Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do Not Take PPIs if at all Possible

My surgeon prescribed Prilosec even though I never complained of GERD or acid reflux at all. I never took them and here is why: Once you are on the drug, when you try to go off of it, your acid production increases to a state higher than it was before you took the drug causing people to have to go back on it -- FOREVER.

I simply do not put poison into my body. Same with statins.

Now this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/melaniehaiken/2013/07/12/common-acid-reflux-drugs-could-raise-risk-of-heart-disease-new-research-suggests/?partner=yahootix

As with statins, there are WAY too many side effects. There are people with serious reflux disease that really have little choicw, but don't start taking them "just as a precaution" or to tame an occasional acid stomach. There are plenty of safe and natural ways to go about it.

My surgeon prescribed Prilosec even though I never complained of GERD or acid reflux at all. I never took them and here is why: Once you are on the drug, when you try to go off of it, your acid production increases to a state higher than it was before you took the drug causing people to have to go back on it -- FOREVER.

Now this:

http://www.forbes.co...artner=yahootix

As with statins, there are WAY too many side effects. There are people with serious reflux disease that really have little choicw, but don't start taking them "just as a precaution" or to tame an occasional acid stomach. There are plenty of safe and natural ways to go about it.

Thanks - years too late for me. :(

I agree! Drs are so fast at dishing out drugs for reasons unknown.. Except that the drug companies encourage them to do so. My surgeon doesn't put his patients on any PPI and I'm glad. I've had some reflux and luckily Zantac or tums are working for me.

America is so over medicated ... It's scary

My doctor tries to put me on statins every time I see him. My cholesterol is high, but all other blood work including triglycerides is stellar. He writes "Patient refuses medication" on my chart to cover his arse.

I may be an extreme case as I don't even take Tylenol unless my head is busting open. I could have been flying through my surgery recovery in a haze of morphine, but I'll bet you that I recovered faster than I would have otherwise.

I was prescribed Prilosec also and after surgery I did not take it but a week after surgery I was still in so much pain that I was having to take pain meds every 4 hours to keep the pain under control. When I would get on this site I would see posts where people were 2 days past surgery and feeling good and I was feeling like crap. I just happened upon another post that said that taking the Prilosec would help with the pain. I started taking it and within one day my pain was completely gone. I am now completely back to normal and feeling great! I asked my Dr. how long I would take it and he said a total of 6 weeks. I had a hiatal hernia repaired also and was taking Nexium daily before surgery. I was told that this repair would mean that I would be medication free so I am really hoping that is the case.

I am now completely back to normal and feeling great! I asked my Dr. how long I would take it and he said a total of 6 weeks. I had a hiatal hernia repaired also and was taking Nexium daily before surgery. I was told that this repair would mean that I would be medication free so I am really hoping that is the case.

Glad you found the answer. You are one of those for whom it is necessary for the short term because of that hiatal hernia. I was one of the lucky ones.I had no pain and no complications. I only had some discomfort from the gas which I walked off like one possessed. I do attribute some of it to the fact that I treated this surgery as something akin to a vacation and a new lease on life.

I tried not to take any and was fine for the first month then it got too painful to not take them I tried everything before having to resort to them. I have been able to start decreasing how often I take them it was daily until about a month ago and now almost 9 mo post op I am back down to every other day instead of daily

I took a PPI for the first 6 months post-op and didn't notice any side effects when I stopped taking it. But everyone is different!

Lynda

I will be sleeved in about three weeks. I've never had to take them before, but my surgeon wants me to take them leading up to the surgery, and afterward for a while. I wonder if maybe taking them at half the prescribed dosage would give me enough benefits with fewer side effects?

I am 4 months posts-op. I was told by my dr and nut if I didn't take one daily before Breakfast every day for one year...I'd develop acid reflux,gerd, etc etc....so I have been taking it...I've never had any problems prior to surgery...wonder if I should stop?

I am 4 months posts-op. I was told by my dr and nut if I didn't take one daily before Breakfast every day for one year...I'd develop acid reflux' date='gerd, etc etc....so I have been taking it...I've never had any problems prior to surgery...wonder if I should stop?[/quote']

Please don't stop without talking to your doctor. Your doc put you on these to prevent ulcers. Our stomach pre-surgery are obviously very big. And most of the time, in someone who is overweight, they produce a lot of acid. Well when we have our sleeves and remove 85%, our stomach produces the same amount of acid. (At least until the body catches up and realizes the changes) Lots of acid....tiny stomach...could lead to ulcers. That being said, there are other options you can discuss with your doctor. Pepcid and Zantac fight acid that is already there. (Whereas PPI's prevent acid from being released in the first place). I am a pharmacist...I have yet to see any "black box warnings" or anything on PPI. And I started taking Prilosec post op. Bottom line...if you are concerned about it, then talk it over with your doctor.

My surgeon prescribed Prilosec even though I never complained of GERD or acid reflux at all. I never took them and here is why: Once you are on the drug' date=' when you try to go off of it, your acid production increases to a state higher than it was before you took the drug causing people to have to go back on it -- FOREVER.

Now this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/melaniehaiken/2013/07/12/common-acid-reflux-drugs-could-raise-risk-of-heart-disease-new-research-suggests/?partner=yahootix

As with statins, there are WAY too many side effects. There are people with serious reflux disease that really have little choicw, but don't start taking them "just as a precaution" or to tame an occasional acid stomach. There are plenty of safe and natural ways to go about it.[/quote']

While I appreciate your opinion and your choice, posts like these are terribly dangerous. PPIs have very little risk and they serve a great purpose to those of us with smaller stomachs. Preventing ulcers! Please please, anyone reading this. DO NOT STOP your PPI without discussing with your doctor. Discuss your concerns and collaboratively come up with a plan.

I found a nice article online that discusses this. While it specifically refers to bypass patients, the same applies to us. https://www.slhn.org/docs/newsletter/bariatrics%20-%20ulcers.pdf

Reflux coming up into the esophogus can also lead to Barrett's esophagus which is a pre cancerous condition. If it causes you to throw up all the time it can also lead over time to a severely weakened gag reflex. I went for several years without treating mine and things got very bad. If you need a ppi take it.

If I had started PPIs years earlier I wouldn't have been mistaking the acid pains for hunger pains.... If I don't take them now, then I STILL get those 'hunger' pains. So for me, they are wonderful!

I agree with not taking them if you don't have to...however, I'm just a week out, but without Prilosec (when it wears off in 12 hours) I am a choking, violently-coughing mess. So I am of course interested to find out all I can to counteract the potential long term effects in the event I need these to function forever! :)

The thread below has good details...it really sounds like the connection with magnesium deficiency with PPI use is one of the main themes, at least something we can supplement to counteract what we can.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/85245-long-term-ppi-usage/page__hl__magnesium#entry880645