Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Needed - Eating At Night

I have lost 108 pounds since my surgery in June. I am thrilled and thankful.

For the last few weeks I find myself eating a lot when I get home from work - through the night. I eat a good dinner - but later I start to crave and munch on things like rice cakes and popcorn. I sometimes eat a Protein Bar because it's good and a bit crunchy (20 grams of protein).

Bottom line - I want FREEDOM from my food addiction!!!!! Don't we all? Any suggestions would be great. I still have 90 pounds to go and certainly don't want to hurt myself with food. This is when we learn super healthy habits - so I need your help to re-establish control, discipline and a bit of sanity in the midst of this insane food addiction! Grrrrr!!!!!!

Thank you, friends!

Amy in Chicago

I am finding myself struggling with my food addiction issues. I'm searching for food and I'm not really hungry. So frustrating. I'm working on asking myself if "I'm hungry," when the answer is truly no, then I am trying to do other things, like watch tv, hide in my bedroom etc. I have even went through my pantry, refrigerator, and freezer and ditched all the bad stuff in the trash right before the trash trucks came to pick up the trash....I do eat nuts for the crunchy texture and they're full of Protein. But sometimes I just eat too many of them. So I have reminded myself that whatever goes into my body has to be highly nutritious or it's a no go. We can do this, so just make some adjustments. :)

You just can't go back to the way you ate before, ever.

Unless you want to gain your weight back.

This isn't like a diet where there is some end to the program. This program has no end.

It is forever.

It is about good nutrition and health.

I keep having to tell myself this, too and it isn't easy. We do have a lot more knowledge now and experience with eating good foods. You may want to have a very small high Protein snack, add in some Benefiber, chia seeds, drink hot tea, or take an evening walk. There is a space in time that is giving you trouble, so fill it with something that gets you away from those simple carbs.

This is my battle, too.

One of the things that I've started doing to help limit myself is portioning out *everything* in to smaller containers the instant I open it. So that way, even if I do go off track, I'm limiting the damage to an actual portion of the thing, not just mindlessly eating. Another thing that's helped has been keeping a log on FitDay of every single thing that I eat. If I'm going to eat, I log it. You'd be amazed how much just writing it down helps to stop my instinct to snack when I see the numbers climbing up and I know that it will interfere in my ability to lose weight.

If it's something you're really wanting all the time, there's a possiblity there's something in it that your body wants, and for a reason. So, allow for it in your diet. After all, that's one of the reasons I chose a sleeve - no restrictions on what I could have. If you're wanting a late night snack, have one, but plan for it in your day :)

I have had success with a bottle of Water with Mio flavoring. Yeah, it is not crunchy but if I ge a whole bottle of water down and it tastes like something else other than plain water, I am not adding extra calories but still getting something that tastes good. I know that option is not for everyone but it does help me. Also, I keep my stationary bike in the living room and will ride it at night, generally after 8 or 9pm. This has helped keep my mind preoccupied as well as adding extra aerobic activity to my daily routine. Now, I cant ride the bike multiple consecutive days because I ride it on a very difficult level and on a hill program so I get jelly legs after 2 straight days of riding. But, regardless, try replacing the food grazing with something healthy that keeps your mind preoccupied. It sounds like you are bored at night and food used to be your time filler prior to surgery.

Good question ... and it looks like some good tips from other posters. I might try some of them myself.

Oddly, I was never a night eater b4 VSG but since I do tend to want to eat in the evening. Lately I have started having a cup of hot tea / Decaf coffee or Protein hot cocoa and that seems to do the trick. If I just have to chew on something I get 1 oz. of beef Jerky if my cal/prot allows.

Good luck!

Good question ... and it looks like some good tips from other posters. I might try some of them myself.

Oddly, I was never a night eater b4 VSG but since I do tend to want to eat in the evening. Lately I have started having a cup of hot tea / Decaf coffee or Protein hot cocoa and that seems to do the trick. If I just have to chew on something I get 1 oz. of beef Jerky if my cal/prot allows.

Good luck!

I like this idea. I've been struggling with the same thing as OP and I am scared to death that I will regain. Do you ever ask your body what it wants? Sometimes I find that my body just wants to sleep, take a bath or needs a walk or even a xoxo from my hubby. Ask your body what it really wants. It's hard to do it when you are 'in the middle of calming it with food' however hopefully it will help you to learn what your body needs in the night time.

Let us know how things go!

Yeah, me too! I want to chew on crunchy salty foods too. Eek, it's horrible. So- when I have self control I drink Water or chew a piece of gum for about five minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Everyone's comments were so helpful.

First - I went ahead and created a MyFitnessPal account. Would love to add you all to my list of "pals". According to the calculations I can eat 1300 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week. I am not going over that - so perhaps I am plateauing right now. That said - no excuse for eating at night. Again - my goal is true freedom from the bondage of cravings. I want to learn to say NO and be ok in that space!!!

Second - I need to buy a treadmill. I never thought in my life I would say that - because I never wanted to be the kind of person who bought one and never used it. But I seriously think I would. I actually sorta crave movement now. If I had a goal to walk 1 mile a night - I believe I would do it. Any advise on treadmills, anyone?

Finally - I am going to get rid of the stuff I struggle with - which at the moment is popcorn and Protein Bars. I have no problem at work - so the Protein bars can stay there. I need to go back to what I did after surgery - which included fruit popsickles and Protein Drinks. I CAN DO THIS! WE CAN DO THIS!

Thank you for your support and sharing your stories. You are all such an inspiration to me!!!!!

I have a similar problem. I try to drink flavored Water and eat chicken breast meat when I want to snack.< /p>

Sometimes the last thing I want is chicken, but if I know that's all I'm "allowed" to have and I still don't want it, then I can concede that I'm probably not hungry. :)

When I was on my pre op diet I went through the same thing, you need to keep your hands and mind busy, that way you are not giving in to head hunger. I began to crochet, made 3 scarfs while pre op. Now that I am post op I am not hungry ever but I get that damn head hunger, I searched you tube and am now knitting a scarf and later a hat. For me the trick is to busy the mind, it eases boredom and keeps me from wanting to snack. I hope this helps.