Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just set the date for June 29th. I'm very nervous. Not about the surgery itself, but about what it will be like to eat for the rest of my life. They told me to try to lose some weight now if I could. Then, of course, the two week pre-op diet to help reduce the fattiness of the liver. They say it helps with the surgery. I will be following everyone who has the surgery scheduled around the same time. We'll all go through the pre-op together, and the recovery together. Anyone in NYC?

That's great Eileen! I am trying to lose weight right now too. I am at 295 and really want to be closer to 275 when I have my surgery. This week I cut out complex carbs and fried food. Last week I cut out soda, that has been rough (serious caffeine headaches) I am going to try and stick with this until the 2 weeks before when I start my liquids. It seems like an eternity until the end of June!

Hi KK,

I wish you very good luck. I know how difficult it is. I haven't started to control my eating yet. I'm under too much stress right now.

Here is one of my concerns: Even after I have the surgery, how will I handle my emotional need for comfort? I have always used food for that. When I can't fit more than 2 oz. into my stomach, and I'm under orders to stay away from fat and sugar, how will I soothe myself?

KK, it sounds like you are doing great in controling what you are taking in. Stick with it. :) And best of luck!

Eileen, I think about that too. I am most afraid that I will fail at this like I have every other diet. My good friend had the surgery last July an has already lost 100 pounds. She said that she no longer craves the things that she shouldn't have because when she did try them they made her feel so lousy. She said that she had the same fears. I think that food has just been so important to us that we can't even wrap our brains around not needing it for comfort and entertainment. I feel almost like food has me held captive and finally after the surgery I will be in control, not the food.

KK, I pray that that is true! I don't doubt that it will be for the first year. Tiny tummy. Stretch receptors gone. Cues that say, "Feed Me!" - gone. I want to believe that this will last beyond the first year. When the tummy no longer rebels.

I bought some books on overcoming emotional eating. I'd really like to work through them with a therapist, but I haven't found one truly competent in understanding emotional eating.

I am sure that the surgeon is right when he says that this surgery is just a tool. The rest is the work you do on what drives you to eat. Those things will still be there.

I have an interesting book sitting on my shelf, for when I get a little time. It's called, It Ain't Over Till the Thin Lady Sings. The author is a woman who had gastric bypass and it's about the inner work she did to keep the weight off after she lost it. I want to read it before my surgery date.

Hi kk, I am scheduled the week after you... July 3rd. I am trying to cut out the carbs, too, but it is much harder than soda! I have cut out most of that for the last month or so. The headaches were awful for about a week. I need some encouragement and tips for the carbs!!! Good luck - hopefully it will be here before we know it! BTW, who is your surgeon?

That's great Eileen! I am trying to lose weight right now too. I am at 295 and really want to be closer to 275 when I have my surgery. This week I cut out complex carbs and fried food. Last week I cut out soda, that has been rough (serious caffeine headaches) I am going to try and stick with this until the 2 weeks before when I start my liquids. It seems like an eternity until the end of June!

nabird77, Welcome! It has been really hard cutting out the carbs but I keep telling myself that I need to do this now instead of when I am in pain from the surgery. I have been pretty hungry because I am used to that full feeling you get from carbs (which is so comforting). When I am starving I just keep telling myself " just a few more weeks and the hunger part will be over" I have lost 10.5 pounds in the past two weeks just by cutting out the carbs alone. I know it is miserable but you can do it! I am not cutting out fruits and vegtables that have carbs, just starchy ones and fried food. I also cut out soda which was horrible but like I said better now than later. I have been eating alot of meat and fruit which tastes really good. I am also using the myfitnesspal app on my phone to keep my calories lower. Just take it one meal at a time and if you mess up it's OK. Every pound you loose now will help after surgery so I have heard. Good luck to you!!!

Thanks girls for posting. I thought I would try the fasting diet ahead of time so I could have an idea what I am in for. Nasty says it nicely. No carbs ugg. I caved a little bit when I got home from work tonight. If anyone thinks this is going t to be easy it is not. The mind says one thing and the heart says another. Better day tomorrow try try try.

I'm June 28th too!! So exciting!