Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Hide Your...

Hairloss??? I have pcos so I started out really thin on the front. Now it is totally thin. I am so embarrassed. To make it worse I have curly hair. I cannot find a topper anywhere. On my beautician's advice, I ordered some concealer. It's not here yet, but im so afraid its going to be noticeable. I feel ugly, ashamed and depressed....

I'm so sorry you're feeling that way! I too have a ton of hairloss, and am scared! I hope the concealer you get does the trick for you! Just think, it will come back soon, it's not gone forever! HUGS!

I have lost a lot of hair too. I agree we just got to keep in mind that it will come back. I have decided to not cover it up, and just let nature take its course, so unfortunately I cannot offer you any advice.

I have the same issue. I know what you are going through. I just bought a top piece from wigs.com

It looks really cute. However it clips in to the little hair I have up there.

I am thinking of ordering something more like an actual wig.

Where did you get the concealer from? My hair is so thin I think it would be very noticeable.

Hi, i had my surgery almost 6 mnths ago and started lossing my hair 2 months ago. I just want to say it does get better mine has started to slow down already and my mum who had a gastric bypass 3 years ago said the same thing all hers has grown back and you would have never known.

Hey Meg,

I know it is horrible to have really thin hair, I am the same... Not sure if this will help, but I had to have mine cut short and sort of swept to the side to conceal the thinness... it does the trick to a certain degree...

Just remember though, you are NOT UGLY!! Your hair does not define YOU... ok, so it helps us along the way... but you are still You and still beautiful!

Hugs x

Here's a trick I saw on TV that you could use until your concealer comes in. Make sure your hair is dry when you do this. Moisten your scalp with a little lotion and if you have dark hair, use a dark foundation powder (probably something that is for an african american women) and using a blush brush, gently apply the powder down in your roots. It'll take a try or two to get the hang of it, but it will work. If you have blond hair, get a color that matches your hair type. Its a temp fix, but it should get you through.

Also, if you want extensions and you can't find any in sally's or another hair store, if you have a friend who's a beautician, they have specialty stores that only they can shop in with their beautician license. They have a lot better quality clip in extensions for less expensive. Even curly hair extensions I have really thick hair and it took two packs for me to add some length and it was a total of $80, $40 per package. So one pack may work fine. You can put them in right at your scalp, under the last row of hair. Then use your concealer to mask any scalp still show and voila....your hair will probably look better than it did pre surgery. I used to always get compliments on my hair when I had my extensions in and no one realized that it was the extensions, not my hair.

*hugs* I'm scared about this too!! I don't wanna lose my hair! I'm planning to cut my hair and have money saved to buy hair extensions. I'm also taking Biotin, hoping this helps...

Can extensions really hide the thinning hair on top?? From my pcos Im getting really thin. I thought extensions only made hair longer and thicker in the body not helped on top. I'm all for it if I can hide it.

There are a couple ways you can do hair extensions. As long as you have enough hair on top to hide the clips then you should be fine and it will definitely help with volume, even on top. You can tease it (not 80's style teasing) but back brush it and it will help to add some height and volume. Also, and I cannot stress this enough. You NEED to be using a really good Shampoo and conditioner right now too. Biolage is probably the only stuff from a regular store that I would use, but I would recommend getting shampoo/conditioner from a salon that will help to keep the hair you have.

If you don't have enough hair on top to clip in the extensions, you could try having it weaved in. There are a lot of salon's that will do blond extensions and weave them in. Its around $200 here (Albany, NY) and will vary depending on the area you are in. From everything I heard, you won't lose it all, so as long as you have enough to weave into your head, that will work.

Last case it that they can glue extensions in too, I believe right to your head, but I'm not 100% sure. Well its sorta glue, sorta wax. But think about stars who have super super short hair, almost shaved, and they get a full weave glued in.

You do have various options. I would see what you have available in your area. If you can't find any salons that will do this, most african american salons do it, so you could order the hair you want and then bring it in and have them do it. If you go for a hair piece I really recommend working with your hairdresser to pick one out. I talked to my hairdresser about it before surgery and she said that if it comes to that, she works with a wig company that professional fits the wig to your head and then she will professional cut and style it so it looks as natural as possible.

Hope this helps.