Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok - when I met with the nutritionist she said that I will only be able to take a tiny bite or two and I'm trying to do that.. but a lot of times my subconscious takes over and is like hey I know how to eat, stop wasting mental energy on it..

I know post-surgery, I will need to eat VERY slowly, much smaller bites, and while my stomach is gonna be smaller, my mouth will be as big as ever lol - I am interested in what others went through in re-learning how to eat. I mean we learn how to eat as a baby, so it's practically instinct re-learning it seems like it might be difficult. I also am really bad at sipping throughout the day I usually chug 4 Water bottles in 3 minutes at 4 different times of day to get my daily Water intake...

I'm just thinking this is gonna be hard for me to change, and would like some insight from those who've been there, done that.

I recently watched this HBO documentary show thing called Weight Of The World and it wasn't in relation to a weight loss surgery but they actually had some good advice on this.

It was a couple who was relearning how to appreciate food healthily rather than take advantage and scarf down food and be complete pigs (like we all are!)

So basically they just said you turn it into a meditation. Prepare/receive your food, set it in front of you and just meditate. Take in the aroma and how much you enjoy the smell, close your eyes and think about the food you are about to eat. Think about the calories and Protein and whatever it is you need this food for. And then think about how you appreciate the food. You only need to do it for 2 or 3 minutes at most. It's not a long process. But just do it to sort of relax your mind and force yourself to tell yourself to eat it slowly, appreciate the food and not take advantage of it.

I have honestly been trying this and it works. You eat so much slower but you have to WANT to do this. Otherwise your subconscious is just going to say hey this is stupid I'm not going to do this I'm just going to scarf it.

If you want to do it, you will! Just turn it into a relaxing moment instead of a OH MY GOD IM GOING TO EAT THIS DELICIOUS FOODDDDDDD. I had to learn to do it too, it was NOT easy at first!

I put my fork down every few bites and remain conscious of what I'm eating and to take it slow- it is all in our minds - it's going to take some time before we get out of the "shove it in as fast as we can" mindset.

I had to use a toddler spoon at first and a kid fork It helped SO much.

If you have someone eating with you, strike up a conversation (: or I'll text or check something between every bite. I always concentrate on the flavor, texture, smell of every bite. Same thing with liquids.< /p>

Patrick, I am so happy for you to be having this surgery! You are a handsome guy and I can only imagine how you'll look like a "chick magnet" when you get your weight off. B)

The best thing to do for yourself is to stay on this board and get encouragement from the rest of us. The biggest change in my life has been.......well, I have several......1. I'm getting compliments on how I look.....but that's not the most important to me....it's this one.....2. I have stopped the negative "self talk" and self-loathing. That's all because I'm not eating crap or overeating. So for me, it's a mental thing. You'll read on this board that it's "brain surgery"....not stomach surgery. :) We need to readjust our brains to this new way of life. Believe me, I DO NOT miss the way of life I had before. All the pluses from this surgery way outweigh what I was before. Sure, I'm never had 100+ lbs to lose, but being "fat" is fat, no matter how fat you are. ;)

You have a whole new life ahead of you! God bless you as you begin your journey. I'll be looking forward to reading about your journey. We are here for you. Slow down and enjoy the ride!

lol I thought I was the only one!!!

It is definitely a learning process.. and one that is ongoing even after being sleeved... Sometimes, I forget and attempt to chug Water, Sleevina let's me know who's in charge... I'd say, work on one thing at a time.. Set a timer for 20 minutes and try to extend your meal time to that length...

I purchased a rubbermaid 32oz water bottle w/ a spout.. I definitely can't chug out of it.. Maybe get one of those and try to take a sip or 2 every few minutes....

Wow thanks for all the comments- Discordya I never thought to meditate w/ my dinner.. how much thinner would I be if I'd said a quick prayer before each meal 'god, please don't let this stick to places I don't want it to' lol.. But seriously - we did a lot of meditation type stuff when I was in Massage School 10 years ago(not my profession, changed fields completely but still love bodywork - just I love programming/computers/marketing/social media a lot more..)

I am definitely gonna give that a try, and I also like the suggestion of using baby-size utensils, though I think I'll look like a fool if I went into a steakhouse, bought a manly steak (pre-op of course) and pulled out my tiny pink fork lol... I could imagine the stares I'd get... would make for a funny youtube video though lmao.

Also think I'll give some thought to setting my fork down between bites... I just sometimes mistake food for oxygen and start inhaling it. -

Thanks for all your advice - really helped me see ways I could tackle this. I really want to be prepared going into surgery, I'm sure some people just go and have it without doing their due dilligence then wake up and are like woah what did I do.. I hate it..or they make themselves sick because they're eating wrong...

As a control freak, I gotta know every single thing - I'm like totally obsessing over this.

I purchased toddler spoons but now I eat out of teaspoons and small bowls. Today at lunch I was hungry (yes I get nauseous when my body needs fuel) I'm in the pureed stage and last night I made a pot of seasoned green Beans and pureed it. It is yummy. Well old habits set in and before I knew it I had shoveled 4 consecutive spoonfuls in my mouth. Well Roxie (my sleeve) put me in check quick. She started making noises then I started burping and I felt a huge air bubble rise. I thought I was going to puke. I did a gag burp kinda thing twice and felt better. I closed my container and signed onto VST and read your post. So....you will learn your sleeve and when you mess up you will learn from your mistakes. I think we all have gulped or chugged without thinking and POW!! Reality reminds you that you can't do that anymore. Now remember INSANITY is repeatedly doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result! I know you aren't INSANE! RIGHT? LOL

Don't worry you will learn even if it's the hard way!

I was very worried about this too....pre-op I obsessed and worried about all the details-- but trust me your sleeve tells you what to do post-op and you just need to be patient and the weight falls off.

I love this idea! I'm putting it in my preparation folder.

I use baby spoons, I got a pack of like 20 at our Dollar Tree. I also got some little toddler bowls and plates to use to help with Portion Control as well as I weigh and measure my foods. I find if I am watching TV or some other "brain dead" activity I will eat to fast and I actually started making myself leave my food away from me, so I would take a bite then walk away and have to get back up to get another one so I can slow down.