Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What, if anything, do you collect?

Devana

Many years ago my sister made the mistake of telling a couple of people that she liked owls. It wasn't long before she was overwhelmed with them. Every item in her house had an owl motif. She then admitted to me that she had never really liked them all that much, but people assumed that she collected them and kept contributing to the collection. After a few years she quietly got rid of all of them, save a couple of her favourites.

I had an interesting blow-up cow for years. It was kind of cute and sat up on a top shelf. A couple of years ago someone gave me a cow ornament. Well then it began for me, people assumed that I was a collector. I guess that happens if you have more than one. I got rid of them all.

Anyway, last week I was smugly telling a friend that I don't collect things, that I don't want "stuff" around. She then asked "What about all your musical instruments?" This made me a little defensive, I mean we do have a lot and some get used more than others (except for the smashed to smithereens cello). I didn't really see this as collecting, but maybe she's right.

So what I'm wondering is what do some of you collect and why. What pleasure or use do you get out of what you collect?

My friends would say I collect scrapbooking supplies, as I have WAY more than I need. I "collect" ribbon and paper :confused:

I used to collect tea pots for a while until I ran out of room to store them. Same for the wicker baskets with apples on them (made by a certain person and bought at the Apple Festival every year). Again, no more room to get more... I used to dabble in stamp collecting when I was a kid, too. Otherwise, nothing really.

I collect vintage tablecloths,doilies, Blue Willow china, old kitchen hand tools(sifters, strainers, etc) and i use or display all of them. I like to use the items if i can,especially things that belonged to my mother. Most of the pots i use are 40 yrs or more old. my mother's dutch oven i use at least twice a week is 56 yrs old. It is the most even heating pot i have ever seen. I also collect old food tins,from crackers, lard, Syrup, etc. for display.:confused:

I collect Bulldog figurines . I have recently went thru and if I didnt Love it donated it to charity. I have two bullies that are in doggie heaven and looking at my figurines (around 50 ) make me smile. I have a mutt now and have never seen anything that even remotely looks like her.

edie

We collect famous peoples autographs its fun to do, as we all do it as a family, they are worth cash and we put them all away and store them for our 5 year old son as they will be worth a lot more when hes an adult! its gr8 fun and its nice to meet these people too, our son gets his photograph taken with each person too so he will have happy memories of this when he grows up.

This is very extravagent on my part but I usually buy used in excellent condition....I collect Louis Vuitton. I have about 30 pieces and because they last a lifetime I still have every one and use them all....my favourite is my briefcase, I've had it for about 25 years now.

Before I moved north to a small country Village in 99 I use to live in Toronto. I worked in the Toronto downtown core for over 30 years and fell in love with the LV store in the Bay/Bloor shopping district....our Toronto bandsters will know exactly what I'm talking about.

So....over the years I would treat myself once a year to a new piece....most are used, some were new when purchased.

Carol

I collect cookbooks. I seldom go to a store, flea-market, garage sale or any other venue where they can be found without adding one or more to my collection. Surprisingly, I read them all at least once.

I used to collect cups and mugs, but that got out of hand. I also collect angels. I display them on top of my antique upright piano at Christmas alongside my nativity set. I make my own "Herald of Angels"

My family will declare that I collect "junk". I am an admitted (or should I say COMITTED) "Pack Rat".

Precious Moments for a lonnnnnnnnnnnng time!! But they are now boxed up and stored for what I haven't figured out?!?? They are so readily available that they are not quite worth selling :confused: Wouldn't mind selling them to get my $$ back....but never quite happens that way for me!! :)

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -88 :)

I am a big collector, but scaling back. I collect Longaberger baskets, Christopher Radko ornaments, Patricia Breen ornaments, and Mark Robert's Fairies. I have really trimmed as I used to have 400 stuffed bears, Department 56, Harbour Lights Lighthouses, Charming Tails, and Cherished Teddies.

I think this goes hand in hand with over eating. :confused:

Oh my, my family would say what don't i collect! I am a dabler. I collected for yrs pewter dragons and gargoyles and other fantasy and animal figures. Stopped when i had no more room to display. Started collecting advertising tins but packed them away and stopped just lost interest. I do collect coins still- since I was a little kid and due to a theft I had to start over. I still have a complete collection of x files cards packed away soemwhere! My DH collects 1:24 die cast and still has a 1:18 collection around also.

Suns, like the kind you hang on your wall. But I'm fairly picky, and only find one or two a year I really like. I prefer ones that are handmade by local (or local to plaes I visit) artists, and ones without faces. And a whole list of other criteria - no plastic, only natural media (clay, wood, pottery, hand-blown glass...). No bright colors, only earthen tones or bare wood/metal. Nothing stupid like when they cut the centers out and "boing" them like a spring. Etc.

Unfortunately people go places, see a random sun, and think "It will be perfect!" for me.

And perhaps they're not a true collection. I enjoy them and their warmth, and place them on some walls in the house. *shrug*

I collect the fancy 3 dimensional refrigerator magnets from places I've been and from countries my friends have visited. The are pretty cool.

I also collect stuffed animals monkeys, especially if they have a banana. I always wanted a chimp when I was a kid. My parents wouldn't get it because someone told them they throw their poop across the room, so I had to settle for the stuffed ones. I wonder if I can get a REAL one now....HHMM??????