Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do you think people go through all of this surgery and everything just to gain back all the weight in a few years.. I'm so hoping the sleeve keeps me from doing that! I have several coworkers who have had the bypass and are almost all gaining the weight back.. I know food is an addiction for me so I will have to be very careful once I hit goal..

What are your thoughts?

I think for some people, the weight loss is so easy, they never have to work at it a little. They still eat everything they were eating in small amounts and still lose weight. There was one in our support groups that was always eating fries and poutine but said, Oh, I only eat a few. And she lost all her weight really quickly. After a while, all the french fry eating caught up with her and she started gaining back. There are also a lot of habits and emotional issues when it comes to eating. Without dealing with those and gaining some control, you can sabotage yourself, even with the sleeve.

It is important to remember that the sleeve (like the bypass) is just a tool. You still have to learn to eat healthier and get active to be truly successful. The only thing is there are some differences between the sleeve and the bypass. Many patients with the sleeve do not gain back weight, or a small amount (10% of what was lost is typical). The bypass leaves a pouch with the stretchy part of the stomach which can be stretched out easily as one eats more and more and more. The sleeve is significantly less stretchy, so you always retain a fair amount of restriction. The sleeve also takes out the portion of the stomach that produces ghrelin, the hunger hormone. You still have some, so don't expect to never feel hungry (some people do, some don't, I sometimes feel hungry, but not the same as before). The bypass leaves the entire stomach intact, thus your body continues to produce ghrelin.

It is not a magic bullet.

love the World According to Eggface, and my favorite quote from her is "Weight loss surgery is not a do-over (repeat the same mistakes = get a similar outcome.) Weight loss surgery is a do-better (make some lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)"

Our stomachs are sleeved, not our heads. This is why it's SO important to change your lifestyle along with the sleeve. We have to incorporate better food choices and exercise...and realize that this isn't a diet. It's a lifelong change.

I know many go to Mexico to get sleeved or they get into a program that fast-tracks them and everyone wants to rush the process.

I have seen people go through the six month process and gain weight only to have to hurry up and do some major dieting to to be allowed the surgery.

I balked the first time I went to WLS and they wanted me to get psychological counseling. I hate the lady, seriously, and my husband lost his job so I backed out. The 2nd time I went to another place, and I balked about the six months, I ended up getting pneumonia and I backed out first month.

The third time I grabbed all the information and made a binder from both places and I started the diet on my own. 800-900 calories, 80 grams of Protein, 45-75 carbs and I started charting my food (the thing I dreaded the most was writing my food down and looking up calories etc.). I charted my Water, and I contacted Healthy4life. I realized I could get denied because of the Lupus and I decided to put 100% effort into it. I lost 70 pounds pre-op.

I worked on behavior modification in advance. I think that is what is really truly needed. I think a lot of people think that this is going to do the work for them. Even with everything I did in advance, giving up coffee, exercising etc. the surgery still was a bit hard on me, I still kind of wig out that I can barely get in 2 ounces of food at a sitting. I still look at steak with longing in my heart, I would love some Rice-A-Roni Beef flavored but I love my life so much more.

At the beginning of last summer I knew I was dying. I sat there with a heart monitor in my chest, lupus and I could barely breathe. My normal size A cup was now going on DD, I couldn't get up the stairs without help and I found out my great grandmother died at the age of 49 of Morbid Obesity related illnesses, the ones I had. She didn't have a brain tumor like me, or Lupus, or neurological issues, but she had the rest of the stuff I had. I figured my son would come in from school and find me dead and I said no more.

If the people getting sleeved don't say no more, if they don't put 100% effort into this, and don't start thinking about their lives as worthy of putting effort into, they will lose weight at the beginning, but will find ways to justify the french fries, the piece of cake, the ice cream, the spaghetti and the burrito.

It's up to you to work out the issues you have with food, with or without psychological help. The sleeve is only a tool. Many people I know that had gastric bypass have gained their weight back, people that were lap banded gained weight back, stalled or ended up with more complications. I can't afford to, I need to live. If I die it's going to be because I got hit by a bus, or because of the lupus, or the brain tumor, I'm not dying because of my weight. No more.

