Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm new to the forum and to WLS in general. I've attended a few free seminars and I have my first consult with a surgeon on Thursday. While I'm 98% positive I'm going to go forward with the sleeve surgery (pending approval) I'm still researching and trying to learn as much as I can about it in general. I'm noticing that quite a few people are getting the surgery done in Mexico. I'm wondering why? Is there an advantage with going out of the country (USA) for the surgery?

I do believe the cost is much cheaper!

For me it's the cost. I'm paying out of pocket, and much more affordable in Mexico.

I think most of us Mexico alum. are people who either had no insurance or weren't covered. I have insurance (Kaiser) but Kaiser did not approve it b/c my BMI was too low (32) despite my co-morbidities, so I decided to do it out-of-pocket. If you are covered it makes sense to do it under your coverage, especially w/r/t followup and potential complications (even given the low percentages of those.)

the cost, I payed out of pocket ( my insurance doesn't cover bariatric or anything to do with weight loss ) any how it cost almost 20 grand where I live but if I would of went to Mexico it would of been between 5-10 .... big big difference....

I have great insurance but couldn't get my PCP to refer me (BMI 44, diabetes, high blood pressure) and I didn't want to jump through hoops. I paid for it myself and was done with it.

Here in the Northeast USA, cost is no less than $20,000. There are places in the USA where you can get the surgery for around 10,000 (often as an out patient procedure) but nothing local for me and if I'm going to have to travel anyway then I may as well go to Mexico and save even more.

For $4,500 I can go to Mexico and have an experienced competent surgeon, two nights hospital stay and then another two nights at the hotel to recover before flying home.

Flibbertygibberty, that is just crazy. There is no way they should have nixed you. It really sucks that you had to pay for something that you should be covered for, especially given the fact that your insurer will be reaping financial benefits from the fact that your health will be so much better. Five weeks out and I am already off my meds for diabetes/cholesterol/high BP.

Flibbertygibberty' date=' that is just crazy. There is no way they should have nixed you. It really sucks that you had to pay for something that you should be covered for, especially given the fact that your insurer will be reaping financial benefits from the fact that your health will be so much better. Five weeks out and I am already off my meds for diabetes/cholesterol/high BP.[/quote']

I know. The gatekeeper wouldn't even let me through to submit an approval. Oh well, even if I would have been approved I didn't want to wait. I wanted the surgery ASAP. On 12/2/12 I woke up wanting the surgery. On 12/5 I had a date scheduled (12/20), deposit paid, and had purchased my plane tickets. It all happened so fast. :)

I, too, am off all meds!

Yay for us!!! Isn't it great not to have to worry about testing sugar all the time (not to mention going blind and all the other stuff?)

I think a lot of PCPs think that people like us are trying to "take the easy way out". I could tell that my PCP was dead set against it. I think that in a few years surgery like/related to this will be routinely available to people who are seriously diabetic, at least Type 2's, regardless of weight. So much better than the alternative.

Indeed! My PCP wasn't down with it and he said it may be something to consider "someday" if conventional weight loss attempts failed. Um... hello? Did he think I had never dieted? I don't know if you are old enough to remember these diets, but I remember trying the Rotation Diet and Deal-A-Meal as an elementary school student. That led to many others. So glad to be losing, eating better, and being more active!

Indeed! My PCP wasn't down with it and he said it may be something to consider "someday" if conventional weight loss attempts failed. Um... hello? Did he think I had never dieted? I don't know if you are old enough to remember these diets' date=' but I remember trying the Rotation Diet and Deal-A-Meal as an elementary school student. That led to many others. So glad to be losing, eating better, and being more active![/quote']

Oh my god hadn't heard of deal a meal in ages!!! I did it too :/

Sent from my iPad using VST

I think you guys are considerably younger (just googled deal a meal and it looks like you were in elementary school in 1987-ish, about 20 years after me!) I don't remember those diets, but have tried my share of others in the past few years. It just gets harder as you get older, you are doing the right thing dealing with it now, and getting to enjoy the benefits for longer.

I think you guys are considerably younger (just googled deal a meal and it looks like you were in elementary school in 1987-ish' date=' about 20 years after me!) I don't remember those diets, but have tried my share of others in the past few years. It just gets harder as you get older, you are doing the right thing dealing with it now, and getting to enjoy the benefits for longer.[/quote']

I started first grade in 1980!