Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those of you who have already had surgery.... do you have any regrets? Anything you wish you would have done before surgery? Do you regret getting the surgery? What about afterward?

Also, did you tell people beforehand that you were getting it done? I've told my closest family and a few friends and for the most part everyone is very supportive. I'm not really concerned with those who may not be supportive because it is MY body and MY decision. But if you had people that were not supportive, how did you deal with it?

THANKS!!!

I am only two weeks post-op and the only thing I regret is not getting the sleeve sooner. I no longer use my CPAP nor take any pain meds I have been on for the last 8 months for my degenerative arthritis. The only negativity that I have dealt with is people saying "your taking the easy way!" By all means, this is not the easy way out. It is a tool to help you lose weight and give you the restriction you need so that you don't gain it back. I don't know about you but speaking for myself I have been successful at losing weight in the past but never have been able to keep it off for a length of time and now that I am sleeved I have the restriction that is needed. Good luck to you and remember this is a lifetime marathon...you will learn as you go :)!!

hi ive not had it yet but if today was yesterday I would have had a lot of the test done before I saw the consultant as the waiting is the worse, ive only told a few very close friends and family and the ones that were and are negative I a coat hook outside my door so when the call I tell them to leave their negativity there and they can collect it when they are leaving, this weekend one such friend is calling and its been already just ditch the diet for 1 night lets go out for dinner, so I guess she wont be staying x the best of luck to you on your journey xx

I am 4 weeks out and don't have a single regret. Recovery was a breeze. I am down almost 23 pounds. The preop and postop diets are the hardest part of the whole thing in my opinion!

do you have any regrets? Anything you wish you would have done before surgery? Do you regret getting the surgery? What about afterward?tell people beforehand

laceymmm88

WLS has been my life saver

most people here will agree there main regret is "not having the surgery earlier :( "

my doc was fine - but i do wish i had "interviewed" other dr too

i told my family i was going to have the sleeve - family was very supportive

didn't tell any else

i'm 13.5 months PO - i tell people about the sleeve, on occasion when "they" start discussing my weight.

"they" have ALL been happy for me - never heard a bad "easy way out comment" :)

i wish i had taken /kept"records" before, during period of WLS :(

measurements

pictures

blog

keeping track of my weight/weekly/monthly

i finally learned you can't look back with anything - regret or not - can't do anything about the past - what your/my weight used to be :(

that is "behind" :lol: us

i am concentrating, enjoying the present and soon to be future :)

wishing you the best on your trip through sleeveland :)

speedy recovery :)

take care

good luck

I asked my wife who also had WLS if we had any lack of support from anyone. She said, "We didn't ask any one's permission!" That about sums it up. Don't be sheepish. Tell em like you know what you are doing and not like you are looking for approval.

This surgery is a journey of discovery in many ways. You will discover what it is like to be in the non-normal world. You don't fit right in anymore, and when people find it out they can be like bratty little boys poking you with a stick. Being "normal" is not a virtue, especially given the state of our society. I've jumped out of the herd many times, this jump was a smart one.

I love it when folks say, "Easy way out" as if the word easy was a cuss word. I demand the keys to their car and tell them I'll be over tomorrow to pick up their washer and dryer.

I had major complications which were very difficult for me and my family so yes, I have many regrets. Yes I've lost weight but IMO it wasn't worth the risks I took with my life.

I was going to keep quiet about it but as the date approached I was finding I had to tell people or get lost in a web of lies, which I wasn't going to do. I am so thankful I told my friends because I was literally bedridden for two months and their help was beyond beneficial to our family. I think if I'd have not told them they would have been terribly hurt to find out after the fact because of a long hospitalization.

They were all very supportive even though they noted their fears and concerns. I think it's unfair for me to say they couldn't voice those, as they are my friends and I care what they think. No one was super negative, but the worry was evident, and as it turned out, they were right! So had I booted them out the door for voicing those concerns I'd have looked pretty stupid :(

My friends and family didn't think I should do this. They didn't think I needed it, and they were right. But they also held my hand when I was in pain and hugged my baby when I couldn't. I regret the surgery, but I will never regret that I shared what I was doing with them. They made a hard road much easier. I knew if I didn't make it home my husband and son wouldn't be alone. That means a lot and says a lot when you're sick.

I will keep mine short! No regrets, it's the best and most loving thing I have EVER done for myself. I told family..

My only regret was that I didn't do it sooner. Everything has been fine, and so far I am pretty happy with the results. Still have a long road to go, but it will happen. It has changed my view on food, eating and has allowed me to jet a lot of emotional baggage, so it was well worth it.

I didn't tell anyone much about my surgery. My immediate family knows. I have always been tight with my business, so I didn't see the need for anyone else really to know. Might be something that I reconcile later, but right now it ain't their business so.....

I am a very private person and I don't base my decisions on other people's opinions but I was amazed at how many people I knew had already had WLS. I did tell my immediate family but not until a week before. Now that I'm 2 1/2 months post of and down 56 lbs. with no complications I'm proud to say I've had WLS.

I love this blog, there is a lot of good info and lots of amazing people.

do you have any regrets? NO

Anything you wish you would have done before surgery? NO

Do you regret getting the surgery? NO

What about afterward? NO

Also, did you tell people beforehand that you were getting it done? I told only a few people because it was very busy at work and I didn't have time to field/answer questions.

But if you had people that were not supportive, how did you deal with it? My circle both professionally and personally are phenomenal, thankfully I did not have to worry about that.

Not a single regret except for not doing it sooner.

I dont think there is anything I would have done different before surgery. Im 2 months post-op.

I told family and close friends. Everyone was very supportive. Suprisingly enough my mother was very supportive and she is the queen of the mother guilt and very opinionated.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. This is the best thing Ive ever done for myself.

I absolutely have no regrets, best thing I have ever done!

I am a huge planner, so before surgery I bought all kinds of Protein powder, chicken broth, measuring cups, little spoons, plates, etc. Most of it has come in handy, except I wish I had not bought so much chicken broth and different Soups, I'm 4 1/2 months out and I still have it running out my ears! Plus, our tastebuds change after surgery and so I would really wait on buying too much in the way of Protein shakes.

I have several people in my family that have a lapband and several people at work that have the band, so when I decided on the sleeve I had no problem telling anyone and they were all really happy for me and my decision. But, I totally agree with gmanbat, I really was just telling them what I had decided and did not really ask for anyone's opinion except my hubby!

The hardest thing for me now is to curb that tendancy to talk continuously about Protein, or some great recipe I found, or getting embarrassed when people compliment me! I'm 54 lbs down and 36 lbs from goal, and I am more confident, have more energy and overall feel so much better!

I am 3 1/2 months out and have no regrets. This is hands down the best thing I have ever done for myself and my family. The only complaint my husband has is that I don't make a good pillow anymore.

I am only 3 weeks post op but I have no regrets! I did tell people who asked what surgery I was having since my co workers knew I was going to be off for 3 weeks. I chose to tell people because I have no issues with people knowing. I was surprise at how supportive my co workers are:)