Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my sleeve surgery this past Monday the 27th. Everything went off without a hitch. While in the hospital (and on IV pain meds) I was able to do the ice chips like no bodys business! and drank most everything placed in front of me. I also walked with no assistance. There was some discomfort in my chest area. Today is the first day I am going to do my best to stay up. Sitting on sofa, and not in the recliner.

What I would like to ask is did anyone experience this?: when I sip, as soon as it hits my chest area it feels like someone is grabbing and squeezing in my chest. It feels real tight in my chest. It passes after a few seconds and a couple of burps, but I HATE this feeling!!! Even if I am not drinking and just burp I get the same feeling. Has anyone else experienced this? and how long before it passed?

I haven't been able to take my pain meds because in the first post opp day when I did attempt to swallow them I would immediately get that hot Water in my mouth feeling...you know the one you get right before you throw up?...the pills were spit. I would rather take a beating than throw up! I've been that way all my life..so I am just toughing it out and not taking pain meds.

I want to thank each and everyone of you that helped me along my pre op journey...with out this site I would have been totally lost... :)

I had my sleeve surgery this past Monday the 27th. Everything went off without a hitch. While in the hospital (and on IV pain meds) I was able to do the ice chips like no bodys business! and drank most everything placed in front of me. I also walked with no assistance. There was some discomfort in my chest area. Today is the first day I am going to do my best to stay up. Sitting on sofa, and not in the recliner.

What I would like to ask is did anyone experience this?: when I sip, as soon as it hits my chest area it feels like someone is grabbing and squeezing in my chest. It feels real tight in my chest. It passes after a few seconds and a couple of burps, but I HATE this feeling!!! Even if I am not drinking and just burp I get the same feeling. Has anyone else experienced this? and how long before it passed?

I haven't been able to take my pain meds because in the first post opp day when I did attempt to swallow them I would immediately get that hot Water in my mouth feeling...you know the one you get right before you throw up?...the pills were spit. I would rather take a beating than throw up! I've been that way all my life..so I am just toughing it out and not taking pain meds.

I want to thank each and everyone of you that helped me along my pre op journey...with out this site I would have been totally lost... :)

I had my surgery on the 27th too, and i did not have the chest pain, but I do have gas pain when I swallow. The nurse at the hospital told me to breathe through my nose and out through my mouth when taking pills, it worked. I can now swallow my meds when the gas pains hit. The chest pain, I would report to the doctor. Make sure its not gas pains, sometimes it can mimic like its in the chest. Former CHF survivor.

I had that problem with cold Water my first week post op. I started drinking everything room temperature and I also started taking Nexium and that has been a major plus. I hope I won't have to take it forever but for now it helps me even stomach Water better.

I didn't take the pain meds and I also had trouble swallowing the pills so I just dealt with the pain and soreness.

By the second week you'll see some big differences in the way fluids settle and how much more comfortable you will be. I hated the first week, but I honestly felt so much better by day 7. Others on this website kept telling me I would and I didn't believe them. lol

Good Luck on the rest of your journey! I am glad this website is here...it's been a blessing. :D

I had the same problem. It lasted about 5 weeks. When I would drink something, my chest would spasm. So I learned to drink things warm and just endure the uncomfortableness. My stomach was swollen and cold drinks would make it spasm. Hope this helps. ;)

My surgery was Wed and I experienced the same pain. My doctor suggested to sit up or even stand when drinking. Its helped a lot. Also make sure to take really small sips. The smaller the sips the less pain for me.

I am 11 days post op and I did that for the first like 7 to 8 days! The more warm drinks I consumed the easier it got and now at 11 days post op I can take a normal drink any temperature with no pain.. Also, sitting up straight when I drank made a HUGE difference! I'm just one week ahead of you so if you have any questions hit me up anytime, I can give you a week ahead view lol

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions! It's day 5 post op and swallowing is getting better. I was able to eat some cottage cheese and then some Soup Beans yesterday and I felt soooo much better just being able to eat food again. I don't know what I would do without this site to come to. You all are such a Blessing! :)