Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Soon To Ride

My boyfriend and I ride all the time- they said I should wait a month- I am a passenger - that seems like a long time- any advice?

I rode in 5 days. No problems at all. Just kept a bottle of Water & sipped & soaked up the sun.

I cant wait to ride. my gift to myself when I reach goal will be a bike. I have wanted one for a long time, but didnt want to be the fat ass riding down the road. i'm scared i'll be put on youtube...lol.

I was going to take the class this spring- decided to take care of this first - but someday I hope to ride my own!!

Good luck with both your results and riding. Maybe one day we can have a VSG ride.

Dumb question here, but what are "we" riding? Horses, motorcycles, bicycles, brooms?

never mind, just realized which forum i was on. . . it's motorcycles right? Sorry can't help you with this one, I'm a horse rider. . . hehehehe

Yes Motorcycles :-)

I love horses too - just have been afraid I'd hurt them - maybe when I lose my weight I will ride horses again too!!

I actually have my MSF class for ABRC at the end of this month. I rode a lot (30k miles) when I was out of the country and ever since I got back in 05 I've been thinking about getting a license. It never panned out because I only rode when I was in military school and I gained about 120 pounds after I got out.

But I'm under 300 again so I figured I would do my advanced rider class, relearn some safety tips, and get my license. Not sure what bike I want yet, but I'm throwing around a few ideas.

Peaceful / Baby Girl, go to the Riders Class, it is WELL worth it! Next, hook up with some well seasoned riders who can show you all the ropes! I bought my Harley about 3 yrs ago and have been the fat chick on the bike ever since! I can't wait to fit into some of those cute little leather halter tops and look good doing it!!!

:)

Scheduled to have my surgery May 31st, 2012. Super pumped about it!!!

Boots in Houston

@boots, I probably would be a big girl on the motorcycle, but at 439 I wouldnt feel safe. I want to make sure my reaction time is good. I might take the class at 350, and determine if I'm comfortable enough to ride regularly.

@Babygirl, looks like you are well on your way! 47lbs gone is fantastic! How long ago was your surgery? Keep it up, and this time next year you'll be cruisin down the road with the wind in your face riding your own scooter!!!

:)

I was going to take the class this spring- decided to take care of this first - but someday I hope to ride my own!!

All I gotta say is just do it!!! I just posted a topic asking for advice on how long to refrain from riding. I am 54 and I have been on the back of a bike since I was about 10 and always wanted to ride. Right after I turned 50 I said to heck with it and bought my first bike. Now I am on my 4th and final bike (for awhile til something else a little shinier catches my eye lol) and it's a full out bagger. 750 pound boyfriend is what I call him.

You go UWISHTOO!!! I have been riding so long now that if I even dare to get on the back of my boyfriends bike I squeeze him till he can't breath! I wonder about how long it will take before I can ride also! My bike is pretty darn heavy! Once I get going, I'll be fine....it's just being able to handle it at a stand still......

Thoughts anyone?

lol Not sure about the standing still part. Just all a matter of balance and the bike being a good fit for you. Your "Pearl" is gorgeous! I got on the back of my own bike once and let me tell ya I didn't like it one bit. Felt so weird. My best friend and I dropped his bike off for some repairs and then he rode me on the back to go to his house to wait for his bike to get done. I think I have been on the back maybe 4 times since I started riding my own. I am sitting here finally making the decision to go for the sleeve. Fought my weight all my life and been 200 and been 105 and in the last year and a half I have lost my battle with my weight so to heck with it I am doing this. Waiting for the call from the surgeons office right now. My only concern is being able to get there and back and be able to still work. Being self employed I HAVE to be at my clients on their scheduled days or I lose business and I can't afford to do that for sure. So I am thinking fly out of Phoenix on Wednesday nite, have the surgery on Thursday and then flying back home late Sunday nite so I can have one day to work from home on Monday then in house visits with my clients by Tuesday. Lucky for me I only go in house 5 hours on Tuesday and Wednesdays so I can tough it out for those few of hours.

@UWISHTOO, I'm the same way. I plan to fly out to San Diego on May 30th, surgery on the 31st, fly home on the 3rd and start working from home ASAP. I actually took 6 days total vacation but hoping I wont have to use them all. We shall see! I dont see why you couldnt visit you clients after surgery. Maybe just wear a sundress so your belly isnt confined. DUNNO....I'm playing this by ear myself! Seen some who are up and about shortly after surgery and then I've seen some that can't get moving for 2-3 weeks.

Nice bike by the way! You look like a rock-n-roll hot mama in your profile pic! :P