Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does the change in tastes ever resolve?

Ok so I had surgery a month ago. I had read the boards and was prepared that I may have a change in my taste buds.

To be honest it seems like my taste buds may be super aware......seasonings, smells.......does it change or revert back because to

be honest although some things are edible and I would rate as "ok" now that I am eating regular foods, I have yet to eat one thing

that I can say "wow, that was great!". It seems the seasonings are off.........? I can't believe that me, who loved to eat and really enjoyed

food could really care less....

It got better for me, but not the same as pre-surgery. There are still a few things I loved pre-surgery that still don't taste right like shrimp but things gradually started tasting better for me I would say around 4 months out. I feel I am still more aware of some seasonings, especially salt. I think some of it is the fact that I used to inhale my food and now I actually chew it. For the most part though foods taste good now.

I've noticed that it is the smells that turn me off now, much more so than the taste. Things that I thought were sorta stinky before, like tuna, pickles, etc., I am now completely repulsed by. I'm not sure if my tastes have changed concerning these foods as I cannot bring myself to try them. I actually had to go outside the other day when my hubby was eating a tuna sandwich, lol.

well I hope this resolves at some point as I would like to taste something and be able to say wow thats really good. But in the meantime

I am going to consider this a positive for sticking to my nutritional plan.

At two years, I can eat anything I used to like the taste of and like it the same... just eat less of it. The texture thing has stuck around a little... can't stand apple peels, never a problem before...

Once you get your carbs back up and get out of ketosis, the whole taste thing begins to mellow out until everything goes back to normal. Like feedyoureye, there are some textures that I choose to avoid now because they don't agree with me.

ah ketosis, duh, i dunno why I did not think of that. Thanks! I made my own homemade turkey burger tonight, and since I seasoned it myself it was actually tasty....

I think that tastes/textures aside it's perfectly normal not to enjoy food at this point. I didn't have my first "Wow, that was truly wonderful" meal until close to a year out, or maybe past it. I enjoy food now but for a long time eating was not enjoyable at all - it was a chore and something I did because I wanted to hit nutritional goals.

And I'll be honest - I think that having the sleeve and focusing on better quality foods helps us realize that most of what people shovel in and moan about is sub-par food! I really focus on quality ingredients and can absolutely tell when a vegetable isn't at it's freshest, or if it wasn't washed enough. I'm more sensitive to what seasonings, spices and additives are in my food. And more often than not, when eating out especially, these things can ruin the experience for me. I was already a cook/baker but now I won't even buy bread. I prefer to make my own. I can actually TASTE the artificiality of those products on the supermarket shelf.

Is that really a bad thing?

In any case, you should be able to get over most of your aversions as you eat a more balanced diet later on. Some things stay and I can honestly say that most of my previous trigger foods don't hold power over me any longer. It's a trade off I'm happy to make. And yes, I do enjoy eating again. I still don't find that I ooh and aah over my food (outside of my own home) very often but it does happen now and again. I enjoy that my relationship with food is mostly take it or leave it, actually. It makes avoiding those poor habits that made me obese in the first place much easier.

Good luck! If a food turns you off now, try it again later on and see how it goes.

~Cheri

Its weird,but I havent noticed any changes in the smells or tastes of anything.its the same before I got sleeved.