Good luck to you.

This is why I reply frankly to the "So I'm post-op, when can I eat french fries, Doritos, cheese Doodles, etc.?" posts. I'm not trying to be judgmental. There are just some folks who do not change their eating habits and I want to help.

I would absolutely cry to see people gain their weight back. That to me is worth posting a million "Eat this, not thats."

You mention Eggface. I just love her. I think she is partly responsible for any success I have. She taught me that I could eat healthy and still be a total foodie. I won't use cucumbers as crackers like she does, but her Protein ice cream has replaced store bought.

Mina, I just LOVED your post. Please do keep in mind that steak can be a very healthy Protein. I eat fish, beef, pork, chicken and the occasional lamb. I'd skip the Rice-a Roni though ;-)

Also, a number of people take to drinking. That will cause you to gain the weight back too.

Mina, I just LOVED your post. Please do keep in mind that steak can be a very healthy Protein. I eat fish, beef, pork, chicken and the occasional lamb. I'd skip the Rice-a Roni though ;-)

Also, a number of people take to drinking. That will cause you to gain the weight back too.

Thank you much, I am extremely blunt and some people don't take it well, but I actually get frustrated when people post things like french fries, I feel bad I ate ice cream, I am not going to hug someone and tell them it's okay.

I love steak and I have a ways to go until I can eat it. I start regular food on Sunday and I'm still struggling and still need my food extremely soft or more pureed, so I know Steak is a long way out. I am eating about 2 ounces at a time..for my entire meal. (due to some complications)

I can't wait to eat Steak but for now I'm sticking with rotisserie chicken (I did crock pot rotisserie today) and hopefully soon I can get down a little more food.

Good luck to everyone!

I know many go to Mexico to get sleeved or they get into a program that fast-tracks them and everyone wants to rush the process.

I have seen people go through the six month process and gain weight only to have to hurry up and do some major dieting to to be allowed the surgery.

I balked the first time I went to WLS and they wanted me to get psychological counseling. I hate the lady' date=' seriously, and my husband lost his job so I backed out. The 2nd time I went to another place, and I balked about the six months, I ended up getting pneumonia and I backed out first month.

The third time I grabbed all the information and made a binder from both places and I started the diet on my own. 800-900 calories, 80 grams of Protein, 45-75 carbs and I started charting my food (the thing I dreaded the most was writing my food down and looking up calories etc.). I charted my Water, and I contacted Healthy4life. I realized I could get denied because of the Lupus and I decided to put 100% effort into it. I lost 70 pounds pre-op.

I worked on behavior modification in advance. I think that is what is really truly needed. I think a lot of people think that this is going to do the work for them. Even with everything I did in advance, giving up coffee, exercising etc. the surgery still was a bit hard on me, I still kind of wig out that I can barely get in 2 ounces of food at a sitting. I still look at steak with longing in my heart, I would love some Rice-A-Roni Beef flavored but I love my life so much more.

At the beginning of last summer I knew I was dying. I sat there with a heart monitor in my chest, lupus and I could barely breathe. My normal size A cup was now going on DD, I couldn't get up the stairs without help and I found out my great grandmother died at the age of 49 of Morbid Obesity related illnesses, the ones I had. She didn't have a brain tumor like me, or Lupus, or neurological issues, but she had the rest of the stuff I had. I figured my son would come in from school and find me dead and I said no more.

If the people getting sleeved don't say no more, if they don't put 100% effort into this, and don't start thinking about their lives as worthy of putting effort into, they will lose weight at the beginning, but will find ways to justify the french fries, the piece of cake, the ice cream, the spaghetti and the burrito.

It's up to you to work out the issues you have with food, with or without psychological help. The sleeve is only a tool. Many people I know that had gastric bypass have gained their weight back, people that were lap banded gained weight back, stalled or ended up with more complications. I can't afford to, I need to live. If I die it's going to be because I got hit by a bus, or because of the lupus, or the brain tumor, I'm not dying because of my weight. No more.

