Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Anyone Else Hate Eating?

OK, I am 9months post op, never an issue at all since being sleeved, I just HATE eating. It isn't enjoyable at all. In fact, it actually feels more like work now than anything. I eat slow, take small bites, watch what I eat. It just feels gross when I eat, and I can still feel my sleeve moving when digesting (tmi, sorry). Milk tears my stomach up now, but I can still have cheese and yogurt.

Ya see, the issue is, I know I HAVE to eat, for health and nutrition, but I simply don't want to. My husband even mentioned that eating with me is depressing. He said I just look sad! Anyone else feel like this?

I am really jealous of you, I would love to develop hate for eating !

Yes what a dream it would be to hate eating.I have spent my whole adult life doing just the opposite. Please don't complain, what a way to be!!

Yes what a dream it would be to hate eating.I have spent my whole adult life doing just the opposite. Please don't complain, what a way to be!!

Well obviously I was sleeved for a reason. I LOVED to eat, hence me getting up to 325 lbs after having 3 kids. But now, since being sleeved, it feels like a task to eat. I have to have the nutrition, But also, a part of me fears getting heavy again. I am down to 168, and I watch every bite that goes into my mouth.

Well obviously I was sleeved for a reason. I LOVED to eat' date=' hence me getting up to 325 lbs after having 3 kids. But now, since being sleeved, it feels like a task to eat. I have to have the nutrition, But also, a part of me fears getting heavy again. I am down to 168, and I watch every bite that goes into my mouth.[/quote']

I started around that same weight range, how long did it take you to loss weight? How often did you exercised?

Dear 3Lilrams,

It sounds like you've done what many of us have done, which is to villafy (sp?) eating, except you've taken it farther than most of us are able to -- you've made it into an unpleasant and unrewarding experience that you derive no pleasure from. I have to agree with the other reviewers that I wish I had to push myself to eat just to stay healthy. Hearing your story, it's probably not at all fun and you may be getting obsessive about not eating. I'm still dealing with being obsessive about eating, which certainly isn't good for me, but it's probably not good to become obsessive about not eating. And like you mentioned, your husband doesn't enjoy being around you during meals because you're not enjoying the experience.

Maybe it's like a dog that, everytime it tries to eat a piece of food off the floor, it gets smacked on the nose with a newspaper. After awhile, the dog no longer tries to eat anything off the floor because an unpleasant experience results. If everytime you eat, your stomach gets super unpleasant, then after awhile, you don't want to eat anymore. Have you spoken with your doctor about this unpleasantness when eating? I can't remember hearing from others on this site about that particular reaction by their sleeved stomach. Maybe somebody else will know more about this particular reaction . . .

Good luck -- I wish I could help you more, except to suggest that you experiment with foods to learn what you can eat comfortably, and that's also healthy for you, and then try to enjoy it and feel good about yourself and what you've accomplished. Weight-wise, you're HOT!

OK, I am 9months post op, never an issue at all since being sleeved, I just HATE eating. It isn't enjoyable at all. In fact, it actually feels more like work now than anything. I eat slow, take small bites, watch what I eat. It just feels gross when I eat, and I can still feel my sleeve moving when digesting (tmi, sorry). Milk tears my stomach up now, but I can still have cheese and yogurt.

Ya see, the issue is, I know I HAVE to eat, for health and nutrition, but I simply don't want to. My husband even mentioned that eating with me is depressing. He said I just look sad! Anyone else feel like this?

Yep, I am in the same boat. Actually today was the first time I have really enjoyed eating a meal, probably because I was eating thanksgiving goodies. Even at small amounts, it was tasty food that I do not normally eat.

My days consist of trying to meet eating and drinking goals, usually failing on both. It is so depressing that I even lost my lunch buddy at work. She moved her lunch time and now eats with someone else because watching me suffer pretty much ruins lunch for her. I cannot fault her for that although I do miss her company.

