Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a week out today!!!! I stayed 2 nights in the hospital and have felt great since I have been home. Getting fluids in and Protein, but when I get up and take a shower, do my hair and makeup I am shaky and weak after. Is it normal to still feel weak a week post op? I need to get my strength back so I can head back to work in a week.

That's how it was for me.

Very, very normal. The reason for the weakness is the drastically reduced caloric intake. Your strength will return, no worries about that. It took a full 2 weeks for me to be able to make it through a whole day without feeling the need to rest.

Very' date=' very normal. The reason for the weakness is the drastically reduced caloric intake. Your strength will return, no worries about that. It took a full 2 weeks for me to be able to make it through a whole day without feeling the need to rest.[/quote']

I'm glad you said that, I have to go back to work on the 10th and I was worried.

my experience was also as others have posted...at the end of a full work day, I am still a little tired (at 3.5 weeks out)...it is getting better each day though

I am 10 days post op and I can't do much and it hurts so bad to try and bend to pick something up and even sit down .. And it's been 4 days where I have had a sharp pain when I take a deep breath, on my left side that is the only pain I have left but when I walk I have to hold my left side in to walk with out pain did anyone have this problem ?

I'm a week out also...and it really depends on the person, everyone recovers at different rates...I did my hair and make up the next day at hospital. I started work yesterday, went grocery shopping, walked about 2 miles a day since day 4. Driving fine, getting my nails done this afternoon. I was okayed to go to the gym. No pain really only restriction dr has is no swimming and that is hard when its above 90 degrees

why no swimming, Janice?

I'm 8 days out from surgery and I have been really weak. Yesterday I took a shower, got ready, went to my 1 week dr. appt then grocery shopping for an hour and a half. Felt aweful!!!! Back sore, abdomen sore. But today I'm much better. The nurse said that it's normal because we just had major surgery. It's going to take a while to get back to our usual speed.

I'm 8 days out from surgery and I have been really weak. Yesterday I took a shower' date=' got ready, went to my 1 week dr. appt then grocery shopping for an hour and a half. Felt aweful!!!! Back sore, abdomen sore. But today I'm much better. The nurse said that it's normal because we just had major surgery. It's going to take a while to get back to our usual speed.[/quote']

Thank you for posting!!! This makes me feel better, I was starting to worry!!! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Hi everyone! I'm 16 days out and was so weak that I could barely function. The doc just told me to be patient, that some people just take longer to heal. Well, today I had an appointment with my NUT and she knew the problem as soon as she saw my food logs. I was so focused on getting my Protein and liquids in, that I was not getting enough carbs to give me energy. She said that this was probably the only time I would hear this from her EVER, but told me into increase my carbs. She suggested I try to hit 50 grams a day and said I would notice a huge change. She made me eat a graham cracker and drink a cup of skim milk before heading home, because I was so shaky. The differnce in how I feel tonight is unreal! I have energy again! I was so obsessed with drinking a low (no) carb Protein Drink, that I was only getting 15-20 carbs a day.

So.....just some food for thought for those of you who are weak after surgery.

I felt the same way. I'm 6 weeks out and just started getting more energy around 5 weeks. It just takes your body time to recover from surgery and the drastic reduction in calories. Just make sure you're taking in your Protein, Water and Vitamins and you'll be having plenty of energy soon!

I am 10 days post op and I can't do much and it hurts so bad to try and bend to pick something up and even sit down .. And it's been 4 days where I have had a sharp pain when I take a deep breath' date=' on my left side that is the only pain I have left but when I walk I have to hold my left side in to walk with out pain did anyone have this problem ?[/quote']

Yes, that's normal. It's where you have internal stitches in the muscle. I hurt for about 4 weeks then it suddenly went away. I'm 6 weeks out. It even hurt to turn over in bed! Be patient and let your body heal. It will go away by your 6th week.

I felt the same way. I'm 6 weeks out and just started getting more energy around 5 weeks. It just takes your body time to recover from surgery and the drastic reduction in calories. Just make sure you're taking in your protein' date=' Water and Vitamins and you'll be having plenty of energy soon![/quote']

That's great info!!! I'm not hardly having any carbs at all. My Dr told us no carbs!!! I'm going to change it up.... Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using VST