Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why/how did you choose MX for WLS?

Hi - (I posted this on OH as well)

I've been researching WLS and the sleeve for quite a while. I even had a date, but canceled after the recent death(s) and feeling like I wanted and needed additional food (irony) for thought and consideration. My current insurance does not cover WLS, but my insurance will be changing in November and they will likely cover a large portion of the WLS - but my out-of-pocket costs will still be more or similar to the amount MX WLS would cost (including airfare, etc.).

I'm interested to know...

If you were approved in USA, why/how did you choose Mexico?

If you are a health care professional, why/how did you choose Mexico?

What were your concerns and what were the answers that made you comfortable choosing Mexico?

I know so many of you have had terrific experiences and I enjoy reading them. However, I'm looking for the nitty gritty on how you found peace with your decision and the questions/steps/info that brought you to your final decision.

I greatly appreciate your feedback and hope these questions and your responses are helpful to others as well.

the duck

I am not a coordinator or superfluous poster who stands to gain from my posts. I'm the real deal - a working wife, friend, mentor, daughter, sister, business owner - always striving to be the best I can be. And, a mother of 2 amazing boys.

I'm a Registered Nurse. I chose Mexico because my insurance company would not approve my surgery. I did weeks of research on the internet to make a decision about which Physician I was going to choose. I decided on Dr. Guillermo Alvarez in Piedras Negras because no matter how hard I tried, I could not find one negative post about him or his practice. He also uses a full service hospital with an ICU and all the diagnostic equipment to manage any complication that could occur. He also keeps you in the hospital for 2 nights. I had an amazing experience. I would recommend him to any friends or family members that would consider this procedure. Not only is he a gifted Surgeon, he is compassionate, sincere and attentive. At 3 weeks out I was still getting emails with reminders about dietary changes and an invitation to contact him at any time with questions or concerns. 10 days out I was having some problems related to a hiatal hernia repair that was done at the same time. I sent him an email and he responded with a phone call. How many Dr's do you know that would call you on a Saturday evening just to reassure you and answer any questions you might have? He has a very interactive Face Book page and web site. He has hundreds of videos on "youtube", and has written an easy to read informative book. I really can't comment on any other Surgeons or facilities in Mexico. I can only share my own experience.

I am a Nurse Practitioner. I have researched over a year for surgeons both USA and Mexico as I am self pay. My insurance will not cover WLS. If I had insurance that would pay, I would have surgery in the states without a doubt. Just for the follow up care and to be close to home for that reason alone. With that said, my research has lead me to agree with Amy regarding Dr. Alvarez, the previous poster. I am also considering Dr. Illan for my own surgery for cost reasons. Have not heard anything negative about either of these surgeons. Good luck.

Not a nurse, just a regular "Joe" here, lol. I originally had the band, and had it done in the US. My insurance didn't cover it, but I had received a small inheritance that just covered the cost of the surgery. When my band started giving me problems, I knew I had to have it out and revise to the sleeve. I had spent a great deal of time on the forums, doing research and felt very comfortable in my decision to go to Mexico. Price wise, it just made sense. And, when doing my research, I actually found most of the surgeons were just as well trained and experienced, if not more so, than many of the US ones.

As far as the risks, everyone has to be realistic about this, it doesn't matter what type of surgery you are having, there are going to be risks. This isn't minor surgery we are talking about. What is important is that you do your research, talk to actual patients of the surgeons you are considering and weigh the risks against the benefits. For me, I knew there were risks for complications, but, statistically speaking, they are rare. I was borderline diabetic, my weight was causing additional stress to my back problems to where just walking was becoming difficult, and there was a strong history of heart disease in my family. My chances of death to complications from obesity far outweighed the risks of surgery. To me, it was a no-brainer, I needed the surgery.

In terms of when a doctor loses a patient, well, here are my thoughts. It saddens me when that happens, it is awful for the family, and everyone involved. However, I think if you honestly look at it realistically, there aren't many surgeons who have been in the business for any period of time that haven't lost a patient. And, no, I am not just referring to weight loss surgeons, I mean surgeons in general. It is a fact of life, complications happen, deaths happen. We don't like to talk about it, but they do. When a surgeon loses a patient during heart surgery, gall bladder removal, cancer surgery or any other type of surgery, people don't freak out about it like they do with weight loss surgery. They don't all converge on a forum and discuss it, etc. They don't demand to know all the details, etc. To me, it is like they are oblivious to the fact that the same complications and risk that can occur with general surgery also exist with weight loss surgery, and are shocked when they discover they do.

