Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So Gosh Darn.. Emotional!

I am not quite 2 weeks post op and I feel worse than the short period of baby blues I went through after having my last kiddo. I cried like a spoiled brat when my husband said I couldn't buy a lotion for my dry skin. Then I cried my heart out when I didn't get a pedicure today. That's not the only things that have had the Water works working over time! I don't really have anyone to talk to about it and my kids and husband are walking around me like they are on egg shells. I made lunch for my in laws the other day and then asked why I wasn't eating it with them. Uh, really?? They told my husband I was disrespectful! I show them a video of the surgery days before the incident, I inform them of my lifestyle change and that's how they react? How the heck do I handle this? I just wish I could find the cause of all these emotions before they take over completely. Does anyone have any advice??

so as I understand they knew that you had surgery and what kind of surgery? If yes , I am not sure who is more disrespectful. Sorry about that... Just try to ignore. I usually if I don't want to eat take the glass of Water and seat at the table but if food bother me I will leave. ( I don't have a surgery yet.)

I'm 8 days post op and very emotional as well. I could cry at the drop of a hat. I've realized it is because I don't have my emotional coping mechanisms available (for me, food and wine). They numb my emotions. While I haven't been hungry I have that learned behavior to eat my feelings away so there is a gap. It's like pooping your pants and having to sit in it....insert angst, anger, frustration, etc for poop and that's how I've been feeling.

I have been in tears for about 2 weeks already and I havent had surgery yet! I dont feel the support and yes... I am eating away my emotions. I lose it if I don't. However being on this site has helped me by knowing I am not alone even when I feel like I am.

I'm super emotional too. I think it's normal. I cried the other day because when my sister got married 12 years ago, I was too young to get into the bar and attend her bachelorette party. I have been embracing my emotions as they come for the most part.

As far as your in-laws go, just shrug it off. You did your part and informed them of your lifestyle change. You made them lunch when your husband could have taken on the responsibility of entertaining guests. Your in laws are stuck with you regardless of their opinion -- You married their son, he loves you and their opinion is their own issue -- don't take it on and make it yours to stress about. Ask yourself if this will matter in 6 months? I sure hope it doesn't!!

so as I understand they knew that you had surgery and what kind of surgery? If yes ' date=' I am not sure who is more disrespectful. Sorry about that... Just try to ignore. I usually if I don't want to eat take the glass of Water and seat at the table but if food bother me I will leave. ( I don't have a surgery yet.)[/quote']

They were aware of the surgery and I ate ice chips at the table. That's why I'm so confused about it !

I'm 8 days post op and very emotional as well. I could cry at the drop of a hat. I've realized it is because I don't have my emotional coping mechanisms available (for me' date=' food and wine). They numb my emotions. While I haven't been hungry I have that learned behavior to eat my feelings away so there is a gap. It's like pooping your pants and having to sit in it....insert angst, anger, frustration, etc for poop and that's how I've been feeling.[/quote']

I used to smoke, then when I quit that I latched on to food. So I know exactly why you mean. I just wish I could find a new outlet.

I am not quite 2 weeks post op and I feel worse than the short period of baby blues I went through after having my last kiddo. I cried like a spoiled brat when my husband said I couldn't buy a lotion for my dry skin. Then I cried my heart out when I didn't get a pedicure today. That's not the only things that have had the Water works working over time! I don't really have anyone to talk to about it and my kids and husband are walking around me like they are on egg shells. I made lunch for my in laws the other day and then asked why I wasn't eating it with them. Uh' date=' really?? They told my husband I was disrespectful! I show them a video of the surgery days before the incident, I inform them of my lifestyle change and that's how they react? How the heck do I handle this? I just wish I could find the cause of all these emotions before they take over completely. Does anyone have any advice??[/quote']

I can tell you why you are this way,

Fat cells store estrogen, thus as they burn off they release estrogen. Now that you are burning fat at such an abnormally high rate your body is being bombarded with estrogen. This is throwing your chemical balance off, and thus making you more emotional.

I have been having emotional tears and ups and downs and feel all over the place, and I haven't had the surgery either. I figured that fat and hormones were related...well I know they are and that fat stores the hormones....but hadn't thought of them as being released when fat burns. That makes sense.

Back in May/June, I was dieting, doing the liquid diet for days, and felt very down in the dumps and tired...depressed for about 5 days...I just kept doing what I know to be good to do to shake it off...it did shake off after 5 days....then I got the insurance denial, and though I planned to keep with the liquid diet through to the appeal surgery date--which I had no idea when it would be....I was unable...the emotions from the denial took over and I ate myself to a gain back of 15lbs. I still have a few more to go to get that back off...5 more. The roller coaster ride is tough.

I had another surgery date of August 29th...which got changed to September 6th, and the same sort of thing happened with trying to do the liquid diet and the emotions, and I went back to eating. I figured I'd wait until the planned 14 day mark and dig in then...spare myself the torture anymore --of hoping for a sooner date from someone else cancelling or whatever.

Once I had a solid date...Sept 6th...I decided I would eat out a bit and have a nice meal with my children when my son got back from his scout trips and things....but I was too broke to do anything of the kind. The emotions from being broke are tough to take especially when they severely mess up my pre-op plans! ugh...so that was emotional. Then I decided to allow myself a cheat day in the beginning of my 14 day pre-op diet since I had been having Protein shakes 30-50% of the time for months...but I didn't get the money until yesterday, so I had my day of fun with the children yesterday. NOW I feel settled....and based on the research I have done all the pre-op dieting is subjective...and I don't believe for a minute that one day is going to hurt me. I feel settled, and actually, after I ate, I could not sleep and felt like someone pumped my guts up with lead....I felt stuffed and aweful, perhaps from the big change from L to food...and as much food as I wanted. So now, I am trying to clean msyelf out and will not have anymore food for the rest of my time, and plan to go Clear liquids 3 days before the surgery to make up for what I ate yesterday...and for the little bit of food I had to cut the shakes down a bit during the first 3 days.

My emotions have been all over the place, big time. I only have my 14 year old twins to help me, and they are on board. Anytime I need a hug, they line up to hug me...and if I need a little space, I ask for it, and they give it to me. If they need something, I give it to them. My son keeps trying to feed me though...and I had to reprimand him a bit...now he hides the food behind his back to help me. A hug works wonders....if your family is walking on egg shells because of your emotions...just explain how you are feeling, that it's not their fault, and ask for hugs...I'm sure they 'll oblige...children will, anyway...men...I'm not sure about...never really had decent one in my life.

Boy, that post was long...hopefully, helpful to someone...helped me to say it!
;)

It wasn't long it was from your heart. and I understand your feeling. my scheduled date is September 7 and I am going as a tank to make this day real. and I am emotional only if something is done not my way ( funny right) I can cry when cardiac doctor didn't give me the clearance after 1st appointment. Now I am scared of denial and my surgeon still didn't sent the paper to insurance company and they were ready 2 weeks ago.... don't know why. hope they knows what they are doing.....

It wasn't long it was from your heart. and I understand your feeling. my scheduled date is September 7 and I am going as a tank to make this day real. and I am emotional only if something is done not my way ( funny right) I can cry when cardiac doctor didn't give me the clearance after 1st appointment. Now I am scared of denial and my surgeon still didn't sent the paper to insurance company and they were ready 2 weeks ago.... don't know why. hope they knows what they are doing.....

If I was you, I would get on their case and get the paperwork done asap...because the denials after you have a date are real killers....it's tough...and you'll likely backslide. My whole summer was kind of ruined over the while denial and appeal process...turned completely upside down. Get on their case, and make them explain to you why they are not sending it....laziness is no excuse.