Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question About Food Timeline

I had surgery on 7/17 and i have been tolerating liquids no problem. I even have drank milk and started working on my Protein. Today I was cooking for my family and I stole a few bites of fish that i chewed to almost nothing, and that also sat in my stomach no problem. I am wondering if I am pushing it too fast too soon?

I had surgery on 7/17 and i have been tolerating liquids no problem. I even have drank milk and started working on my Protein. Today I was cooking for my family and I stole a few bites of fish that i chewed to almost nothing' date=' and that also sat in my stomach no problem. I am wondering if I am pushing it too fast too soon?[/quote']

The answer is yes. You are only 4days post op and you are introducing solid foods?!?! You at best are in the full liquid stage, most likely Clear Liquids.

I'm one of those that pushed myself past where I was supposed to be. The protien shakes probably aren't a real problem. But milk this early is a good way to trigger a lactose intolerance.

The fish, I'm at a loss, you know that it's way to early to be doing this. I'm guessing you just wanted someone else to confirm this. Your staple line & sutures are still fresh. STOP IT!!

Now I'm gonna put my wet noodle away. Do the right thing. Use your new tool to the fullest. & enjoy the journey.

AMEN... And I will spank the bottoms of your Feet

It depends on your Doctor and the information you were given, I left the hospital in the mushees phase, i know that my diet was a lot less strict than most others I have seen.

Your nerves are still healing. Which means that even though your stomach tolerated the fish just fine, it might be because your tummy is still a little numb from the surgery. Please follow your surgeon's recommendations because you don't want to risk causing a leak by putting too much pressure on your staple line this early out. I know it's hard, especially when you seem to tolerate food without any issues, but the guidelines really are there for a reason. Hang in there, you'll be able to eat solid food again before too long.

80% of your stomach has been stapled together and ripped out through your belly button. You have to let it heal and learn to work again. It's swollen and recovering. A fellow poster summed it up as best as I've heard.... You have a baby's stomach. Would you feed a 1 week old fish? I'd hope not.

At least at the liquid stage, please try to stay on course for those two weeks that the doctors (or most doctors) recommend. You don't want to face a bowel obstruction or some other complication by moving too fast.

Stay strong and just don't beat yourself up for making a mistake. Just correct it.

I'd encourage you to follow the doctor's orders! :D

My doctor advised me to move on to milk if I was doing fine on the Clear Liquids, never mentioned the possibility of any lactose intolerance.

To clarify the fish was what I would classify as a mushee food not a solid. However thank you for your input. I will not move on until I have a clear ok from the doc! ( guess I'm an over achiever by nature, but in this case it's not in a good way)

If you want to overachieve with your sleeve, follow your doctor's guidelines to the nth degree and you will heal better, faster and lose weight faster. I liked enigma's response above, it's exactly correct. :)