Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was told to reintroduce foods, only a few weeks out after surgery. Right now, I am a little over 6 weeks out, and I have only gotten sick twice. Both times was with red meat. Hamburgers to be exact. What I find confusing, and curious if anyone knows about is why Hamburger? I mean the first time, it was a half of a hamburger, made on the grill. We made sure to use lean meat. However, after a few bites, up it came. Happened again just a few days ago. However, things like meatballs, made from the same hamburger, I have no problem with. Is this odd, or does it have to do with how it is cooked?

I have to wait 3 months post op for beef, pork & lamb (and most raw veggies). It's just something that's not always well tolerated right after surgery. It might be bothering you now, but maybe later it won't so much. I've noticed that different cooking techniques with eggs seems to have an effect on how well they sit. My guess with the meatballs would be that they were cooked in a moister environment?

Did you have a bun on the burger? If so, it may have been the bread.< /p>

My NUT said it has to do with how it's cooked. The grill may have more of a drying effect, the drier the more likely you'll reject it.

They encourage you to have moist foods early on, which I would say that a meatball is a lot more moist than a grilled hamburger....

At a few weeks out, I was eating pureed foods, and was told it had to be able to be pushed through a small sieve. I'd think Hamburger would be too dense, and you probably aren't chewing it as well as you think you are!

Like Andi said, one of the things I've read about meats is that red meats are often the hardest to digest. Maybe that's why we love our steaks and burgers pre-op--they make us feel nice and full for a long while as our stomachs try to figure out how to break all that carnivore fuel down!

That all makes a lot of sense. None of my NUT is covered under my insurance, and I can not afford the 200+ dollars for each visit. So, I am learning as much as I can. My doc did tell me the red meat would be difficult, but if I was doing meatballs, then hamburger should be fine. However, seeing what all of you guys are writing, it really does make sense, and shocked I did not think of it like that. I will keep that in mind, from now on. Plus, anytime I have difficulty introducing something new, I go back to my soft foods diet for the rest of the day, and the next and restart again. So far, seems to be working ok. Still can not eat much, but the loss of weight is amazing.

Don't worry so much about eating lean at this point. A little fat isn't going to hurt you, just don't go full on. Like the OPs it is the density of the meat that gave you the problem. Eating really lean on the grill will dry out the meat. You can sauce it up if you want, or use a less lean meat. Try mixing a little A1 into the meat or an egg, anything that will introduce some extra moisture.

That all makes a lot of sense. None of my NUT is covered under my insurance, and I can not afford the 200+ dollars for each visit. So, I am learning as much as I can. My doc did tell me the red meat would be difficult, but if I was doing meatballs, then hamburger should be fine. However, seeing what all of you guys are writing, it really does make sense, and shocked I did not think of it like that. I will keep that in mind, from now on. Plus, anytime I have difficulty introducing something new, I go back to my soft foods diet for the rest of the day, and the next and restart again. So far, seems to be working ok. Still can not eat much, but the loss of weight is amazing.

You might want to ask them if they will charge you a reduced rate for the NUT service. My insurance didn't cover it either, but I didn't know it and already had the visit, and they discounted the $150 visit to $30. They don't get the full amount from insurance companies either, and many will work with self pay patients.

Hamburgers grilled is really dry and will irritate your stomach. I love meatballs with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. So delicious.

I'm almost six weeks out too and I'm the exact same. I've had great success with everything except hamburger. Not even need perse, but hamburger!

I can eat beef bologna or sausage but I tried to eat a homemade burger (plain, no bun) at about week 4 and I felt horrible after a couple bites. I was up pacing the room trying to keep it down (mild puking phobia here!) and eventually it subsided. Haven't tried beef since then. I'm not a fan of red meat so I don't care too much, but I did find it odd. I've even started introducing grains. I had chicken on a tortilla today and it was excellent! Gonna avoid hamburger for a while though.

My Not said tenderloin for steak, but chuck for burgers 80/20, cheap stuff. Give it a go!

Try soaking your beef patties in beef broth to make the meat more easy so it's easier to get down and stay down if they are to dry that might upset your sleeve.