Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please provide me with advice

I'm 2 weeks post op today and 12 lbs down so I'm happy with my weight loss... today I'm able to start soft/ purée... For me this included scrambled egg, ground chicken, turkey etc. I decided to have an egg for Breakfast with a chicken sausage... Which is 25g Protein and 250 calories so I'm thinking its a good choice. My problem is when I swallow, it is very hard to get pills, and now eggs/ sausage down without it getting stuck going down causing nausea (and 1x vomiting )until it goes down... I know I'm told not to drink 30 min before & 30 min after but I had to take a few sips to get it to go down ... Needless to say I got down the egg but only 1/4 of the sausage ... & I'm full ...What can/ should I do about this? I look forward to hearing some advice, please!!

definitely make sure you're eating slower, taking very small bites of food and resting a couple of seconds between bites. this helps the first 4-6 weeks after surgery

chew A LOT. Tiny bites... If it does not improve, call the MD.

HINT, chicken sausage is not on my pureed list! You could grind it up to the consistancy of baby food if you want...

chew A LOT. Tiny bites... If it does not improve' date=' call the MD. HINT, chicken sausage is not on my pureed list! You could grind it up to the consistancy of baby food if you want...[/quote']

Thank you, I have chew chew chewed... That's right I meant to purée the sausage... Duh!!! How did I forget that I guess hunger/ anticipation of eating something " regular"... Silly me!!!

definitely make sure you're eating slower' date=' taking very small bites of food and resting a couple of seconds between bites. this helps the first 4-6 weeks after surgery[/quote']

I have been chewing and pausing... But I forgot to purée the sausage ... Talk about excited to eat "regular "food!! Thank you your advice!!! I appreciate it!!

Are you supposed to be eating sausage? That's on my list of things not to have...I'm 6 weeks post op and 1 egg white satisfies me. Maybe the egg n the sausage is too much?

Are you supposed to be eating sausage? That's on my list of things not to have...I'm 6 weeks post op and 1 egg white satisfies me. Maybe the egg n the sausage is too much?

I'm guessing I should have puréed it... But it's ground so I thought I could .. But puréed ... ... Ill chalk it up as a huge lesson learned!

Is it Vienna chicken sausage that you tried? Sausages in general are very fatty and made from a lot of stuff you wouldn't want in you. To boost my Protein I add cheese to my egg white.

Is it Vienna chicken sausage that you tried? Sausages in general are very fatty and made from a lot of stuff you wouldn't want in you. To boost my Protein I add cheese to my egg white.

Thanks a lot..... I realize my error.. No it was a regular chicken sausage... I agree they are fattening but this one had 19 grams of Protein .... 10 grams fat... I did add 1 oz of cheese to the egg... I'm told either 1 whole egg or 2 egg whites.... I wasn't able to get the whole sausage down just 1:4 & the egg before feeling full. So before attempting again I will purée it... Thanks for your advice

chicken Sausage (19g Protein + 10g fat) 170 calories

1 egg 80 calories

1 oz cheese 120 calories

--------

370 calories

That's a lot of calories for a meal at this stage. Your daily target now is probably around 800 calories and that is probably supposed to be spread over 4 or 5 meals, which equals around 200 calories per meal.

Also at that point my guidelines were that I could puree lean meats. The sausage gets half of its calories from fat.

I encourage you to check with your NUT to see if they feel this is what you should be eating.

Just because something has 19 grams of Protein doesn't make it good....it's also wise to look at fat, sugar and carb content.

chicken Sausage (19g Protein + 10g fat) 170 calories 1 egg 80 calories 1 oz cheese 120 calories -------- 370 calories That's a lot of calories for a meal at this stage. Your daily target now is probably around 800 calories and that is probably supposed to be spread over 4 or 5 meals' date=' which equals around 200 calories per meal. Also at that point my guidelines were that I could puree lean meats. The sausage gets half of its calories from fat. I encourage you to check with your NUT to see if they feel this is what you should be eating.[/quote']

Yes I realize that now , I only got the egg in and was full majority of the day but was able to get 60 more grams of Protein in because of Protein shakes.... So my total was 200 for each Protein shake and 400 and my 1 oz of cheese was 80 calories my egg was 70 calories so total for me was 560 the sausage honestly was more like 1/8 of it so I'll say 40-50 cal... Total 600-610... My plan focuses. more on getting in protein then calories at this stage but I realize I'm very limited still... Even with the bad choice with the sausage no one addressed getting the pills/ supplements down I'm to take Iron, Vitamin B 12, plus other supplements I've taken prior to the sleeve that I've been approved to take... But Thanks for your advice.I have a visit on Wednesday and will ask questions.

At two weeks out you should be crushing pills, maybe putting it in applesauce like half an ounce? To be honest with you I was so shocked by all that you're attempting to eat and the whole sausage thing that I stopped reading lol but yes try crushing the pills.

How are you taking the pills? I've been taking whole pills since the day after surgery. I take one at a time, 5 minutes between pills. Capsules I put in so they aren't going down sideways. I don't eat around pills, the only thing I take around food is Vitamins.< /p>

I'm at 7 weeks out. I eat at or less than 700 calories but I have to do that over 5 meals. So each meal is about 150 calories which is very little food at one time. A lot of times, my entire meal could be one egg and that's it.

As to drinking, for the first few weeks, I set a timer after my meals. As soon as 30 mins were up, I picked up my cup and started sipping. It's a lot of timing and planing at first! But it gets to be more second nature over time.

HTH