Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Business Trip Post-Op...ugh

Well, it finally came. My first business trip 7.5 weeks after surgery. It was from NJ to TX just for Wed-Fri. I'd been on an emotional roller coaster lately, and finding myself wanting food for comfort - mostly resisting, but some days with higher-than-average calories (700s instead of 500s). I got more hesitant as it got closer, but decided it was something I needed to try out since I have a 12-day international trip (a mix of business and pleasure) coming up in three weeks.

I'm at my company's conference center with tons of free food available everywhere. The upside is that there are plenty of healthy appropriate options. I haven't gone off the rails with my options, but the quantity is definitely more than normal. I'm also withdrawn - not really interested in connecting with people, eating by myself, eating back in my room, etc. Not good.

Today was morning Protein Shake, half greek yogurt snack, turkey chili for lunch, 1 oz of sharp cheddar for snack, Protein shake, then dinner which was basically one or two bites of cheese, hummus, fish, bacon, shrimp, and pistachios. At no point did I feel sick or did I eat too fast, but an hour after dinner I still have that full feeling that I'm so familiar with from pre-surgery.

I'm getting used to not being hungry, and trying to learn to use my eyes to measure what I really need (and MFP to confirm), and so it's been a while since I've really had that full feeling...because THERE'S NO REASON I NEED TO BE THAT FULL. It makes me mad at myself that I can't just enjoy a couple bites and let it go. And scares me that in this two days of weakness my sleeve seems to be allowing additional quantity.

Tonight I decided that I'm not in enough control to be here yet. I've changed my flight to leave in the morning and miss the 2nd day of the training to get back home to my comfort zone. That equally scares me since I've got a big trip coming up in a few weeks.

I do have confidence that when I'm back in my element I will revert back to my good habits. But my lifestyle and my job involves frequent travel, and I'm worried that I'm going back to my pre-surgery ways where business travel = "vacation mindset" = no regard for what I'm eating. That really helped get me into a bad spot before.

So, while I've been doing lots of work at home about trying to seek things other than food to soothe me, to keep me busy, etc. (and having mis-steps, but doing well on the whole), it appears this is a new fronteir that I haven't conquered yet. I made an attempt, learned some things, but I'm going to get myself out of this environment to regain control...and try again another day.

Interested to see what this looks like on the scale when I get home. Hate to think I lost an opportunity for weight loss this week for 24 hours of bad behavior.

<sigh>

To me it doesn't sound like u did that badly. And certainly you are taking this seriously enough to cut your trip short and write about it. That shows a lot of self control and determination on your part, and I think you will do great. I haven't had surgery yet, but I hope that when I get in your position I act that responsible. Don't be so hard on yourself! U are setting a good example that we should be aware of what triggers our eating and change our environment if necessary. I'm sure ur next business trip will be easier, and the next after that. It takes time to unlearn behavior.

...Today was morning Protein shake, half greek yogurt snack, turkey chili for lunch, 1 oz of sharp cheddar for snack, Protein Shake, then dinner which was basically one or two bites of cheese, hummus, fish, bacon, shrimp, and pistachios. At no point did I feel sick or did I eat too fast, but an hour after dinner I still have that full feeling that I'm so familiar with from pre-surgery.

...Interested to see what this looks like on the scale when I get home. Hate to think I lost an opportunity for weight loss this week for 24 hours of bad behavior.

<sigh>

I think you're being way too hard on yourself. If your stats are current, your BMR is about 1770. Your BMR is the number of calories you have to eat to break even without doing anytthing. Basically if you stayed in bed all day and didn't even move, you'd burn 1770 calories. (Of course, that's just an approximate number.) Any activity at all, anything, increases that number.

The foods and quantities you have posted above put you nowhere near 1770 calories.

So here's the key. Even if the scale registers a higher number, it's not fat. It's Fluid. Believe me - if your Fluid isn't fluctuating enough to impact your weight, then your body is not functioning properly. You're supposed to have some pretty wide fluctuations. That's how your body works. So if you get home and find you weigh more, just remember that weight does not = fat.

