Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok when does the hairloss stop?! Mine started about 6-8 weeks out, it has been 6 months since my surgery and still lots of loss. Why is this? Im not buying the Protein bit. Any insight?

Me too, and I take PLENTY of Protein in each day...

I started losing my hair at month three and it is still going on month four and five but I actually don't mind because my hair is crazy thick. Here was a website that was passed on to me by a fellow member on here that really brings light to the whole Hair loss issue. I hope your hair loss ends real soon!! At least we can count on it growing back eventually. http://www.slhn.org/docs/pdf/bariatric_surgery_and_hair_loss.designed.pdf

My NUT encouraged me to take B12 said it would help prevent hair loss. I mentioned Biotin, she said it has B12 in it, but B12 shots or drops under your tongue is better.

Mary

I started losing my hair at month three and it is still going on month four and five but I actually don't mind because my hair is crazy thick. Here was a website that was passed on to me by a fellow member on here that really brings light to the whole Hair loss issue. I hope your hair loss ends real soon!! At least we can count on it growing back eventually. http://www.slhn.org/docs/pdf/bariatric_surgery_and_hair_loss.designed.pdf

Thanks, this is very helpful.

Thanks, this is very helpful.

You are welcome! I have been on this site since April 2012 and man I have never heard of ANYTHING truly helping with the Hair loss. Its a waiting game, and I know I can say this easier than others cuz I have a ton of hair, but having the surgery was worth the hair loss for me. Doesn't mean we have to like it- that's for sure! :)

I think it has something to do with how fast you lose the weight... Keeping in mind this is my opinion only : ) I was a very slow loser... I am 9 months post surgery and did not lose any hair !! I do keep my Protein up but I foud that everyone I knew with rapid weight loss did have Hair loss. To them it was very noticable after washing thier hair they would claim they had handfulls of hair come out. I never noticed a difference in their hair. Never anything indicationg they were losing hair or their hair as starting to thin. I have never read about anyone going bald and I do have 1 friend who said her hair grew back thicker. Her hair loss stopped at about 10 months. Good luck and do not stress I know eaiser said than done . It will eventually stop and my guess is no one you know notices : )

cudlyqt:

I don't know what is going on with your hair. My hair has always been fine and thin. My surgery was on 11/29/12 and I have had no change in my hair to date. I do take optisource Vits. which are a post bariatric formula of vits. They do have Biotin in the formulation, which is specifically for Hair loss prevention/minimization. I certainly would check with my dietician and/or surgical team about the problem. Funny enough, my nails have always been a splitting, peeling mess. Since surgery, I have not replaced my nail tips that I had always had to fix this longstanding problem. I am now growing my own nails and manicuring them myself, with good results, post surgery. They are much stronger and look pretty good.

Good luck in finding a solution to your problem.

Karen

I dont believe that Protein is the issue. I eat more protein now than before surgery and ive been an extremely slow loser. Maybe it ia the b Vitamin but since my lap band ive struggled with my b levels and take B12 and b1 a lot. Maybe its time to get some bloodwork. I had a full thick head of hair and I think my Hair loss is extreme at this point.

Basically, it's the luck of the draw; or blame genetics. I had all my Protein plus, drank, took Biotin, my supplements, AND am a slow loser....and my hair fell out in my 4th month. Sorry- i wish there was a magic potion, but there isn't. Some things work for people, but I honestly have my doubts that a product really helped. :-)

So...buy cute hats, get a snazzy haircut, buy a volumnizer product. It won't last forever. ;-).

You are welcome! I have been on this site since April 2012 and man I have never heard of ANYTHING truly helping with the hair loss. Its a waiting game, and I know I can say this easier than others cuz I have a ton of hair, but having the surgery was worth the Hair loss for me. Doesn't mean we have to like it- that's for sure! :)

:). Seems like that is the case. Yeah, it's not pleasant losing hair and for me if it continues I'll cut it all off. After all losing hair is not the worst thing in life that can happen right? I guess I'll just have to wait and see. As long as the weight keeps coming off, I'm GOOD!

My hair started falling out lightly in month 6 and then by month 7 it would clog the drain in the shower so bad that I would have a couple of inches of standing Water before I was through showering. It finally stopped at month 10. It is sooooo thin! I am 13 1/2 months out now and don't even see any new Hair growth. I too believe it's a luck of the draw. I've always gotten in more than the daily Protein recommendation and taken many Vitamins and minerals. I sure hope my hair comes back!

My Dr had me up my Protein to 90 grams a day. Really hard with food only so i have found that I drink a pure Protein Drink with 30 grams and add a scoop of Max Muscle Protein Powder with another 30 grams of protein for Breakfast. I have also added 2 capsules of hair, nails ans skin from Max muscle and have found the Hair loss has slowed down. I my surgery was July 2012. Good luck!