I am not saying we should ignore it when a weight loss surgeon loses a patient, or turn our heads the other way. I am just saying we need to go into this with our eyes wide open and understand the real risks involved. Do your research. Don't accept everything you read on a forum as fact, because let's face it, we all know one piece of misinformation can be put out there, then everyone else runs with it in a panic and the next thing you know, things are blown way out of proportion and nobody really knows the truth or who to believe. Call the surgeon directly. Speak with his patients who have already had surgery with him/her. Ask for their complication rates. Google them. Then, make your choice based on your own research, knowing you have learned everything you can, you have weighed the risks against the benefits and are confident you have made the best choice for you.

I am a health care professional, and I chose Mexico b/c my insurance would not cover it in the states. I am almost 2 weeks post-op and am very pleased with my decision. I used Dr. Valenzuela in TJ. All the physicians were friendly and knowledgeable. Dr. V herself is a fantastic surgeon. The nursing staff was very attentive and on top of their game. The hospital was clean and equipment was up to date. All and all it was a better hospital experience than any I have ever had in the states and would do it again in a minute.

Susan -

I agree, this is no small thing. For that reason, I am actually grateful that the recent tragedies have resulted in people (including me) taking a deep breath and stepping back a bit. We SHOULD take it seriously and remind ourselves of the risks and possible complications as well as the life-changing benefits.

I am in no position to comment on these recent losses as I did not know them or their families. I can only pray for peace and comfort for those who knew and loved them. In some small way, I feel they did not pass away in vain. The fact that people are researching more, educating themselves and asking questions is a wonderful memorial. For me, it is a small blessing because it DID cause me pause and prompted me to double, triple, quadruple check my rationale and research.

I should say, I do not judge any of the surgeons nor do I place blame on the medical professionals or patients. While many people find peace in knowing how many surgeries any one doctor has performed, I feel compelled to point out that with more surgeries, the complication rates and possible fatalities increase as well. That's just basic math...no matter the location, country or medical professional. If US surgeons were performing up to 6 surgeries a day, we would hear of more complications and fatalities. With frequency comes expertise, but also potentially more problems.

I'm drawn to Mexico for many of the reasons stated above, including price. I'm also concerned about after-care because my PCP is supportive, but has also given me insight into how many US physicians/surgeons approach procedures done outside the states. Not that they are unsupportive or do not appreciate the skills of non-domestic medical professional, it has to do with documentation, accountability and their own liability, malpractice and complication statistics. And, most of these surgeons do not have individual malpractice insurance, rather the facilities do. This is one PCP's take, and I respect her perspective.

I am so grateful for the opinions (to which we are all entitled) and advice on this forum. I see it as another element in my process of researching and decision making. Even if it is a post that I question in terms of credibility or motivation, I take it for what it is, with a grain of salt and recognize this is an open forum with pros and cons, much like every surgeon, hospital and patient. We are all human and take risks everyday. Not one person here has the answers that will make someone decide one way or another. In the end, it is our decision to make, own and live.

My gratitude for all who share their stories.

i hear folks rethinking WLS due to the recent deaths related to it.. But what i don't understand is we hear how folks get killed everyday on the roads and we never think twice about hopping in our car... If we die related to the surgery it was our predestined death date.. everyone has one...u can die from anything we just have to stay prayed up and know in whom you believe...lol

I am in the medical field as well and my insurance does not cover WLS. However, I did include local US doctors in my research. In the end, I went with the doctor with the most experience and lowest complication rate. He just happens to be in Mexico. I havent had sx yet so I can't tell you if it was a good decision or not. My only hesitation is the lack of post-op care directly from my surgeon (beyond the first 4 days anyways) First, I don't know if any local surgeons would treat me if I were to have complications. Secondly, the closest one is 3 hours away. Thirdly, that one is only a general surgeon (even though he does WLS) and the closest certified bariatric surgeon is 5 hours away. My remote locale really made my decision to find an excellent surgeon that much more important.

Like you, my insurance covered it but the out of pocket costs were still more expensive than Mexico. Shoot, one SF surgeon wanted to charge me $6k out of pocket for a 'program fee' before he would even consider doing the surgery for me. He didn't care that I wasn't local and couldn't partake in the program, he wanted his $6k. To me, that money may as well have been a million dollars, I simply didn't have it.