Thanks. Really appreciate the replies. I'm trying not to be so hard on myself :( I know it's not like the worst thing in the world what I've eaten, and I'm probably still in my calorie range...but it's that feeling of lack of control that's forcing me to take action. I refuse to let food control/beat me anymore.

Wheetsin, thanks - good advice. My stats are current. I may avoid the scale until my normal weigh-on on Monday. I haven't been too reactive emotionally to what's been on the scale, so hoping I won't be this time either (regardless of the outcome). But, man, it's this lack of control feeling I'm having which is making me anxious and like I'm wanting to get out of the environment. The food gremlin is a nasty little sh*t!

I admire the way you think through your actions and what's best for you. I have every confidence that you will continue to be successful because you are so reflective. Cut yourself a break and give yourself the positive thoughts you would give to others.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Where at in TX, may I ask?

Westlake

Weighed myself this AM and lost 1.5 lbs while away in TX, so my perceived screw up there didn't hurt the scale. Still glad I came home since I was feeling down and a bit out of control. Hoping I wasn't running away from something I should have been facing, but going easy on myself about it for the moment :) thanks again for the replies

I am really glad to hear you pulled this off 7 days after surgery.

I am really preoccupied with life on the road post sleeve (hence my handle). I really don't know how I am going to function. People tend to that forget this isn't just about making good food choices, it is also about accomplishing what your company sent you there to do (sometimes at a cost of $20K). Sitting in a corner licking a spoonful of hummus with a glass of Water really isn't going to get it done. Sitting in a hotel room mixing shakes doesn't deliver the goods either.

I managed to schedule 5 weeks at home post-surgery before heading to Asia. Then I do London twice, Dubai, and Jordan. That gets me to October when things pick up.

Please share any tips you pick up. 6 months out I can see myself fluffing my way through a dinner meeting, or speaking at a formal Chinese banquet. . Until that time I am really nervous.

Glad to see someone else facing similar challenges.

Oops I see that was 7.5 weeks not days. Good job anyway!

No matter where you are, on a plane, hotel, conference location, you still have to watch calories and the health aspect of what you eat. And, be careful because if you over eat, you will throw-up. Siting in a conference or involved in a work environment and belching and needing to throw up is not a good scenario to be in. Make the most healthy, fresh, whole food, protein-rich choices available. Soups are always a good choice, tuna salad, Beans and legume salads, grilled tofu or chicken, etc., just like you are doing. If you are not throwing up or uncomfortable, you likely have not over eaten. Relax. Enjoy all other aspects of the conference and get involved in something else rather than the food aspect. Make that secondary at best. Think positive. All is good.

That's my suggestion.

Do you live in NJ? I'm not a stalker or anything! I do live in nj and I wanted to know who your surgeon is if you do?!? And you recognized that you felt like you could have an issue and that you made appropriate decision to correct it so you need to lighten up on yourself!!!

Do you live in NJ? I'm not a stalker or anything! I do live in nj and I wanted to know who your surgeon is if you do?!? And you recognized that you felt like you could have an issue and that you made appropriate decision to correct it so you need to lighten up on yourself!!!

I do :) I met with a couple local surgeons, but ultimately went to Mexico. Dr. Aceves.

Oh ok!! Who did you met with if you don't mind me asking?

Dr Chau at Princeton and a younger woman at Somerset that's part of NJ Bariatrics (or something that sounds like that :)

I liked both from a personality perspective, but they just don't have near the experience as the surgeons in Mexico. Chau has performed like 60+ sleeves vs Aceves' was like a thousand or two. They're also more conservative with bougie size, which does have some correlation to lower complication rate, but means potentially a larger sleeve.

But, if you're using insurance, then you're using a US surgeon. I just wouldn't settle for the one that's close...find the best one you can that insurance will cover. With the most experience and the most patients saying they're amazing.