I went through the surgical process because I had to, not because I wanted to. I have to keep remembering that when I get really down about my life now.

I started around that same weight range, how long did it take you to loss weight? How often did you exercised?

I am 9months post op. I lost 15lbs prior to surgery, and the rest within the last 9months. I exercise when I can, it comes in spurts, depending on my crazy schedule. Sometimes is 5 times a week, sometimes I'm lucky to get in 1x a week!.

I too find eating hard most of the time. I am trying to learn what my body now likes and doesn't - I can't tolerate milk anymore either. Weird huh :) Before the op, I loved milk so that was a nasty surprise. I do enjoy some foods though, but the amount has to be really small. Though I am 3 months from my initial op, I had a leak and had emergency surgery two days afterwards. I am now almost six weeks out since the test revealed the leak had healed and I am only now on normal food. Tonight I am going out for dinner and know it is going to be tough. But if i eat just a tiny bit it isn't too bad :) Good luck in finding a balance that works for you!!

Thanks everyone. I used to LOVE to eat, and now it isn't pleasant. I worry I may gain an ounce, whether I am making the right choices in my meals, what I should be doing different. I have basically moved on from the shakes, because of the intolerance of milk, but I'll probably have to start on them again soon since I am worried I am not getting the right amount of nutrition. I am still losing, which is great, but I don't want to become sick. It seems as though the smoother the food, the easier it is to handle. Yogurt, applesauce, mashed potatoes. Or if its crisp, crunchy, like popcorn, crackers, etc. I eat like a bird. I'm not complaining that I want to eat more, or less...I just know I need my nutrition, and it concerns me that I may never enjoy food again, and how that will affect my diet. I did enjoy Thanksgiving. We cooked on Sunday, and I had turkey, cranberry sauce, dressing and deviled eggs, all at very small amounts, and taking my time. But that is one meal I absolutely always have loved. Just glad to know I am not the only one who feels this way.

I too find eating hard most of the time. I am trying to learn what my body now likes and doesn't - I can't tolerate milk anymore either. Weird huh :) Before the op, I loved milk so that was a nasty surprise. I do enjoy some foods though, but the amount has to be really small. Though I am 3 months from my initial op, I had a leak and had emergency surgery two days afterwards. I am now almost six weeks out since the test revealed the leak had healed and I am only now on normal food. Tonight I am going out for dinner and know it is going to be tough. But if i eat just a tiny bit it isn't too bad :) Good luck in finding a balance that works for you!!

So glad you are healing up well. That had to have been scary. I used to even love eating out, now I feel defeated, because I know everything on the menu is terrible, and its just a waste to spend the money, when I won't put a dent on even a kids meal. So, I have resorted to just grazing off everyone's plates. The family doesn't mind. LOL!! Enjoy your evening out!

Yep, I am in the same boat. Actually today was the first time I have really enjoyed eating a meal, probably because I was eating thanksgiving goodies. Even at small amounts, it was tasty food that I do not normally eat.

My days consist of trying to meet eating and drinking goals, usually failing on both. It is so depressing that I even lost my lunch buddy at work. She moved her lunch time and now eats with someone else because watching me suffer pretty much ruins lunch for her. I cannot fault her for that although I do miss her company.

I went through the surgical process because I had to, not because I wanted to. I have to keep remembering that when I get really down about my life now.

I can drink all day long, and it never phases me! I live off Crystal Light Iced Tea! Thats the only way I can get my daily Water content in!

I'm the opposite. I could probably still enjoy the heck out of some food... I don't like drinking. Water used to be AMAZING to me and I would drink it all day long... Now it's hard for me to drink two glasses a day... Not because I'm full... Because its not delicious anymore

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I have these same issues. I was sleeved 09/25. I don't enjoy eating because if the pain in my stomach after and i cant tolerate Water of any type or tea. I love on 1% milk. Most days I'm so depressed I dont even want to get out of bed. My dr keeps giving my new meds to try and stop the gagging but no luck yet.