Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Week Discouraging Stall

I was sleeved last Thursday and had been enjoying the daily weight loss until yesterday when I didn't lose anything and am UP a pound today! (now i realize it might not be a big deal to some but it is to me.....i didnt go throigh this to gain weight back!). Not sure if it's my body going into starvation mode or what it is.....I've been trying to eat properly but I have a hard time getting in ENOUGH calories. My Protein has been sufficient....2 Protein Shakes (40g/per) plus food. Breakfast I usually have half cup if lucky of cream

Of wheat w/coconut milk, snack Protein Drink, 1/4 cream Soup 1/4 coconut milk for lunch, protein drink for dinner & plain Greek yogurt/coconut milk for dinner....feeling really discouraged today. I realize I'm just a week out and HAVE lost weight but why the GAIN? My calories are barely 500/day if that depending what I eat! Any suggestions appreciated. Im going to try & walk more but it's going to be 100 degrees today so might not get too far today!

I wouldn't worry about the small gain. i don't suggest weighing yourself daily. Weigh yourself maybe 3 times a week. your weight will fluctuate day to day. make sure you are getting your liquid. Do not walk if it is 100 degrees outside. dehydration will set you back and slow the weight loss. give yourself a break you are only a week out.

That was NOT fat gain! It is Water WEIGHT! Your body fluctuates hourly, daily, weekly, etc. For me, I actually gain close to 10 lbs every 3 weeks... it goes right down and then some... but it just happens. This is not an actual gain. If you can, pull yourself away from the scale. You will learn that your numbers will fluctuate and that this is normal. Until then, you are going to drive yourself crazy.

Don't kill yourself on exercise right now either. You are only a week out of surgery. Going outside in this heat with so little calories would be hazardous to your health. You could pass out or get dizzy and that would set you back.

The only thing I didn't see you mention was water. Make sure you are getting in your liquids!! Believe it or not, to get rid of water weight, you have to drink more water! This is the MOST IMPORTANT thing for you at only a week out.

Good luck and don't let this discourage you.

I think you really need to relax a little bit about this or you are going to have a lot of upsetting moments like you are going through right now. I got sleeved on June 4th I weighed 229 on June 9th I weighed 235!!! I gained weight and I only had Water, peppermint tea and one or two sips of Isopure, one bite of Jello and wasn't getting in more than 75 calories a day. For the past two weeks I am at about 200 calories just started to handle a Protein Shake yeterday. I have lost about a pound every other day. I have stepped on the scale in this time and was up a pound and tried back later or the next day and went down. I know the rapid weight loss IS going to stop. It's going to stop because now I'm starting to get some calories in and I have to adjust and I'm going to have ups and downs. I can weigh myself at 3 different times of the day and weigh differently.

The sleeve is only a tool, and immediately going into it you think you are always going to lose weight, every day you are setting yourself up for a lot of depressing moments. The issue you are having at this moment, isn't the fact that you gained a pound (because it's not fat gain, it's just a slight fluctuation in water weight), it's the actual time where you start having emotions from after surgery. I cried twice this week and I NEVER....I mean I never cry about things, and the things I cried about were ridiculous.

Please just give your body time to heal, give your stomach time to heal, I'm further out than you and my stomach is still swollen, I'm still experiencing gas pains, and my sleeve is still swollen. I'm still on liquids from my doctor.

I was sleeved last Thursday 6/14 I am really having a hard time knowing what to eat .

ImGodsent,

My surgeon has me on a full liquid diet for the first 2 weeks. Ive been eating...

**creamed Soups (I like to eat as organic as possible & I found pacific natural foods has a yummy cream of chicken Soup & a cream of celery I'm going to try today

**plain Greek yogurt w/coconut milk added

**plain Campbell's Tomato soup...any of the cream of tomato soups irritate my sleeve...& have more fat than I liked

**cream of wheat w/coconut milk added...stevia for a little sweetness

**pro 5 Protein shakes-2/day at 32g protein each

Hope this helps a little...good luck! There's lots of great suggestions/topics on this forum!

I was sleeved last Thursday and had been enjoying the daily weight loss until yesterday when I didn't lose anything and am UP a pound today! (now i realize it might not be a big deal to some but it is to me.....i didnt go throigh this to gain weight back!). Not sure if it's my body going into starvation mode or what it is.....I've been trying to eat properly but I have a hard time getting in ENOUGH calories. My Protein has been sufficient....2 Protein Shakes (40g/per) plus food. Breakfast I usually have half cup if lucky of cream

Of wheat w/coconut milk, snack protein drink, 1/4 cream Soup 1/4 coconut milk for lunch, protein drink for dinner & plain Greek yogurt/coconut milk for dinner....feeling really discouraged today. I realize I'm just a week out and HAVE lost weight but why the GAIN? My calories are barely 500/day if that depending what I eat! Any suggestions appreciated. Im going to try & walk more but it's going to be 100 degrees today so might not get too far today!

Wow. That's actually pretty good. I did not lose a single pound the first week, and I was on Clear Liquids. The doc said that is totally normal. SO.....if you lost your first week....BONUS!!! Take it.

Plus...you have to understand there will be Fluid retention that will make your weight fluctuate. you must not panic about this. It is normal, and it will be a continuous part of your journey. Just always keep in mind it will go away again. You did NOT gain a pound of fat back.

I lost 1st wk but stalled 2nd week until my body adjusted. I am on wk 3 and lost a little more.... From what I hear this is normal!

Thank you so much for the Soup advice . What Protein are you using I am having a hard time finding one I can handle ( they taste gross ) .

I use Nu-Tek Pro 5 chocolate. I like it.

You are allowed to eat all of that in the first week ? I had revision on the 14th as well and has been on clear liquid alone. my doctor said clear liquid for 14 days. I have lost 8 lbs since monday as I gained alot of weight from the IV Fluid after surgery. I was 198 lbs the morning of the surgery and was still 198 lbs by monday morning. I'm sure the weight will come out just be patient.

You are allowed to eat all of that in the first week ? I had revision on the 14th as well and has been on clear liquid alone. my doctor said clear liquid for 14 days. I have lost 8 lbs since monday as I gained alot of weight from the IV Fluid after surgery. I was 198 lbs the morning of the surgery and was still 198 lbs by monday morning. I'm sure the weight will come out just be patient.

I was sleeved Thursday and by Sunday i started full liquids for 12 days as ordered. Like I said, was just having an emotional morning :). Good luck with your journey!