Good luck to you.[/quote']

I just have to say that this post tugged at my heart in such a positive way. You seem strong and ready for this task. I just needed to say thank you. :-)

I was just talking to my husband about this! I am scared of this, too. I know it's hard. I want to be a health nut and never eat or want chee-toes. My husband suggested that I keep seeing my counselor to discuss my anxiety and food cravings before anything gets out of hand. To fix how you eat, You have to first find out what's eating you...

I balked the first time I went to WLS and they wanted me to get psychological counseling. I hate the lady, seriously, and my husband lost his job so I backed out. The 2nd time I went to another place, and I balked about the six months, I ended up getting pneumonia and I backed out first month.

Good luck to you.

Wow MinaT, not only did you send me a wonderful email this morning, but then I read this posting afterward and you just about had me in tears. You are amazingly strong and I can not believe what you have overcome just to live, let alone to have this surgery. I agree with everything you say. I am not going to say I never have a treat here and there, but I have changed how I eat for the long term. It is just habit now to have a lettuce wrap instead of a bread wrap. Not to have grilled cheese when I make them for my kids, but to grill up zucchini and have some low fat ham or turkey with it.

Thanks for the amazing post, I hope everyone on this form reads it and learns from you!

Mina, I agree with the others that your post is inspiring and educational. I do want to mention, however, that I went to Mexico to have my surgery. I understand why you mentioned Mexico patients(we do not get the six month diet, etc) but not every patient is ill-prepared. My weight loss has been a little slower lately, but I'm okay with that because I learn more this way. I exercise at least 5 times/week, drink almost nothing but Water and choose healthier eating options. I actually think Mexico patients do well because we are self-pay and so we don't want this to be a waste of money due to our own failure. I am far from perfect, but because of the support system I have and my own determination, I will NOT fail :)

MinaT you are awesome and an inspiration to everyone here. We are all cheering for you. I know how you feel, I lost a close friend several years ago that was dealing with the same issues. Lupus is a mean disease, but I know you are strong enough to beat it. Hang in there, our prayers are best wishes are with you.

I just had my first visit with my surgeon and this is what he has to say. If you want to lose weight and keep it off forever you must give up soda, dessert, chips, crackers, and popcorn for the rest of your life. These foods are genetically altered by the manufactures to make you hungry and make you eat more. He goes on to say In the beginning you may eat just one but you have my guarantee that will not last and you will gain the weight back.

I believe this 100%. I have every intention of following his rules because I want to stop the insanity once and for all.

Good luck to everyone taking this journey.

There was a girl at work who had the lap band surgery the same time I had my surgery. The other day I was speaking to her about the success of her operation. I dont see much of a change in her. She said she wasnt losing the weight she wanted to and started resorting to taking diet pills. I was astonished, why have the surgery if you are going back to the same lifestyle as before. I believe that we become relaxed in our dietary consumptions and fell back into the same trap. For several weeks I found myself eating fat free sugar free fudge popsicles constantly. I didnt gain any weight but I had to ask myself, why? I had to rethink and reevaluate my eating habits. I dont want to gain the weight I have lost. I feel wonderful but I can see how it is easy to fall back into that trap. It will be a struggle, we are food addicts and we need to focus on what makes us want to eat and how we can redirect our atttention to other outlets.

There was a girl at work who had the lap band surgery the same time I had my surgery. The other day I was speaking to her about the success of her operation. I dont see much of a change in her. She said she wasnt losing the weight she wanted to and started resorting to taking diet pills. I was astonished' date=' why have the surgery if you are going back to the same lifestyle as before. I believe that we become relaxed in our dietary consumptions and fell back into the same trap. For several weeks I found myself eating fat free sugar free fudge popsicles constantly. I didnt gain any weight but I had to ask myself, why? I had to rethink and reevaluate my eating habits. I dont want to gain the weight I have lost. I feel wonderful but I can see how it is easy to fall back into that trap. It will be a struggle, we are food addicts and we need to focus on what makes us want to eat and how we can redirect our atttention to other outlets.[/quote']

Are the sugar free fudge Popsicles not a good choice? I was eyeing those babies yesterday but settle for the old familiar sf popsicles.