Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New And Looking For Support

I am in the beginning stages, literally like I am just telling my dr I want to have the surgery. I have contacted my insurance and found out all the requirements. I also have contacted the Emory Bariatric center here in Atl and thus far I just need to have my medical clearance letter faxed to them. I have been procrastinating bc Im so scared, however reading the post on this forum and seeing all the support you guys show one another it definitely has me excited. I have the support of my mom who has lapband a few years ago and looks great and has maintained her weight loss. So I finally decided to register and join in conversation as I start my journey instead of looking from the sidelines.

Welcome!!! I am new here too. I still have a couple of months to go before getting a surgery date but its good to have a support group and a place to vent before and after the process

Yes this is a great thing. What all have you had to do thus far, are you having to do a supervised diet and thats why you are still waiting on a date?

I am in the beginning stages' date=' literally like I am just telling my dr I want to have the surgery. I have contacted my insurance and found out all the requirements. I also have contacted the Emory Bariatric center here in Atl and thus far I just need to have my medical clearance letter faxed to them. I have been procrastinating bc Im so scared, however reading the post on this forum and seeing all the support you guys show one another it definitely has me excited. I have the support of my mom who has lapband a few years ago and looks great and has maintained her weight loss. So I finally decided to register and join in conversation as I start my journey instead of looking from the sidelines.[/quote']

Hi. I'm right about where you are. I've been reading people's posts but couldn't figure out how to comment. I just saw the 'quote' choice and I'm going from there. I've been to the doc and they are trying to GE me approved for ASAP surgery. My husband is leaving for three months early sept, and I have three kids so I really need it o happen when he's home. They are helpful but so far I've not heard back from the insurance company.

What are your fears and hesitations? One of my things is that so far I am relatively healthy, and I wonder if it's wrong for a healthy person to put themselves at risk with surgery that's not 100% necessary. I know that with my weight risks are there though and the older I get, more things will appear.

Hey Amanda. I guess overall Im cool with the idea of the surgery, my hesitation is just more abt the after effects, and making sure Im doing everything right so that nothing goes wrong. With in the last few years I have had issues with HBP, diabetes, acid reflux, hiatal hernia and sleep apnea. I am 32 and want to live a long life and be healthy. I just want the chance to feel good again and not worry with all the ailments this drastic weight gain has caused me.

Hey Amanda. I guess overall Im cool with the idea of the surgery' date=' my hesitation is just more abt the after effects, and making sure Im doing everything right so that nothing goes wrong. With in the last few years I have had issues with HBP, diabetes, acid reflux, hiatal hernia and sleep apnea. I am 32 and want to live a long life and be healthy. I just want the chance to feel good again and not worry with all the ailments this drastic weight gain has caused me.[/quote']

I guess I'm going to have to quote you every time I respond. Oh well. I worry too about the effects I'll have after, possibly forever. Like, I'm healthy now...am I going to give myself problems when I didn't have them? I have things like some back pain, especially when I first wake up, foot pain, but not sure if it's related to weight. (can't be good for it though). But I know my family has a history of diabetes, and my mom has all kinds of weight related issues. I think better go to bed for now. Hopefully I can find you again on here.:)

Its cool, at least Ill know you talking to me, lol!!!So if you dont have anything going on medically why do you want the surgery. If I felt like I could lose weight and get rid of all these medical issues it wouldnt be a question for me to look at alternate options. So I definitely have had to look at the opportunity this surgery is going to give to me. The surgery is going to allow me to regain control over my health and the longetivity of my future and thats what we have to focus on. If we do right by our bodies and do what we're suppose to do after the fact, our bodies will do right by us...

Hi there. I am hoping to have my surgery mid Dec. I have to wait 6 mo to fulfill insurance requirements. I am apprehensive about the surgery and after affects. I am 50 plus and have been overweight for many years. Have diabetes, HBP, just diagnosed with heart desease, have had spinal fusion and a bad leg. my back and leg make it hard to excersice. I have been doing Water aerobics 2 hrs a day 5 days a week for a year and have only lost about 5 lbs!! I am now using an app called my fittness pal that tracks everything. I just started using it this week and I think it is going to help me a lot. I just need to talk to other pre and post surgery peeps to see how they are doing.

Hey Becky, I definitely have been there with the trying to lose and then get discouraged when you feel you are trying and get no results. I definitely feel this forum is a great asset for pre and post because it gives insight to all stages of this opportunity we are all being blessed with. Im just wondering how long the process is bc I wanted to do it b4 Thanksgiving.

Well my insurance requires a 7 month supervised weight loss program. Tomorrow makes my 5th appointment. So far the dietician put me on a 1500 calorie diet and had me start with a multi Vitamin. The test that are required are different depending on the surgeon. Mine requires an EKG, a pulmonary function test, and endoscopy. And in October I have a psych evaluation. I an 5'8" and weigh 274.4 as of last appt. He wants me to lose 10 more pounds. Started out weighing 285-287. BM

I is 41.5

in most cases it depends on your insurance on how long the process is. I am required to meet with the diatician and excercise physiologist once a month for 6 mo. go through a psyc eval. after the 6 mo process my insurance will then approve or not approve me. I haven't been given a certain amount of wt that I have to loose before surgery however I am supposed to loose some. Yeah like I haven't tried that before!!!!!

I guess I'm going to have to quote you every time I respond. Oh well. I worry too about the effects I'll have after, possibly forever. Like, I'm healthy now...am I going to give myself problems when I didn't have them? I have things like some back pain, especially when I first wake up, foot pain, but not sure if it's related to weight. (can't be good for it though). But I know my family has a history of diabetes, and my mom has all kinds of weight related issues. I think better go to bed for now. Hopefully I can find you again on here. :)

Amanda, at the top of the screen there is a button that says "reply to this topic" that is how you make a post without using the quote if you want.

Well my insurance requires a 7 month supervised weight loss program. Tomorrow makes my 5th appointment. So far the dietician put me on a 1500 calorie diet and had me start with a multi Vitamin. The test that are required are different depending on the surgeon. Mine requires an EKG' date=' a pulmonary function test, and endoscopy. And in October I have a psych evaluation. I an 5'8" and weigh 274.4 as of last appt. He wants me to lose 10 more pounds. Started out weighing 285-287. BM

I is 41.5[/quote']

Congrats on the 10 lb weight loss thus far. I have Blue Cross and they dont require the supervised diet, they just want BMI to be 40< and psych and nutrition eval...Havent talked to the surgeon yet bc Emory only makes the appt once getting the medical clearance letter...

at my first appt I weighed 325. I weighed this morning and am now at 320. I believe using the fittness pal app is helping me see more clearly what I need to be eating.

I'm new here to I am in the middle stages. I am 33 years old married 5 kids and one grand son who is one . I have pcos sleep apnea and un 274 at 5 7 feet. I have done the orientation nutrition class meet with the surgeon once and in booked for the RN , social work and dietitian in sept. I live in Toronto Ontario. I meet the criteria for the augers. I m tired of the side lines if life. I want my life back and I want to live and be healthy. I love my family an I love life. I'm just tired of always being tired worrying if I'll wake up in the morning. In tired of fatty liver and bull crap. I need to embrace my journey and I néed support in the begining and theought my journey. My husband loves the way I look but hates the health issues that come with it. I am ready for everything if I can survive our kids two of them are special needs I can tackle this . Bring it on. Im here to support and be support. Journey is better travelled with many and not alone .