Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomach Size- Thought This Was Crazy!

At my nutrition class I said I know about the whole 85% of stomach removed yada yada but how much volume does a "regular" stomach really hold.

She says that after surgery I'll be able to eat 3-5 oz. at a meal, then eventually 5-8 oz. at about a year or so.

Most hold 67-135 oz. Say huh wh...huh..whatchu. wh.. wh.. huh..what??? :o

Yep ....

8 oz vs. 135 oz. how's that for a different perspective? :P

I'm still good- starting the liquid pre-op tomorrow. But, I'll tell you I was working that 67-135 at Longhorn yesterday. And loved every minute.

Now it's time to get serious and start my new life.

with a 3 oz. stomach capacity..oy

It's amazing, isn't it? I'm still amazed at how little I can eat and be full, and I'm five months out! It's wonderful. :)

It's amazing, isn't it? I'm still amazed at how little I can eat and be full, and I'm five months out! It's wonderful. :)

That's great to hear- keeps me going. Thanks!

I amazed at how little I can eat, still feel full, and not feel like I'm going to pass out. I feel, dare I say it, normal. I'm eating far less but I'm not lacking in energy. I honestly thought I wouldn't be able to get out of bed from lack of sustenance but I was wrong.

At my nutrition class I said I know about the whole 85% of stomach removed yada yada but how much volume does a "regular" stomach really hold.

She says that after surgery I'll be able to eat 3-5 oz. at a meal, then eventually 5-8 oz. at about a year or so.

Yep ....

I'm still good- starting the liquid pre-op tomorrow. But, I'll tell you I was working that 67-135 at Longhorn yesterday. And loved every minute.

OMG!!! THAT's INSANE!!!! Sheesh. Although that is some shocking news. I won't allow it to deter me. I start my pre-op on Saturday. One more day to eat eat eat!!!! Hehe.

She says that after surgery I'll be able to eat 3-5 oz. at a meal' date=' then eventually 5-8 oz. at about a year or so.

Yep ....

with a 3 oz. stomach capacity..oy [/quote']

Wow!! That's crazy.. But if you look at it, growing up we only drank 8Oz of milk in a bottle and then ate 8Oz of food as toddlers.. We are being reborn to live longer, healthier lives.. Good luck on your pre_op..

Sent from my SPH-D710 using VST

This is totally interesting to me. I'm hoping that I can have a smaller stomach as time goes by. It just goes to show how much food we ate that we didn't need. I want to always get a high nutritional value from my foods and not get a bigger stomach. It is doable. no more surgery for me. Yayyyyyyyyyyy! :) This works, so hang in there and make all the healthy eating and exercise transitions that's needed. :)

WHOA!!!!!!!!!! This is absolutely nuts!! No wonder I am the size I am.. Well, all this keeps me moving the right directions!! I still have yet to set the date on my surery, but this is just the kinda stuff I love!! Thanks for sharing (:

Yep ....

it is crazy! i am a year out and can eat about 6-7 oz. I can eat a lot more than when i was first post op but no where near what i could eat before! Thank goodness for my sleeve!

OMGosh! I never knew that! That, I'm sure, is the reason I am where I am today. I'm sure I won't mind eating less food, as long as I'm full. I can't wait to get started.

It will take a while but that 3-6oz at a time will actually become NORMAL!!! It's wonderful really. I'm 20 months post-op and what shocks me now is what regular non-surgically-altered people eat in ONE MEAL. It is crazy portions. I know I used to do it too, but it still blows my mind when I see someone eat an entire platter of food!

I vacillate between that little bit will be great as long as I don't have hunger- TO.. but I want a?? roll w/butter AND a salad AND a baked potato AND green Beans and the WHATEVER meat (notice lol the Protein was mentioned last-- not lost on me). Oh, and did I mention dessert?

Funny thing is when I went yesterday for that last big meal (although it wasn't near what I've been capable of) I noticed my a little overweight but normal-sized friend ate the entire plate and salad while I couldn't finish at all and had a stomach ache all night (probably gallstones though). But I wondered why with my weight I've never been (compared to others) a "high volume at once" eater yet skinnier friends can eat so much more. So I guess your stomach is your stomach and it's the calories a day not a meal that determines the fatness? :rolleyes:

It's weird what you start to analyze when getting this surgery.

Maybe it's also like those skinny girls who can drink tons of alcohol and not seem drunk and I was never able to drink much without feeling it. No that's different.

Hmmm...this is more of a blog isn't it? I don't have much experience in these areas. :P

I was reading myaceinhand.blog spot.com and there was a lot of good info on the surgery and our stomachs.

It says the average stomach holds 32-48 oz or 4 to 6 cups per meal. Post VSG (6 months out) holds 8-12 ozs or 1-1.5 cups per meal.

And it mentions the cottage cheese test to check your stomach capacity.