Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm looking at the tv this morning and I see a commercial for lap band surgery it's got a doctor on it touting all the bariatric surgeries he's done (bypass, band,and sleeve)

He goes on to say that he recommends the band to most of his patients because its much safer than the SLEEVE ???

It then shows a study at the bottom that said banded patients have 64% FEWER complications after one year and 74% less in 30 days...

Interesting, very, very interesting...

Hmmm...... :huh:

So I'm looking at the tv this morning and I see a commercial for lap band surgery it's got a doctor on it touting all the bariatric surgeries he's done (bypass' date=' band,and sleeve)

He goes on to say that he recommends the band to most of his patients because its much safer than the band????

It then shows a study at the bottom that said banded patients have 64% FEWER complications after one year and 74% less in 30 days...

Interesting, very, very interesting...

[/quote']

That's really interesting considering all the posts on revisions. My surgeon said he expected it to be gone in the next 5 yrs. maybe it's a last ditch effort to save it.

That's really interesting considering all the posts on revisions. My surgeon said he expected it to be gone in the next 5 yrs. maybe it's a last ditch effort to save it.

Bingo!! Scary stuff...

It is being completely phased out in my neck of the woods.

Notice in the commercial how they said it was recommended to people who only needed to lose 30 lbs....Then the woman comes on and quickly says the possible problems with this surgery.....

I have never read one story that the band did not slip or infection happened or they could not find the part that they sew to your side....

Sleeve all the way for me....

That is odd. I had a band and it moved up above the stomach and I had to have it removed. My surgeon said he is doing more removals of the band than installing the band. I had so much trouble with the band and put up with it for almost 10 years before I finally had it removed.

I saw that it says at the bottom for people who are a 40 BMI and at the same time they say for people that need to lose 30 pounds??

Yep and the fast talking woman saying slips are extremely "rare" :P

...he recommends the band to most of his patients because its much safer than the band????

Did you mean safer than the sleeve?

Wow, that commercial is ridiculous. First of all, could the doctor look any more like he's on hash? For something he claims to be an adamant proponent of, he appears unenthused. Secondly, WHHAAAAAAAAT? LapBand is the BEST choice for most people? Least complications? Most successful weight loss? Where did he find these statistics - were they given to him by a kangaroo?

(No offense to our Aussie sisters and brothers. I'm sure you have more reliable resources than kangaroos at your disposal.)

I know 2 people that got the band. The first lady is a close friend. She suffered horribly to the point she almost died of infection. A year after getting the band it got infected. Fluid built up in her abdomen and closed off her esophagus. She didn't know about the infection till 5th day she couldn't eat without vomiting. Finally she went to the ER(thank GOD she didn't go septic), she removed it and was left with scar tissue and damage to her intestine. The second women is my uncles wife. She was around 400 pounds when she got the band. She lost about 200 with constant vomiting. She lived off of Soups. then it got to the point she couldn't handle the vomiting so she loosened it and has gained back allot of weight. My mother wants to get the band because that's the only thing her insurance will cover. I'm so worried about her. I wish I had money to pay for her sleeve :(

My Dr. says they specifically talk people OUT of the band. They also mention they get more people coming in for band issues/complications in the ER than any other surgery...which is why they won't do them.

I do find it funny though that so many "random" Drs are touting how great the band is all of a sudden. For a while I didn't see any commercials for the band. I wondered why it went from many to practically zero.

I know 2 people that got the band. The first lady is a close friend. She suffered horribly to the point she almost died of infection. A year after getting the band it got infected. Fluid built up in her abdomen and closed off her esophagus. She didn't know about the infection till 5th day she couldn't eat without vomiting. Finally she went to the ER(thank GOD she didn't go septic), she removed it and was left with scar tissue and damage to her intestine. The second women is my uncles wife. She was around 400 pounds when she got the band. She lost about 200 with constant vomiting. She lived off of Soups. then it got to the point she couldn't handle the vomiting so she loosened it and has gained back allot of weight. My mother wants to get the band because that's the only thing her insurance will cover. I'm so worried about her. I wish I had money to pay for her sleeve :(

One woman I know that got the band, stopped going to get her fills after about 5 months because she couldn't take the vomiting. They could never get her fill right. She managed to keep some of the weight off, but she is still over 300 lbs and regrets the decision.

Why would he not tout something that he will get triple money on? Put band in, Take Band out, Sleeve! Come the guy has a life style to keep up with!