Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 months since surgery

I figured I'd do a little update. 3 months ago today I had VSG with Dr ponce de leon in Tijuana. I'm down 51 pounds since surgery day. Seriously best decision I've ever made. No regrets whatsoever. None. I was SO scared pre surgery. I knew that the odds were in my favor but it's hard not to go into a surgery without thinking "what if". I hardly slept the night before. But it went very well for me, I woke up in recovery a little uncomfortable but ready to start walking asap. There was pain, but not cry out loud pain. And even that was gone within 2 days. I remember sleeping a lot the first few weeks, but I will use any excuse for a nap :) The post op diet went well, I'm now on full solids and I can tolerate mostly anything. My body does let me know if I eat too fast or too much, it's not very pleasant. I've gotten the "slimies" a few times, blech. food wise, a small quantity of Protein fills me up quickly. Sometimes I can't eat an entire egg. A few bites of chicken and I'm full. I can pack in a lot of carbs though, they go through very easily so I have to stay away or carefully portion them out. Other than that, my energy is good, my back has stopped hurting me when I walk, I can now walk miles without pain, and I can stand in place without my lower back screaming at me. I'm sure my spine thanks me.

Glad to hear you are doing well!

You're doing awesome! Bet you look great!

Wow great! Glad your doing so well! I hope that's how it goes for me. I am 15 days post op and down 16 since surgery. I just started the mushy foods. Today I had oatmeal for the first time and was able to get in 1/2 cup and that scared me. too much huh? Maybe I should stear clear from that. I had a soft boiled egg this morning and was perfect for me. I am having a hard time drinking the Protein shakes...yukkkk! What do you suggest? :)

I'm sure I could eat a cup of oatmeal if I tried, anything carby just doesn't fill me, it goes right through and doesn't stay in the stomach so I can eat more of it.

I suggest keep trying the Protein Shakes, there are so many out there that you're bound to find one that you tolerate. I tried a lot and they would trigger my gag reflex, but I find that the ready to drink Premier Protein drinks (from Costco) taste fine to me. Like a slightly thicker chocolate milk. Not too sweet. And it's 30g of Protein. This week I've been drinking 2 a day, and right there that's 60g of Protein for 320 cals. With a sensible supper I can end up with 70-80 grams of protein for 500ish calories.

Wow great! Glad your doing so well! I hope that's how it goes for me. I am 15 days post op and down 16 since surgery. I just started the mushy foods. Today I had oatmeal for the first time and was able to get in 1/2 cup and that scared me. too much huh? Maybe I should stear clear from that. I had a soft boiled egg this morning and was perfect for me. I am having a hard time drinking the Protein shakes...yukkkk! What do you suggest? :)

Protein Shakes never really got better for me. But after nearly 9 months, I'm not having to drink them very often. I'm up to about 850 calories a day (sometimes more on workout days!) and I can usually get my Protein in without a shake (though I do eat Protein Bars on occasion).

Your capacity will increase some (though maybe not much). I find I can eat 6 oz of food now in a sitting, but I'm usually VERY full when I do. Just to stay on track and keep away from slimies, I still measure my food (though I'm pretty good at esimating now), to prevent the dreaded "overeat".

Love this update! Thanks for sharing it.

I figured I'd do a little update. 3 months ago today I had VSG with Dr ponce de leon in Tijuana. I'm down 51 pounds since surgery day. Seriously best decision I've ever made. No regrets whatsoever. None. I was SO scared pre surgery. I knew that the odds were in my favor but it's hard not to go into a surgery without thinking "what if". I hardly slept the night before. But it went very well for me, I woke up in recovery a little uncomfortable but ready to start walking asap. There was pain, but not cry out loud pain. And even that was gone within 2 days. I remember sleeping a lot the first few weeks, but I will use any excuse for a nap :) The post op diet went well, I'm now on full solids and I can tolerate mostly anything. My body does let me know if I eat too fast or too much, it's not very pleasant. I've gotten the "slimies" a few times, blech. food wise, a small quantity of Protein fills me up quickly. Sometimes I can't eat an entire egg. A few bites of chicken and I'm full. I can pack in a lot of carbs though, they go through very easily so I have to stay away or carefully portion them out. Other than that, my energy is good, my back has stopped hurting me when I walk, I can now walk miles without pain, and I can stand in place without my lower back screaming at me. I'm sure my spine thanks me.

I'm glad you're doing well! I have tons of back issues and pain, so it's good to hear you've seen improvement with your weight loss. My pain management doctor assures me I will feel so much better when I can loose some weight.

~Kat

Thanks for sharing! Gives me hope!

Hooray for you! Thanks for the update and insight.

Amanda Rae

I can't believe it's been three months already! Thanks for the update and way to go!

What do you do for follow up appointments or are just on your own?