I've been a CNA and a hospice aide, so not a higher practicing health care professional but it's still healthcare. I also love doing research. What I found was that not only were most Mexican surgeons cheaper, they had far more experience with the VSG than American surgeons. A couple of the surgeons in Mexico that I was looking at either trained in Europe/other countries, or themselves had taught other, well-respected surgeons how to do the VSG. That was one of the main draws for me, these people knew what they were doing and had vast amounts of experience.

Ultimately, I knew that I wanted to have the surgery. I lost 90lbs pre-op, but it took four years. the entire year before surgery I didn't lose a single pound no matter what I did... every passing day, week, month without seeing the scale move just made me more and more depressed. I was trying SO hard, with zero results, and it got to where I was in tears nearly every day. I lost my job over a back injury, I had about $5k in savings, and then I just happened across a VST post about a Mexican doc doing this surgery for just under $5k. I literally put my life's savings into this surgery, virtually every cent that I really couldn't afford to lose, because I need to lose this weight for my physical health and, more acutely, my emotional health.

This isn't rosy or cheery, but I ultimately made my peace with having surgery in Mexico because if I died, so what? I have no money, my living situation has me very depressed, I'm a 25 year old college student with no SO or kids, so the only 'bad' thing about my death would be the impact on my family. Outside of my cats and family, I have nothing to really live for. If I did die, it would just save the Earth quite a bit of resources because I'm not contributing anything to society (yet, once I finish school I'll be a hard working physicians assistant). I mean I'm glad that I came through it alive, but the whole time leading up to surgery I was just in a state of complete calm because I genuinely didn't care what happened.

I will say that all things considered, this is the best thing I've ever done for myself and I don't regret the Mexico part of it at all. I would repeat the whole thing again in a heartbeat.

I did all the research as well. Called patients by phone and Facebook. Mexico was my only option price wise. As far as aftercare see if you Dr. will be available by skype? If you have any problems they should be willing to talk to you and advise you what to do. I know Dr. Illan will skype if requested. You have to have the peace to know you are making the right decision for you in the end. Good luck on your journey!

I have worked in the health care field for many years. WLS is not covered under my group plan and I felt I had no other options but to go to Mexico for my surgery. I did look into cash pay in the states, but I just could not pay what they were asking. I chose to go to Jerusalem Hospital purely based on a financial stand point. I prepared myself mentally and emotionally and I took the plunge. This is what I had to do in order to improve the quality of my life, and perhaps the quantity. It was a gamble I was willing to take. Seriously, If I allowed fear to take over I would still be sitting at home feeling like crap wishing I could have this and dreaming of the future I could be having instead of living it.

I was so angry when I found out that my insurance wouldn't cover any type of WLS. I was determined to find a way to do it. I googled " affordable self pay Weight loss surgery". Tijuana Mexico came up. I remembered saying... Oh great...tijuana. But I have been on a very in depth research of Medical Tourism in TJ and I am absolutely confident that I've made the right choice to get sleeved in TJ.

Of course it's sad to hear about the death. All surgeries come with risk. I'm actually surprised there aren't more fatalities or complications just based on the simple fact that were higher risk at a higher weight (co morbidities).

I'm booked for nov 1st. So looking forward to starting the new chapter in my life. I acknowledge the associated risks and I plan to stick with the rules and guidelines and advise of my doc to minimize complications.

Mexico is affordable. The doctors are super experienced. And I look forward to the adventure. Also ... We don't have to jump through all the hoop that ppl getting sleeved in the US do. No wait time, phyc eval, mandatory 10% weight loss ets etc.

Mexico just makes sence. I chose Dr Valensuela. 50 days Til surg. Super excited!

My insurance DOES cover the sleeve. My BMI was 37 and I had well controlled hypertension And I was DENIED surgery. Would have been OK if I were fatter (over 40 BMI), but since my BP was controlled with two meds, surgery denied.

I had paid all our $5,000 annual deductible to go through all the insurance company's requirements at my local bariatric center. So so so mad! Insurance companies don't care about their patients. They actually need us to be sick so they can make money. So, I got mad & determined. Figured I needed to take the lead on what is best for me.

Started doing research on VerticalSleeveTalk and learned about Mexico. Picked a surgeon, got my passport, and 7 months later am down 75 lbs. You are welcome to read through my blog. Talks about pre-surgery, selecting a surgeon, surgery day, recovery, and milestones after surgery. Right now, I am about 18 lbs from my goal. I am so greatful we have the option of so many surgeons in Mexico to help us. www.hoosierfatty.wordpress.com