Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does protein actually HELP you lose weight?

The reason I'm asking is because I will be 3 weeks post op tomorrow and absolutely CANNOT take Protein Shakes anymore. I am on soft foods and that is basically the only Protein I have been getting in the last week or so. I try to eat fish or chicken of some sort each meal, so I am getting protein from my food. I know protein will help me not lose muscle, etc., but does it actually HELP you lose weight? In other words, if I continue with just getting protein through my foods wil it slow my weight loss down? I get my fluids (water) in each day. Please advise.

If you are reaching 60-80 grams with food alone, I think it should be fine. You're lucky. I have at least two shakes a day and I'm 3 months out. I tried to quit the shakes but stopped losing because I could not get all my Protein in.

Read the alkaline diet by dr vassey. Its an alternative to such high levels of Protein. Offers some great advice. My friends husband lost 300 pounds soley doing this way of life. He is now a dr of natural medicine. Worth a look.

Read the alkaline diet by dr vassey. Its an alternative to such high levels of Protein. Offers some great advice. My friends husband lost 300 pounds soley doing this way of life. He is now a dr of natural medicine. Worth a look.

Interesting. I've never heard of that. I'll look it up!

I weened myself off the shakes as well. I refused to be a slave to chemicals.

EVERYTHING I eat has Protein. The point of Protein is its the cornerstone of what we are made up of and we have to have it to keep building our bodies the correct way. It's filling and keeps you satisfied longer. It does not deplete your body of nutrients and minerals, it gives back to your body.

Good for you to let go of the shakes. Make sure that you get enough protein. Eat that egg in the morning with some Breakfast meat, eat some lunch meat and cheese for lunch, some greek yogurt or string cheese for Snacks and eat some fish or shrimp or whatever you like for dinner.

Its super easy to get in everything you need if you are continually eating.

I eat by the clock. If I am not eating by the clock I stop losing. Make sure you have something high in protein in your mouth every 2-3 hours. and drink your fluids in between.

Good luck, Its a full time job taking care of you!

For me I must get the 70-80g of Protein daily in order to lose weight. Whenever I don't meet those guidelines I stall. Also, I am having some trouble with Protein powders. The best one for me is the IsoNatural mixed with non-dairy such as Soups, cream of wheat, Almond milk, etc.

Also, I just found a product made by Sunkist (my Dierbergs carries it also found on Amazon much cheaper). It is a clear fruity liquid that mixes well with Water. 100 cal with 24g protein. It is packaged in a way similar to those 5 hour energy drinks but is solely a protein supplement. This has been very easy on my stomach and makes getting my fluids in much easier as well. Worth checking into.

For me I must get the 70-80g of Protein daily in order to lose weight. Whenever I don't meet those guidelines I stall. Also' date=' I am having some trouble with Protein powders. The best one for me is the IsoNatural mixed with non-dairy such as Soups, cream of wheat, Almond milk, etc.

Also, I just found a product made by Sunkist (my Dierbergs carries it also found on Amazon much cheaper). It is a clear fruity liquid that mixes well with Water. 100 cal with 24g protein. It is packaged in a way similar to those 5 hour energy drinks but is solely a protein supplement. This has been very easy on my stomach and makes getting my fluids in much easier as well. Worth checking into.[/quote']

What is it called? I'd like to order it.

Love almond milk!

What is it called? I'd like to order it.

It's called Sunkist Protein. Come in orange, fruit punch and grape. All flavors are good to me. They go for 3 dollars a bottle at my Dierbergs grocery store, but I found them on Amazon for just over a dollar each

Here is what they look like. :)

post-61000-138136675624_thumb.jpg

Wow awesome. I havent seen them at my grocery store. Definitely need to order them! Thanks.

Love almond milk!

I have been wondering about almond milk. Any particular brand? I know nothing about the Protein and sugar in it. But if it is good for you with Protein and all that i would like to try it.

what kind of Protein? is it the collagen type that people frown upon or an isolate?

I have been wondering about almond milk. Any particular brand? I know nothing about the Protein and sugar in it. But if it is good for you with Protein and all that i would like to try it.

My doc and Nut highly recommended almond milk when dairy causes issues. I try to buy organic when I can make it over to my Whole foods but most times I buy the Silk Pure Almond milk (unflavored keeps down sugars and calories). It mixes well with protein powders just like the dairy version.