Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How To Know When Your Full?

I am allowed to start soft food today, so I made some oatmeal. I made 4 oz but only ate about 1/2. I started to get a pain in my left rib cage area. Do you know when your full? How?

I know I'm full when I can "feel" my sleeve. As soon as that happens, I can't have one single bite more or I'm in pain.

I can't wait for that day! Hopefully I go to puree stage when I see my Surgeon on Friday!

Yes, often it is too late when you realize you've had too much and, it isn't much at all! I'm sure everyone has had a few throwing up episodes. Eat 1/8-1/4 cup of anything at one time. You will learn. You will also be able to each a half cup to a cup eventually. It's crazy and something you have to get used to. It's also a fabulous thing. Love my sleeve!!!!

Good luck.

I don't even want to find out. I'm eating very slowing and with a very small spoon. Yes, I went out and bought baby spoons! My 18 year old son thought that was hilarious. I told him to watch out. When I'm skinnier I'm going to thrash him :-)

Just eat very slowly. Put your utensils down between bites. It's hard to spread such a small amount of food over 30 plus minutes. I'm only a week out from surgery so I'm using a timer until I get used to it. Believe me, I can tell when I don't need another bite...no matter how small it is :-)

Yes, often it is too late when you realize you've had too much and, it isn't much at all! I'm sure everyone has had a few throwing up episodes. Eat 1/8-1/4 cup of anything at one time. You will learn. You will also be able to each a half cup to a cup eventually. It's crazy and something you have to get used to. It's also a fabulous thing. Love my sleeve!!!!

Good luck.

Thanks so much for the info, It was the first time I ate in 4 weeks, so like you said, Ill just have to learn. I love my sleeve too!!

It's a great feeling when you first start eating foods again after surgery, and you realize you can't stuff yourself with a truckload of food anymore.

I'm with DEZ. When you are full...you will totally know and for me...it's usually too late. Only happened twice but LORDY! Eat SLOW! You will feel it and trust me...STOP at that point. It's hard at times because you just want ONE more bite. Not worth it. I can do about 1/2 cup and I've learned to really visualize what that 1/2 cup looks like.

I kind of have this problem too. I don't know when I'm full - like, I don't get a 'full' feeling. But I have been eating about 1/4 of a cup (2oz) of yogurt at a time with a few grapes or so. I haven't been feeling hunger since surgery so I guess it's harder to tell when you're satisfied. Baby steps.

Oh I figured out full!!! 2-3 Ounces and I can feel my sleeve saying"No"!! It screamed at me yesterday! LOL What's really odd is the ability to put it down and walk away.

Anytime my stomach does something weird, that's when I'm full. Things it's varied between: hiccups, feeling of pressure under/on my diaphragm, burp, feeling like something is stuck in my esophagus, feeling like one more bite will just sit there, stomach starting to make weird gurgly noises, being aware of/feeling my sleeve, or when I get through my measured portion =p I wish it was the same every time, but it isn't. I've gotten much better at recognizing it, and I try not to eat until that point.

I'm just over a month out and started with soft foods. I thought I was chewing really well and slowly but I'm thinking maybe it's more of an overeatting thing. I have a hard time realizing when I'm full - it's different depending on what I eat. Eating cottage cheese, I can eat 1/2 cup and no issues. I can't eat that much chicken or harder food...maybe 2-3 oz any more I've been getting a pain in my left rig cage or sometimes in my left shouder area. It goes away but of course I started to get nervous that it's a leak. No other symptoms. I'm going to call my dr. tomorrow just to check it out with others as well. Thanks.