Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am going for self pay I. Am worried about if I have complications who will pay. I know that things will be ok but afraid of a huge bill. My dr office tells me to call ins myself. No help. I am being sleeved 5/8/12. But may hold off to get more info or wait 6 months for ins. But I am 42 bmi and on a diet. I know I will be under that so ins may not cover anyway. I need to do this to move on in life I am 54 5.8. 280 lbs

What insurance do you have? I just called BCBS the other day and was assured any complications would be covered.

What insurance do you have? I just called BCBS the other day and was assured any complications would be covered.

True but with self pay not sure about problems

Are you going to Mexico or staying in the US? I imagine you would have to pay for the complications yourself. I am worried about this too. I am going to Mexico next month.

I am cash pay in the U.S. I am 8 days post-op. I researched my insurance and the surgery prior and any complications won't be covered. My third day after surgery, I really freaked out and cried about this. I'm feeling super now so I hope everything goes okay. This is all I have, hope. Ultimately, the decision is up to you, good luck.

I have also had the same thoughts go threw my mind but I am trying to find the best surgeon with the best track record so I wont feel any nerves.

Phillip-

You need to call your insurance company. Speak to a supervisor if you have to. I have bariatric coverage on my policy. However, the benefits aren't very good so I too am doing cash pay. Because baratric surgery isn't an excluded condition, complications would be covered. If your policy has a bariatric exclusion, it could only exclude the surgery itself or it could exclude the surgery itself and and resulting complications.

Best of luck to you!

Am going for self pay I. Am worried about if I have complications who will pay. I know that things will be ok but afraid of a huge bill. My dr office tells me to call ins myself. No help. I am being sleeved 5/8/12. But may hold off to get more info or wait 6 months for ins. But I am 42 bmi and on a diet. I know I will be under that so ins may not cover anyway. I need to do this to move on in life I am 54 5.8. 280 lbs

Hi phillip.....i had sleeve done mar 7th....i was a self pay...my insurance bcbs refused to pay any part and also told me if I had complications they would not cover any part of it....1 month out...all went well,..where will you be if you dont get sleeved?...if its necessary,then you gotta go with it!...thats how I determined to sleeve or not.....it was necessary if I wanted to extend my life!...good luck to ya!...remember this is routine to the dr...he could probably do the procedure in his sleep!..just get a good dr...!

If they will cover the surgery, I would wait. When you start the 6 month diet, it is my understanding that they go with the first documented weight. I began this process in December. I have two appointments next week, my 5th nutrition class on the 17th & my final class will be in May. It's really not that bad. I used that time to learn as much information as possible & to prepare for my surgery...hope that helps. Good luck!

Little bits

You're welcome! :)

Little bits

There is a certification program for gastric surgeons called BLIS. BLIS will offer patients financing and WARRANTIES for self pay. I purchased two warranties for leaks and blood clots so I wouldn't have to pay out of pocket since I too was self pay. I was sleeved 1-12-12. Here is the link to BLIS, it should have a list of approved surgeons. http://www.bliscompany.com/ BLIS surgeons are the ones with the best stats with little or no complication history..