Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi my name is Lindsey Toppila i am 26 years old, 5'4 250lbs and need help deciding what to do, lap band or gastric sleeve? Pros and Cons of each??? Any helpful advise is wanted!!! Thanks!!!

I originally went in for my consultation hell-bent on getting lap-band. My doc told me they aren't really reccommending lapband because more than half of their patients have had some sort of complication with it like leaks in various places. He said to take into consideration the fact that what is being placed is a device, and something could always malfunction with it whereas the sleeve is a procedure within your body so it has a better chance. I am now pro-sleeve all the way, get it done the 22nd. :)

There is a lapbandtalk site like this one you may want to ask the same question on!

Also- the band takes different fills to get the restriction you need, which at my doc is $200 per fill and it takes several fills for most to get the right restriction.

This is just something to consider before you make a big choice! Kudos to you for being smart about it and asking questions! And good luck in whatever you decide!

I've really gotta say, I think the sleeve is one of the best things I've done for myself.

As for the band, well, take a look at this thread.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/48153-is-the-band-that-bad/

And if that doesn't do it for you, watch this.

Like Whitney was also getting the band- had my surgery scheduled and all. Somehow bumped into 3-4 people that had the band-- all hated it. Lost 30 pounds or less or lost a bunch and were miserable and gaining tons back. I somehow came across this site... BEST DECISION of my life to switch. so happy with the sleeve. Thankful I didn't get that band!!

Frankly - and this is not because I had the sleeve - I decided against the band 3+ years ago - just too many complications, and eve nif you have it emptied, it is in there!

http://asmbs.org/

read through the site thoroughly. it answers so many questions - and those we have not thought to ask.

Well, from what I have been told by a few of my friends who. Have had lap band revision....the lap band can erode (happened with 2 of my friends), slip (happened with my other friend) & they said wish they would have went with VSG to begin with. One of my friends had to have the lap band removed first & wait for 3 months for the VSG. My other friend was able to have the revision same day & my 3rd friend has to have her lap band removed. That is why I decided to go with the VSG right off the get go. Do lots of research before you make your decision.

Ok,short and sweet this time...lol

Lapband for 7 years.....bad idea,no really,dont do that to youself.

Sleeve 7 months 100 pounds lost,FREEDOM at last!

I feel normal and not like a big fat failure (like I did with the band for so long) anymore.

O,and if you just want one WLS go with the sleeve.If you dont mind more than one...the band!

I initially went in for the lapband consultation and after hearing all the info, I've decided on the sleeve.

Desertmom- seeing that you have had both... can you get stuck(food stuck) with the sleeve or is that just the lap band? Also does anyone know if u are able to get pregnant after having the sleeve? I am young and would like to have kids some day :-) thank you to everyone and your responses, you are all amazing!!!

Yes, you can have children post sleeve, providing there are no other circumstances preventing this. It is recommended to wait at least a year to make sure you are completely healed & all of the internal swelling is gone. Even better to wait 2 years so that your body has completely recovered(skin done shrinking etc).

As a matter of fact, pregnancy has jokingly been referred to as a side effect of the sleeve.

O.T.R.Sleever, your info has been so helpful, the videos, advice everything, thank you so much!!! Do you happen to know about "stuck" and if this happens with the sleeve or is this just a lap band thing or both? This scares me!

Hi

No stuck food with the sleeve.But I've had to learn to eat very slowly with the sleeve and chew the food well.

The band is a nightmare.Not only the stuck food.The expectation that it can do something for you and then you just have reflux and heartburn,stuck food ,vomiting.Port that cant be accessed.(sticking a needle in your stomach 9 times to hit the port isnt any fun I can tell you)

As you've said.You are young.You dont want to be spending your life struggling with all those post op issues until you have to have the band removed anyway.

Thank you'all so much! I have my consultation at the end of this month and a seminar at the beginning of November! Honestly i was all about the lap band but i have heard so much negative and i believe the sleeve is what will be best for me!!! I cant wait for the consultation!!! Thanks so much everyone!!!

O.T.R.Sleever' date=' your info has been so helpful, the videos, advice everything, thank you so much!!! Do you happen to know about "stuck" and if this happens with the sleeve or is this just a lap band thing or both? This scares me![/quote']

I am a member of both this & the band forum, the term "stuck" seems to be unique to banders. Since all my information on the band is from others experiences I can only speculate that getting "stuck" refers to getting food that is too coarse or heavy wedged into the area directly inside the band(probably due to inadequate chewing). This would not be a concern of ours.