Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I met with my surgeon for the first Time this past week and I'm scheduled for surgery in April ( pending insurance approval). One thing that caught me by surprise is that he said there is no preop diet required before surgery. This surprised me because in the extensive research I've done I find it common that you are required to go on either a 1 week or 2 week liquid diet prior to surgery. He said no this isn't necessary and that I can eat normally up until the night before my surgery. I said this surprised me and he said that there is no real reason to do the preop diet and that they have never required it and never had an issue. This totally surprised me. He said its really the surgeons preference and there is no evidence to support that a preop diet makes a difference. Anyone else NOT required either? I was almost looking forward to the preop liquid diet as almost a transition to the 2 week post op liquid diet, to make the Segway easier. I'm nervous that post op will be difficult to do a 2 week liquid diet after surgery cold turkey. Thoughts?

I think your right about it being an easier transition. You are going to go through so Many things right after surgery, missing food would be a nice one not to feel right ?

Did he say that you can do one if you want?

If so why not.. starting a two weeks out replace one meal with a shake for a couple of days and as you get closer do two meals with a shake and so on..

There are some doctors that do not have a pre op diet I noticed from reading a lot of the doctors in Mexico (not all) docs do it that way... So it does happen.

I had to do one. For my doc, it depends on BMI. Higher BMI requires the diet.The rationale they gave me was that the diet decreases liver size by 15%, decreasing the chance of injury to the liver. Very obese people can have fattly liver disease. Mine ended up not being diseased, but you never know till they get in there.

prettyface,

I had the same surprise, I didn't find the 2 week post op liquids I did so hard at first, the last couple days was draining me but I made it with no slip or early transition.

I did however find the surgeons diet to be very retrciting in regards to most common plans though as another type of suprise as well, but the transition post op, I felt no hunger and that was the same for more than the first stage, gonzo.

most complete results and that way and I think it was in it's way easier that I still had energery while healing enough not to feel so spent after a surgery from it.

I was a little sore around my liver and wondered about if thats why but my surgeon is on a top team and he recomends the liquid for the folks he see's over a certain BMI these days as do all surgeons in his office.

One other thing of course is the surgeon recommended a steady downward progress or only limited little gain prior to surgery and he warned if there was any large enough gain he would call off the surgery.

Hello, I seen my surgeon yesterday and I will be having my surgery on the 19th. I started the Atkins diet on January 29th because I read about various opinions on this subject. I felt I should start preparing myself and whatever I could do to help the surgeon make this operation easier. I have lost 20 lbs since the 29th and I have 10 more days to go before the surgery. Best of Luck to you.

i didn't have to do one. I chose to start a week out, on mostly liquids so that the transition to full on liquids would be easier post op. But that was my choice. To quote my Dr "Its only going to piss you off, so why should we do it". Like my surgeon!!

I'm not required to do pre-op either. I am choosing to restrict myself though. I gave up cold drinks and carbs Jan 30. I have a Protein Shake for Breakfast. I plan to start having 2 shakes and 1 meal 10 days before surgery. Surgery is 25th.

I wasn't required to do the Pre-op diet either. My surgeon said it is not necessary. I only had to do the Pre op laxative prep the day prior to surgery. Let me also mention, post op no pain, no gas and I have lost 68lbs since surgery 10/8. I also have not had any problems adjusting in any stage.

No pre-op diet either. Just not allowed to gain any weight before surgery so I've restricted my carbs and calories just to be safe. Lost 10 pounds.

Hi, I met with my surgeon for the first Time this past week and I'm scheduled for surgery in April ( pending insurance approval). One thing that caught me by surprise is that he said there is no preop diet required before surgery. This surprised me because in the extensive research I've done I find it common that you are required to go on either a 1 week or 2 week liquid diet prior to surgery. He said no this isn't necessary and that I can eat normally up until the night before my surgery. I said this surprised me and he said that there is no real reason to do the preop diet and that they have never required it and never had an issue. This totally surprised me. He said its really the surgeons preference and there is no evidence to support that a preop diet makes a difference. Anyone else NOT required either? I was almost looking forward to the preop liquid diet as almost a transition to the 2 week post op liquid diet, to make the Segway easier. I'm nervous that post op will be difficult to do a 2 week liquid diet after surgery cold turkey. Thoughts?

My doctor also said that I didn't have to do the preop diet! I went back to the doctor yesterday and asked again, same response! So I guess my doctor knows best. I will enjoy the last few days I have. But I am more than ready! Good Luck to you!

since my weight wasn't extremely high to start out with, i wasn't required to do one either. the week before, my nutritionist suggested maybe replacing a meal or two with a Protein Shake but they weren't strict about it. just that nothing to eat or drink after midnight the night before surgery. a lot of doctors do it so your liver is less fatty and it makes for an easier recovery. so far my recovery has been great and i have had no problems. so i wouldn't worry about it. my surgeon didn't want me to lose a great deal of weight before the surgery or i wouldn't qualify any more (my BMI was like 36.5 and 35 is the cut off). Truthfully, I was really thankful I didn't have to do a pre op diet. I was more nervous for that than the surgery!

I had no preoop diet. My dr didn't require one and I never thought to ask. I enjoyed not having one, I spen the Friday and Saturday before my surgery saying goodbye to my favorite things that I know are bad and I should avoid forever now.