Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just ate some trader joes popcorn cooked in olive oil with a hint of salt. Was this a bad idea? I work out 4 times a week and have a physical job. Im 7 weeks post op. I think I deserve a little popcorn.

At 7weeks you aren't at any real risk of harming yourself. Just be careful how much you have and make sure to include the calories of the olive oil into your calculation. Oils are almost pure fat. I'd recommend going air popped or getting the 100calorie pre measured microwave bags.

I work out 4 times a week and have a physical job. Im 7 weeks post op. I think I deserve a little popcorn.< /p>

I really have no idea, but I wanted you to know that this made me smile. Popcorn in small quantities, that isn't doused in extreme amounts of butter, never hurt anybody :)

I love popcorn, but get yourself an air popper, then you can control the butter, seasonings, etc :-)

The problem with popcorn is not that it is fattening, its because the hulls, (the hard brown crunchy part) does not get metabolized by your body. Just like coconut and most seeds, it comes out of your body in pretty much the same condition as it went in, hopefully that is. With full size stomachs we used to be able to drink enough liquid to flush things through. We cannot do that with our new streamline tummies! Undigested particles and Fiber can get trapped in our stomachs and create something called a Bezoar. They continue to collect other pieces, growing larger until they cannot be passed through and have to be surgically removed. So, it would be wise not to eat it again! There are a lot of reasons we are not supposed to eat certain things now, other than just the weight factor. If you are going to push the limits, at least wait until you are much farther out and have lost most or all of your desired weight! WLS only works for a short time unless you abide by the guidelines.

The problem with popcorn is not that it is fattening, its because the hulls, (the hard brown crunchy part) does not get metabolized by your body. Just like coconut and most seeds, it comes out of your body in pretty much the same condition as it went in, hopefully that is. With full size stomachs we used to be able to drink enough liquid to flush things through. We cannot do that with our new streamline tummies! Undigested particles and Fiber can get trapped in our stomachs and create something called a Bezoar. They continue to collect other pieces, growing larger until they cannot be passed through and have to be surgically removed. So, it would be wise not to eat it again! There are a lot of reasons we are not supposed to eat certain things now, other than just the weight factor. If you are going to push the limits, at least wait until you are much farther out and have lost most or all of your desired weight! WLS only works for a short time unless you abide by the guidelines.

Where did you hear this?? My NUT has popcorn on approved list of foods?

Just wondering?

My surgeon allows popcorn once you are at 4 months post-op (due to the seeds/hulls--he has the same restriction on other seeds and nuts--these are the last things he allows us to add to our diet). You may want to ask your surgeon's office what they advise.

My surgeon/and nutritionist both have listed popcorn as an item on the do not eat list.

The problem with popcorn is not that it is fattening, its because the hulls, (the hard brown crunchy part) does not get metabolized by your body. Just like coconut and most seeds, it comes out of your body in pretty much the same condition as it went in, hopefully that is. With full size stomachs we used to be able to drink enough liquid to flush things through. We cannot do that with our new streamline tummies! Undigested particles and fiber can get trapped in our stomachs and create something called a Bezoar. They continue to collect other pieces, growing larger until they cannot be passed through and have to be surgically removed. So, it would be wise not to eat it again! There are a lot of reasons we are not supposed to eat certain things now, other than just the weight factor. If you are going to push the limits, at least wait until you are much farther out and have lost most or all of your desired weight! WLS only works for a short time unless you abide by the guidelines.

I have never heard this about popcorn. My NUT and surgeon both said that popcorn was perfectly fine after the first 6 weeks. They only cautioned that it can be a slider food because it shrivels up when moist.

a TBSP of lemon flavored COD liver oil, and ANYTHING in you will COME OUT! try it.... and it is NOT PAINFUL, nor does it taste bad................Ü

Good Lord, this scares the crap out of me. I eat popcorn once a week. And I personally dont want anything "trapped" in me that they have to surgically remove. I had Diverticulits before I had this surgery (doesent seem to bother me now) but its kindove the same thing things get trapped in inflamed pockets in your colon, and you feel like you are going to die. VERY painful.

Where did you hear this?? My NUT has popcorn on approved list of foods?

Just wondering?

My NUT in my pre-op classes and my PA at my one year check up. I also printed info on it for our support group from the NIH (national health institute) website.

Blah blah it's not healthy, it is healthy, stuck in the colon or between your teeth! The telling part is not the popcorn, it's the behavior of rewarding yourself with food !!! Why can't the improved health of going to the gym or some new clothes or spa time be your reward? The fact that you feel you " deserve " some popcorn is scary to me! I had to take a good look at that and make changes there myself !! Good luck to you!

Good Lord' date=' this scares the crap out of me. I eat popcorn once a week. And I personally dont want anything "trapped" in me that they have to surgically remove. I had Diverticulits before I had this surgery (doesent seem to bother me now) but its kindove the same thing things get trapped in inflamed pockets in your colon, and you feel like you are going to die. VERY painful.[/quote']

My husband suffers from that. Brought him to his knees! Glad it's better for you now.

As always you should follow what your own doctor says. They know your medical history. For me, I really trust Kaiser. Their bariatric program is outstanding! The doctor who ran the program in my area for years before recently retiring, IS the smartest man I will ever meet in my lifetime when it comes to weight issues. It is his life's passion and I would not be where I am today without the gift Of his knowledge!!

Popcorn is one of the things on my NF list. (Never Forever)

I see nothing wrong with deserving some popcorn. If you want the popcorn have the popcorn. I had some popcorn. It was very tasty. And not only that - I had said popcorn at the movies ( waiting for mortified gasp of horror from the popcorn analysts )! It was delicious, it did not send me into a spiral into banned food hell, and I was able to recognize when I was full and put it down. Didn't gain a single ounce from my dastardly deed.

Have the popcorn! Personally, I think I deserve a huge t-bone steak. Too bad I would only be able to eat 3 bites. Maybe I'll have more popcorn instead. I was able to eat 10 to12 bites of it.