Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am pre-op and spoke with my surgeon about this today! He said the only way a patient can get a leak is if they do not follow the diet accordingly. He said that most patients start to feel better quickly and they think they are well enough to start eating small pieces of food, but the stomach takes approximately 6 weeks to completely heal inside, no exceptions!! Follow your doctors instructions and you should be just fine ;) You will know if you have something wrong....#1 you ate something you weren't supposed to and #2 you start feeling extremely ill, vomiting, fever, etc. Good luck and I hope this helps!

I am pre-op and spoke with my surgeon about this today! He said the only way a patient can get a leak is if they do not follow the diet accordingly. He said that most patients start to feel better quickly and they think they are well enough to start eating small pieces of food' date=' but the stomach takes approximately 6 weeks to completely heal inside, no exceptions!! Follow your doctors instructions and you should be just fine ;) You will know if you have something wrong....#1 you ate something you weren't supposed to and #2 you start feeling extremely ill, vomiting, fever, etc. Good luck and I hope this helps![/quote']

Sorry but that is COMPLETELY wrong!

Leaks develop for many reasons, ONE of which is improper recovery activities (diet or physical) but this is NOT the only way a patient can get a leak. To even read that makes my blood boil for those of us who have suffered life threatening complications due to leaks, the majority of which were NOT caused by anything we did. Leaks can happen because of physician error, bleeding complications making it difficult to ensure that proper suturing took place. They can happen because of natural variances in tissue recovery (swelling or infection developing at the suture line). There are a myriad of reasons leaks happen and for most they are different. Recovery is a nightmare which is often life threatening and requires weeks if not months in hospital. They can cause heart damage, lung damage or other organ failure.

Leaks TYPICALLY happen within the first six weeks but have been known to happen up to six months out. There are even cases that happened after a year, but for the most part the concerning period is the first six weeks. Following doctors instructions is very important, but you still can do it all right and end up with a leak (as I and many others here have done).

I hope you misunderstood your doctor because I would be very hesitant to have a doctor spouting that line of crap operate on me. My guess is that he wasn't clear when answering which mislead you to understand how leaks happen...I'll hope that's the case! If not and you are sure he actually said that...RUN don't walk, to a better surgeon!

After how long after surgery are u not at risks for leaks and what r the symtoms of leaks

BTW leak symptoms are varied but can include a low grade or higher fever, vomiting, left shoulder pain, shortness of breath, racing heart, weakness, a general malaise (as if you have a flu). Most leaks do not include all of these symptoms, but any warrant a call to your doctor if they take place within six weeks of your surgery.

Yes, that is what he told me, I didn't make it up and I certianly didn't misunderstand his answers. I asked him directly how leaks occur and that is the response he told me. Thanks for your input, as I will discuss this with him.

After how long after surgery are u not at risks for leaks and what r the symtoms of leaks

The straight forward answer is about 6 weeks. That is when the suture line is considered healed.

I love leaks post sleeve. I find onions too astringent.

Oh leaaaaaks. Sorry, I have vowel issues.

I love leaks post sleeve. I find onions too astringent.

Oh leaaaaaks. Sorry' date=' I have vowel issues.[/quote']

Get him Iggy!!!

Get him Iggy!!!

LOL Laura :P he's all yours

Yes' date=' that is what he told me, I didn't make it up and I certianly didn't misunderstand his answers. I asked him directly how leaks occur and that is the response he told me. Thanks for your input, as I will discuss this with him.[/quote']

You should find another surgeon if this is what he said. He's not telling you the truth remotely....snake oil salesman is what they used to call this. What a piece of medical goober!

Can you tell he peeves me off. Surgeons lying like this do their profession NO GOOD!!! Falsely setting up a client to believe risks don't exist is fraud in the US

Sorry but that is COMPLETELY wrong!

Leaks develop for many reasons' date=' ONE of which is improper recovery activities (diet or physical) but this is NOT the only way a patient can get a leak. To even read that makes my blood boil for those of us who have suffered life threatening complications due to leaks, the majority of which were NOT caused by anything we did. Leaks can happen because of physician error, bleeding complications making it difficult to ensure that proper suturing took place. They can happen because of natural variances in tissue recovery (swelling or infection developing at the suture line). There are a myriad of reasons leaks happen and for most they are different. Recovery is a nightmare which is often life threatening and requires weeks if not months in hospital. They can cause heart damage, lung damage or other organ failure.

Leaks TYPICALLY happen within the first six weeks but have been known to happen up to six months out. There are even cases that happened after a year, but for the most part the concerning period is the first six weeks. Following doctors instructions is very important, but you still can do it all right and end up with a leak (as I and many others here have done).

I hope you misunderstood your doctor because I would be very hesitant to have a doctor spouting that line of crap operate on me. My guess is that he wasn't clear when answering which mislead you to understand how leaks happen...I'll hope that's the case! If not and you are sure he actually said that...RUN don't walk, to a better surgeon![/quote']

Iggychic!! Hello!! How are you? I remember reading your posts everyday about 6 months or so ago when u went through your medical dramas!! From your profile pic I can see your obviously doing well! That's fantastic ???? have you posted any before or after pics??

I'm currently on pre op, booked for 27 sept

Ali xx

I agree woth Iggy. My hubby and I got sleeved the same day by same doctor...in Mexico. I am fine, thank God. He has been hospitalized for 4 months due to a leak caught 2 weeks post op. He developed pneumonia and a fistula. The cause of his leak? Idk...maybe metabolic. A percentage of people have a hard time healing at a certain juncture inside the gastro tract....he was a statistic.

My surgeon told me that most of the time they did not know why they happened, if they did they would have figured out how to get the 1% leak down to 0%. He also told me that the largest percentage happen between days 7 and 10. He also said in his experience that most leaks happen up high near the esophagus.