Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok so I'm having surgery out of state, in Louisiana where my best friend lives and will help care for me after surgery.

I know the first week I can't drive back bc I have an an appt at 1 week out anyway. And then again at 1 month so I'm thinking of staying the entire month anyway.

Anyway I have a 9 hour drive back to Ga and I'm thinking it'll be at least 2 weeks before I can take such a long trip, especially driving myself, if not longer?

I'll talk to the Dr about this Monday but wanted to get someone else's input that maybe has experience?

Thanks!

Johnathan

All I know is you need to walk alot to avoid any blood clots and to relieve the gas from the shoulders. Maybe at two weeks you will feel like it, but I know my doctor says no road trips for at least 6 weeks. It is important not to miss your follow up appts. i guess your doctor will have to decide what's best for you. Good luck!

Oh I'm definitely not missing my appointments. I knew when I chose to have an out of state Dr that I would have appointments and have to drive there to see him, and I have no problem with that.

Most likely I'll just stay the entire month until after my first visit and then drive home. I may go on blood thinners anyway depending on if my Dr uses them post op, and If blood clots could be an issue, he could always give them to me before I drive home or something. Idk but I'm def. talking to him about it Monday!

Thanks!

DAMN! I never thought about this. I have a 9 hour drive 1.5 weeks post-op. I guess I'll have to remember to pull over half way to take a potty break. Thanks for posting, Johnathan.

I'm driving 6 1/2 hours to and from Mexico with my mom and I was told to stop and walk every few hours after on our way home.

Are you driving or riding? Im driving by myself. I just worry If I have to make any sudden movements, etc. don't wanna tear anything loose.

I'll see what the Dr says

As someone who has/had a blood clot after surgery, let me assure you that you want to do everything you can do to avoid it.

My hematologist makes me get up and walk around every hour and a half for at least five minutes. Of course, he's conservative, but thought I would pass it along ...

This may be an unusual question, but how do you know you have a blood clot? Are there any signs or symptoms that lead to one??

I feel as though the drive should be okay, right?. I mean, you sleep 6-8 hours a night with minimal movement. I'll just play some fun dance music and make sure I'm moving all joints a bit, with a stop half way to walk for roughly 5-10 minutes.

You know u have a blood clot when your leg swells and it is painful. But the goal after surgery is not having any ailments starting with abcd.