Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain On My Left Side

I had my surgery on the 9th of February. Everything went great and I have had no problems other than trying to make sure I get all my Protein in for the day. When I woke up this morning though I had a pain in my left side it was kind of a sharp pain. It reminded me of when you have been running and you get a cramp in your side. Not sure what it is and was curious if anyone else has had any similar pain? I know the body goes through a lot with the surgery and I should expect some pain here and there. Just wanting to make sure it's not something I need to worry about.

I have not been sleeved but just had this happen to me. Mine was located towards the bottom half of my left rib cage. It got worse when I took a deep breath and came in sharp bursts. I went to a doc and it was actually an enlarged spleen. I was put on anti-inflammatory medication. It has been a week and they said it looks much better! They said it was from my recent bike accident. So a collision type injury.

Hope this helps a bit!

I felt that way with my gall bladder, I thought I was having a heat attack..once it was taken out everything as been great.. just mention it to yr doc next apt...

I was sleeved on the 6th and I have the same thing, just started yesterday, It's like a dull constant ache in that same spot on the left upper area of my abdomen in the stomach area. NO other symptoms and no fever...nothing.

Welcome to the first few weeks of VSG. Get familiar with Gas-X strips :) . They pump you full of gas for the surgery and it seems to always go to the left shoulder/side. It will pass, like the gas...

I went through this about the second week. Turned out to be the muscle that they cut through and stitched was just really sore. It didn't start hurting until I started moving around (the second week) and using that muscle more. I started walking on the treadmill and OH SURPRISE it got worse. My doc told me to stop walking, except what I need to to get to places and around the house and coincidentally I had to stop talking pain killers for another reason, but between those two, poof, the pain went away. But if it really hurting you, it can't hurt to follow up with the doc. I was a bit of a hypocondriac after surgery and called my surgeon A LOT....so if you are worried about that...don't be. They want you to follow up with them if anything seems wrong. Since we haven't been through this before, we can't really judge what's normal and what's not. That's what the doc is there for. :) Hope it gets better.

One thing I also thought of is that I have worn jeans for the past two days plus my bowels aren't up to par yet ...so no jeans for a bit longer and I took some MOM. I work as an xray tech so I went and had abdomen xray and I was full of poo and gas... the staples are SOOOO tiny we had to zoom in on it to even see it. Weird! LOL

O ya and where I feel the pain and pressure gas bubble feeling is below where my stomach is by about 3-4" inches... so I'm guessing my stomach is OK I'm just FOS hehe

Thanks for all the advise, it seems that this is quit common. I took joiebeans' advise and called my Doctor. Sure enough he said it looked like I had overdone it and to get some rest. I crack up thinking of all us on our computers being so full of gas. lol but I am glad to say that after a couple days rest I feel alot better. Just need to slow down and take it easy.

I went through this about the second week. Turned out to be the muscle that they cut through and stitched was just really sore. It didn't start hurting until I started moving around (the second week) and using that muscle more. I started walking on the treadmill and OH SURPRISE it got worse. My doc told me to stop walking, except what I need to to get to places and around the house and coincidentally I had to stop talking pain killers for another reason, but between those two, poof, the pain went away. But if it really hurting you, it can't hurt to follow up with the doc. I was a bit of a hypocondriac after surgery and called my surgeon A LOT....so if you are worried about that...don't be. They want you to follow up with them if anything seems wrong. Since we haven't been through this before, we can't really judge what's normal and what's not. That's what the doc is there for. :) Hope it gets better.

Good advise, that's exactly what he said overdone it and get rest.

Welcome to the first few weeks of VSG. Get familiar with Gas-X strips :) . They pump you full of gas for the surgery and it seems to always go to the left shoulder/side. It will pass, like the gas...

Ha-Ha, so true!

I am going thru this pain on the left side now. It started after surgery and ended about a week ago. I jumped for joy. Went about a week without the pain. I took a deep breath yesterday and it was back. So bad it hurt to breathe. Hopefully something will trigger it to go away again. I use a heat patch and when it gets too bad, I will take a prescribed pain pill.

I am going thru this pain on the left side now. It started after surgery and ended about a week ago. I jumped for joy. Went about a week without the pain. I took a deep breath yesterday and it was back. So bad it hurt to breathe. Hopefully something will trigger it to go away again. I use a heat patch and when it gets too bad' date=' I will take a prescribed pain pill.[/quote']

Im dealing with this for 6 days now & omg it's painful! Dont know what to do to get rid of it! Im dying!

I've been dealing with the same thing, just like you described. It's been going on for about 4 days now, and I'm 11 days post-op. The doctor told me that it is instestinal spasmatic episodes that sometimes come with the healing process. It seems like not a lot of people have this but there are enough to make it not alarming. We are the unlucky few, apparently.

My pains were the sharpest the first two days that this started up, but now they are workable. It hurts but not enough to immobilize me like the first couple of days.

My doctor said it should eventually go away, as I continue to heal. :)

I've been dealing with the same thing' date=' just like you described. It's been going on for about 4 days now, and I'm 11 days post-op. The doctor told me that it is instestinal spasmatic episodes that sometimes come with the healing process. It seems like not a lot of people have this but there are enough to make it not alarming. We are the unlucky few, apparently.

My pains were the sharpest the first two days that this started up, but now they are workable. It hurts but not enough to immobilize me like the first couple of days.

My doctor said it should eventually go away, as I continue to heal. :)[/quote']

In ER this Easter morning for my pain...have had every test in the book ct, chest xray, ekg. Blood level that detects clots was elevated...now we wait...