Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alternative to Protein Shake?

Okay... I need some help. I was absolutely wild about Premier Protein prior to surgery. I could drink them no problem. I had an ounce of one today, and it made me want to gag. Not so much the taste, but the consistency.

Are there any alternatives to Protein Shakes (and please don't say Greek Yogurt!!! Can't handle that stuff either).... :(

I found the Body Fortress Super Protein Shots (6 pack for 10 bux) at Walmart... they are liquid whey Protein isolate shots with 26 grams/2.9 Fluid ounces per vial... a few sips and I get a TON of protein in a few minutes.... I got the fruit punch flavor...

How far out are you? Have you tried to drink them at different temperatures? Since it is consistency, if too thick, add Water or milk. If too thin, mix in some yogurt.

In my experience, after trying dozens of Protein drinks/powders and not liking them, I found Premier the best for me.

Early out my tolerance for anything was low, but as my stomach healed, that changed. It may just take some time if you are early out.

I found the Body Fortress Super Protein Shots (6 pack for 10 bux) at Walmart... they are liquid whey Protein isolate shots with 26 grams/2.9 Fluid ounces per vial... a few sips and I get a TON of protein in a few minutes.... I got the fruit punch flavor...

I bought a ton of these types pre-op and ended up using less than 5. I read somewhere that the protein in these is inferior to typical high-grade Protein powder. Wish I had the article to site, but it was last summer when I read up on this. Might be worth looking into.. This is the building block of our nutrition after all :-)

I wish I had a brilliant suggestion, but unfortunately I don't. I'm 10 months post-op and I still drink Protein shakes nearly every single day. And I eat one portion of Greek yogurt most days.. That's 60 grams of Protein just right there - hard to beat, and integral to retaining as much lean mass as possible.

Ok, that said.. I've found I have to use Water and not milk. I used to love my milk-based shakes, but quickly after surgery I found the consistency yuck.

In the last 10 months I've relied on one Protein Powder and one alone:

GNC Amp wheybolic extreme 60 in chocolate.

It mixes well, tastes good (although 10 months later it's just tolerable), and nutritionally is superior to others on the market. Just 2 scoops with 8 ounces of Water gives me 40 grams of protein

Btw ... I don't get anything for endorsing this product. Just what's worked for me

Very interested to see what people post to this!

I drink a mix of body fortress isolate and premier. Premier is the best tasting Protein shake out of the 5 or so I have tried.

you never mentioned how far out you are. If you are on solid foods a 4oz piece of chicken is pretty close to the same amount of Protein in your average shake.< /p>

I would try isopure...It's clear and goes down easy and the glass bottles have 40g of Protein.< /p>

I have been eating one Quest Protein Bar daily. They're somewhat expensive, depending on what deal you can find (anywhere from $2-4). But each bar has 20 mg. of Protein, 20 mg. of Fiber and only 1 g. of sugar and very low carbs, 5 gr. or so.

Best retail price I've found is at GNC. Walmart is very high, as are gyms. Online, Amazon has the best price, but doesn't have the entire line. Quest.com is way too expensive, and eBay is high as well.

So far, my favorite is vanilla Almond and Mixed Bliss. There's a couple of new flavors I haven't tried, namely Peanut Butter Cups and banana Nut Muffins.

How far out are you? Have you tried to drink them at different temperatures? Since it is consistency' date=' if too thick, add Water or milk. If too thin, mix in some yogurt.

In my experience, after trying dozens of Protein drinks/powders and not liking them, I found Premier the best for me.

Early out my tolerance for anything was low, but as my stomach healed, that changed. It may just take some time if you are early out.[/quote']

My surgery was Tuesday (26th), so you may be on to something. Perhaps I just need to give it sometime.

I wish I had a brilliant suggestion' date=' but unfortunately I don't. I'm 10 months post-op and I still drink Protein shakes nearly every single day. And I eat one portion of Greek yogurt most days.. That's 60 grams of Protein just right there - hard to beat, and integral to retaining as much lean mass as possible.

Ok, that said.. I've found I have to use Water and not milk. I used to love my milk-based shakes, but quickly after surgery I found the consistency yuck.

In the last 10 months I've relied on one protein powder and one alone:

GNC Amp wheybolic extreme 60 in chocolate.

It mixes well, tastes good (although 10 months later it's just tolerable), and nutritionally is superior to others on the market. Just 2 scoops with 8 ounces of Water gives me 40 grams of protein

Btw ... I don't get anything for endorsing this product. Just what's worked for me

Very interested to see what people post to this![/quote']

Ha! No enforcement pay?!? Geez! Ha!

Thanks for the suggestions. ;)

I drink a mix of body fortress isolate and premier. Premier is the best tasting Protein shake out of the 5 or so I have tried.

you never mentioned how far out you are. If you are on solid foods a 4oz piece of chicken is pretty close to the same amount of Protein in your average shake.< /p>

I'm sorry, I guess mentioning that I'm fresh out from surgery would have helped in this conversation! ;)

I honesty believe that I will be fine getting my protein intake in once I'm able to have soft foods and so forth, it's this liquid stage with my senses being out of wack that us getting the best of me. Things that tasted good prior to surgery, now taste bad to me. Same with smell. It's off.

I have made sure to keep my Protein Shake chilled, and I drink it over ice. It's not "frozen cold" but it's cold enough to tolerate. I couldn't imagine trying to drink them at room temp. Yikes!

One more random suggestion - clean out your mixer/shaker bottle as soon as you're done with your shake. There's something about the Protein that makes it smells absolutely dreadful if you leave it for several hrs or overnight. I've done that a few times and honestly if I had a weak tolerance I would have given up the shakes a long time ago.

Good luck finding the right Protein fix! I'd say right now you have to hold your nose and just tolerate as best you can. It truly is medicine; but I hope you're able to find a medicine that you in yummy!!

I buy the premix shakes. It's not so much the smell that is getting me, it's the consistency of the shake.< /p>

I just ordered some Unjury unflavored samples and some Syntrax sample packs of different flavors. I'll find something that is going to work! ;)

I had the exact same problem right after surgery (2/20). If I watered down the Premier it seemed to help but I still felt like I was choking it down. I had to switch to Unjury, it mixes easily with only 8 oz of Water so the consistency is nice and thin. You can order a sample pack online to give it a try. Also they have a chicken Soup flavor that's not bad and a much needed break from vanilla and chocolate!

I had the exact same problem right after surgery (2/20). If I watered down the Premier it seemed to help but I still felt like I was choking it down. I had to switch to Unjury' date=' it mixes easily with only 8 oz of Water so the consistency is nice and thin. You can order a sample pack online to give it a try. Also they have a chicken Soup flavor that's not bad and a much needed break from vanilla and chocolate![/quote']

I ordered 3 sample packs of unjury unflavored this morning. ;) I think if I mix that in with some crystal light fruit punch, I'll be just fine! ;)

We shall see...