Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hurting....when Does It End?

I was just sleeved on Tuesday, May 29th. I am just a couple of days out, but boy oh boy do I hurt. I feel like I have been beat in my abdomen, then set on fire! It is bearable most of the time, but getting up from sitting position or sitting from a standing position is excruciating. I have also had a couple of coughing fits that REALLY hurt, as did the ride home from the hospital today on our crappy Tennessee highways. How long til the majority of this pain subsides? food is the least of my worries. I just want to feel crappy. Please share.

Hi I was banded the 29th too! I'm also in alot of pain. If I take my pain meds every 4 hours like prescribed (my doctor prescribed loratab or something like that), the pain is managable but I keep trying to NOT take my meds and then I'm in serious pain.

Getting up and sitting down are the hardest for me too. If I could just lay here all day it wouldn't be as bad but I have two kids who want constant attention and that's hard. I want to stop the pain meds asap because they make me groggy.

good to meet you on here--there's a couple of us sleeved on May 29th :-)

Hopefully they gave you some good liquid pain medication? If they did, don't be shy, take it. If they did not, call your doctor and get some - you'll be glad you did! I had to take it for four days and then after for a few days at night until the pain subsided. The other thing that I did was to press a small pillow to my abdomen when I got in/out of bed, or up/down sitting. I saw a post a while ago where someone used a stuffed animal for the same purpose.

You will be fine by saturday sunday, first couple days are worst and after that its lose, lose and lose.......all worth it. My ride home from hospital was not a fun one ethier . good luck and welcome to the loosers bench

Oh, and my surgeon let me take 5 - 10 cc's every two hours if I needed it. I took 10 cc's every two hours for the first 24 hours, and then was able to take it every four hours.

Seems my procedure went a bit different than yours, so the only thing I can say is I was kept in the hospital for 2 days after surgery an given pain meds the whole time I was there. Since I left the hospital I haven't had any pain at all, a bit of pressure from gas which goes away fairly quickly.

Are you walking much? The more you walk the faster you're stomach will get back to proper operation , and that might just help relieve the pain you are feeling.

I walked to our car today. Baptist Hospital in Nashville is a HUGE rat maze. Once we went though two building, my daughter realized she couldn't remember where she parked in the parking garage. That was a lot more walking. I will get out and walk our culdesac after dark. Can't imagine putting on a bra right now, so night walking it shall be...LOL! Thanks everyone. I just needed to hear that there is a light at the end of this tunnel!

BTW I am originally from Murfreesboro, so you are right in my old stomping grounds. I live in Missouri now but still get down that way to visit family on a pretty regular basis. So, hi neighbor.

I feel your pain, liteally! Was sleeved on teh 29th and I ache. I am moving better, but still have pain. May end up sleeping in the rocking chair this evening. Tried to take a nap in bed this aftenoon and the pain was so bad I had to get aftr a minute. Good luck.

I was sleeved April 25. I never thought my pain would go away. Even 1 week ago today it still hurt to laugh,cough& sneeze. It even hurt to sit up straight to drive. I could only sleep on my back. The good news is this week all week I have felt great! I can laugh,sneeze,& cough with no pain!! I can also sleep on both sides!!

Trust me it does get better. I never thought i was going to feel better again. But I feel great now! Good luck!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have had three c-sections and seemed to be feeling pretty good after a day or two, but then I was 11 years younger! I know it will get better; I just am inpatient to get back into the swing of things with kid's summer activities. The good news it that I lost 22 pounds on the two week liquid diet so I am on the way to getting off the excessive weight.

I was sleeved on may 29th too! Im feeling ok- just really tired, weak and sore. I was kept for 2 nights as well because my surgery was more extensive because of scar tissue from my band. I also have to deal with a stupid drain for the next week too. Anyways, as far as coughing- get a small pillow or fold a set of sheets up into a squre and put it in your tummy when you have to cough. Learned that one from my 2 c-sections that I had.

I was sleeved 5/22. My pain lasted prob 4 days that was intense at times. I literally wrote down everything I did and took my pain meds every four hours during that time. I now at 9 days out an almost completely pain free. One incision on my left is still sore, like a bruise.

I walked so much the first couple days my legs hurt, and my husbands from being up with me in the hospital. The gas and bloating was by far the worse to me. I'm glad yo say that now, its much better and yours will be to just give it a few more days. Don't be afraid to take your meds either...once pain gets bad its hard to manage. You'll notice you don't need as much or that u can space longer intervals. Just a couple more days. Good luck!!

I was sleeved on May 21 and I'm still having some minor paint one incision site. Doc told me that one always takes longer to heal, but it's keeping me from walking very far at all. I go back in to see him on June 12, really hoping the pain is resolved by then!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am a fairly active person, and this has kicked my butt! I am getting a tiny bit better each day! Thanks for all the words of encouragement,