not get any more because I am worried about food getting stuck in the band. 2. I am not exercising. I have had a hard time getting motivated and am disappointed in myself. 3. I am not eating properly. Due to my fear of getting food stuck in the band, I rarely eat meat, I eat salads and veggies and lots of Soups. I know I should be eating meat, chewing it thoroughly, small bites, etc., but I can't seem to get past the fear factor.

I really want to get ontrack and be successful with my weight loss. I would appreciate any feedback I can get.

Hi Lori, it sounds like you know where the weaknesses are -- good for you for figuring out the specifics of what you need to do. And congratulations on the 41 pounds. I wish I had lost 41 pounds last year! I'm getting my band next week and of course am totally paranoid about stuck episodes. Still, I know I can do it if I work very closely with my doctor to determine just the right amount. That's the whole thing, right? The adjustable lapband has to be adjusted properly to take care of that appetite and this can be a very delicate tweaking to get it working properly. Working perfectly -- that is the goal. It will happen!

I have become an exerciser and I would not have thought that was possible. How about one of those C25K programs or something like that? You are not alone in this regard. I still don't exactly want to do it, but once I'm finished (like right now), I feel great and wonder what that whole head game was all about. Once my band is installed and I'm recovered, etc., my next goal is to stop the head game and enjoy the working out right from the get-go.

Best wishes to you!

Hi Lori,

I am going to start this post by prewarning you that this is a touch love response. I don't want to hear crap from anyone in this forum about being rude or unhelpful. Because it is clear you need a wake up call.

Too many times I come on here and see the same "fear" of getting stuck as an excuse to a) not get fills or B) not eat properly and it's a completely unfounded fear.

Let's talk about "getting stuck". What's all the hype about? The way I see it, it's inevitable. Whether you were rushed during your meal, took too big of a bite, ate something a little to dry or or or, eventually you are going to experience getting stuck (even if it's just on a simple level of sliming and temporary stuck that passes after a moment) etc.

And DARE I say... it's a good thing you get stuck.

Rationale: Because 1) you'll know how it feels, 2) you'll learn how to cope, 3) it'll stop this nonsensical fear that is preventing you from eating optimally.

Getting stuck has degrees, but man, it takes some serious negligence to get to a stuck point that you end up vomitting and slipping a band. Let's see, an example, taking a fistful sized bite and swallowing it without chewing. Anything shy of this usually results in PBing, Sliming and regurgitation. None of which are going to hurt your band. Inconvenient, embarrassing, annoying, etc SURE. But through experimentation and learning what your band cannot tolerate (which can only be done with negative feedback like getting stuck) can you actually fine tune what your diet should be and learn ways to get around some of the obstacles your band may pose to you.

Now let's talk about malnutrition. See, the awesome thing about obesity is that it's an extreme example of poor nutrition that is highly visible because of the size a person gets to. There's no way to deny it, you are overweight, you are unhealthy. So we all desire a healthier life and we get the band to accomplish that. But there is a percentage of bandsters who go about it so incorrectly that you are putting yourself in the other category, whiich is the malnourished group. No better than the bulemics and anorexics category. Difference between this category and being obese, the negative consequences are not as visual thus easy to deny/avoid.

You wake up breathing, walking, talking so all must be well with the world as long as that scale keeps dropping. But in reality, you are reeking havoc internally. Fundamental amino acids, minerals an Vitamins which are required to build and sustain your body are being depleted. So guess what the consequence is? Your body can no longer build or sustain. Eating veggies, salad and Soup is not going to get you anywhere you need to be from a nutritional standpoint. I would have been more sympathetic had I heard that you are aware and ensuring minimal nutritional levels, but that's not what I'm getting. I'm getting, you are eating sliders and easy foods that pass the band without a potential stuck. Which means you are looking for softs and liquids NOT focusing on numbers and nutrition. Protein is an essential component to your body. It is required, not only to build muscle mass, but it supports every organ system, to include your brain. Without Protein you will be losing 'weight' because you will be losing muscle mass, you compromise your immunity because there are not stored Proteins to combat illness, you compromise your organs and the list goes on. Over time, the impact is compounding. And the next thing you know you are sitting in an ER because your body goes into shock.

Think I'm being extreme? Do the research.

The real message I'm trying to send today, is that if you want something to be afraid of...be afraid of malnutrition NOT getting stuck. I would recommend you go onto youtube and look at some documentaries of bulemics and anorexics and see the physical health consequences. When you see these extreme cases, you can get a better idea of how malnutrition compounds and impacts the body because early on it's not obvious. This is all about education and understanding your bodies demands which is just as important as your band's needs.

Sorry for the tone, and this is certainly not directed at you personally. It's coming from a place of frustration of seeing a mentality that I fear too many newbies are getting trapped into. THey modify their behaviors into unhealthy patterns for a unfounded fear they have yet to experience. It's like not going outside because you fear you will get hit by a car. Can happen, sure. But there are rules to avoid it (look, hear, yield) and you just decreased your chances by 90%. But there's that crazy driver who can come at any time. Better to learn to be prepared than to live in fear. And you certainly don't modify your life based on the what if fear factors.

I want to see everyone here be a success. And yes, I know, everyone goes about it their own way. But that doesn't mean everyone's way is healthy. To switch one unhealthy lifestyle for another will result in defeat-guaranteed.

Well said Hazel! In this last week I had two episodes of getting stuck...yep, uncomfortable but I walked and it passed fast! Listen to what Hazel wrote.....move past it! You will be fine. and BTW....the two things I got stuck was bread...not meat!

Hazel, I learn so much reading your posts. :D

Hi Lori' date='

I am going to start this post by prewarning you that this is a touch love response. I don't want to hear crap from anyone in this forum about being rude or unhelpful. Because it is clear you need a wake up call.

Too many times I come on here and see the same "fear" of getting stuck as an excuse to a) not get fills or B) not eat properly and it's a completely unfounded fear.

Let's talk about "getting stuck". What's all the hype about? The way I see it, it's inevitable. Whether you were rushed during your meal, took too big of a bite, ate something a little to dry or or or, eventually you are going to experience getting stuck (even if it's just on a simple level of sliming and temporary stuck that passes after a moment) etc.

And DARE I say... it's a good thing you get stuck.

Rationale: Because 1) you'll know how it feels, 2) you'll learn how to cope, 3) it'll stop this nonsensical fear that is preventing you from eating optimally.

Getting stuck has degrees, but man, it takes some serious negligence to get to a stuck point that you end up vomitting and slipping a band. Let's see, an example, taking a fistful sized bite and swallowing it without chewing. Anything shy of this usually results in PBing, Sliming and regurgitation. None of which are going to hurt your band. Inconvenient, embarrassing, annoying, etc SURE. But through experimentation and learning what your band cannot tolerate (which can only be done with negative feedback like getting stuck) can you actually fine tune what your diet should be and learn ways to get around some of the obstacles your band may pose to you.

Now let's talk about malnutrition. See, the awesome thing about obesity is that it's an extreme example of poor nutrition that is highly visible because of the size a person gets to. There's no way to deny it, you are overweight, you are unhealthy. So we all desire a healthier life and we get the band to accomplish that. But there is a percentage of bandsters who go about it so incorrectly that you are putting yourself in the other category, whiich is the malnourished group. No better than the bulemics and anorexics category. Difference between this category and being obese, the negative consequences are not as visual thus easy to deny/avoid.

You wake up breathing, walking, talking so all must be well with the world as long as that scale keeps dropping. But in reality, you are reeking havoc internally. Fundamental amino acids, minerals an Vitamins which are required to build and sustain your body are being depleted. So guess what the consequence is? Your body can no longer build or sustain. Eating veggies, salad and Soup is not going to get you anywhere you need to be from a nutritional standpoint. I would have been more sympathetic had I heard that you are aware and ensuring minimal nutritional levels, but that's not what I'm getting. I'm getting, you are eating sliders and easy foods that pass the band without a potential stuck. Which means you are looking for softs and liquids NOT focusing on numbers and nutrition. Protein is an essential component to your body. It is required, not only to build muscle mass, but it supports every organ system, to include your brain. Without Protein you will be losing 'weight' because you will be losing muscle mass, you compromise your immunity because there are not stored Proteins to combat illness, you compromise your organs and the list goes on. Over time, the impact is compounding. And the next thing you know you are sitting in an ER because your body goes into shock.

Think I'm being extreme? Do the research.

The real message I'm trying to send today, is that if you want something to be afraid of...be afraid of malnutrition NOT getting stuck. I would recommend you go onto youtube and look at some documentaries of bulemics and anorexics and see the physical health consequences. When you see these extreme cases, you can get a better idea of how malnutrition compounds and impacts the body because early on it's not obvious. This is all about education and understanding your bodies demands which is just as important as your band's needs.

Sorry for the tone, and this is certainly not directed at you personally. It's coming from a place of frustration of seeing a mentality that I fear too many newbies are getting trapped into. THey modify their behaviors into unhealthy patterns for a unfounded fear they have yet to experience. It's like not going outside because you fear you will get hit by a car. Can happen, sure. But there are rules to avoid it (look, hear, yield) and you just decreased your chances by 90%. But there's that crazy driver who can come at any time. Better to learn to be prepared than to live in fear. And you certainly don't modify your life based on the what if fear factors.

I want to see everyone here be a success. And yes, I know, everyone goes about it their own way. But that doesn't mean everyone's way is healthy. To switch one unhealthy lifestyle for another will result in defeat-guaranteed.[/quote']

Thank you for this post. I'm getting banded on the 8th and some of the things you've talked about here did have me concerned ... so glad to see it from a different perspective :)

Hazel, thank you for this post. I am not banded as of yet..hopefully next month...but I will keep this as a reminder! Very well said!!!! Thank you