Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What About These Blood Thinners?

I am reading here about people having to take expensive blood thinners (Lovenox) with no less expensive alternative available (really?), both in the hospital and after they get home.

I too had the shots while in the hospital and also the inflating leg things (forget the name) and compression socks.

I understand the mechanics of the blood thinners, and that some people may need them. But, I have NEVER been prone to clots, I was not as overweight as many, and I was up and walking A LOT immediately after surgery. I have had other procedures, as a larger woman, with no treatment for blood clots.

My husband was in the hospital for three days following a major back surgery, and was much less mobile, and never received injected treatment for blood clots (he did have the compression socks and inflatable leg things).

I am just thinking that the pharmaceutical industry is making a killing off weight loss surgery patients? Or is there something about this surgery that specifically increases the chances of a clot?

I'd really like to know! Anyone in healthcare know?

I am curious about the cost....I just ordered my Lovenox (sp) shots and all I had to pay is $5...I am wondering if I should be expecting another bill. just add another bill to the pile at this point :wink1:

Amanda, that is a good question that I am also eager to find out. I too have had another major surgery and was never prescribe blood thinner injection. I was wonder what the difference regarding blood thinner for VSG vs.TAH. That surgery was more involved and healing time was more intense.

Clots can kill you. I'm willing to take a few $5 shots to minimize that risk.

I had three blood thinner shots while in the hospital, and I HATE shots...but given the risks, I was happy to get them.

Yeah, I totally understand the reasoning, but I still would like to know why in some cases blood thinner is prescribe but with other major surgeries it is not. A TAH is a very involved surgeries that is not done laparoscopic. That they generally do not prescribe blood thinner.

I really don't mind the cost especially if it is only $5.

Clots can kill you. I'm willing to take a few $5 shots to minimize that risk.

I had three blood thinner shots while in the hospital, and I HATE shots...but given the risks, I was happy to get them.

Some people on this board are reporting that they are having to pay $400 out of pocket for the Lovenox, and they are having to inject themselves at home. They are not being given less expensive alternatives.

I don't just care about the cost to the patient, though. There are side effects with this drug, and I am simply not a fan of mindless medicine, or medicine dictated by big business.

Blood clots kill, we all know that. But do they kill more with this particular surgery, or are we just getting these "because"?

Anyone know? I can ask my surgeon, but my next visit is three months out and I don't think this warrants a phone call. There are people on here who work in WLS offices, can anyone "weigh in"?

Wondering if you have already had your gastric surgery already or when you are having surgery? Also what medical conditions do you have other than being over weight? Have you ever had a blood clot in the past or any cardiac or heart problems? Also did your surgeon tell you that he wants you on blood thinners after your surgery? Also which surgery are you having? Also would you share your weight and height? Sorry for all the questions but just want to know more before giving you any direction.

Wondering if you have already had your gastric surgery already or when you are having surgery? Also what medical conditions do you have other than being over weight? Have you ever had a blood clot in the past or any cardiac or heart problems? Also did your surgeon tell you that he wants you on blood thinners after your surgery? Also which surgery are you having? Also would you share your weight and height? Sorry for all the questions but just want to know more before giving you any direction.

Are these questions directed to me?

Yes, I already had my VSG in December. My BMI and weight history are in my ticker in my sig. My surgery weight was 207.

I had no comorbidities. I have lowish blood pressure and am pretty active. No diabetes, no nothing. I was up and walking within hours, and walked a lot. The blood thinners were never discussed, the nurses just marched in and gave them to me regularly. It seemed that it was just a routine thing.

I should have asked at the time but didn't. Only after reading of the trials of others on this board did I start to wonder why the big push for blood thinners for this surgery, and not for others.

Well, my Drs. ofc does require every patient to take the Lovenox injections at home for 14 days as a precautionary measure and I'm ok with that, because I would rather be safe than dead from a blood clot. The Lovenox injections are not expensive if you have insurance iguess depending on your insurance and how much they cover (don't know how much they are without) I paid $20 for the brand name 14 day supply 2 injections a day and would have been able to get the generic for $10. I don't find this to be mindless medicine when there is always a possibility that anything just might happen.

I had my surgery in Mexico on Dec 11. I had a band to sleeve revision and was not put on any type of blood thinners. I had hypertension, sleep apnea and borderline diabetes. I was required to wear compression hose while in the hospital but was not given any blood thinners post or during. I thought that maybe you had a cardiac history as a lot of those patient are given blood thinners. I guess that I would speak to your surgeon and ask him about the blood thinners that he has prescribed for you. Wondering how many others who have had surgery have been put on blood thinners and how many were not.

Well, my Drs. ofc does require every patient to take the Lovenox injections at home for 14 days as a precautionary measure and I'm ok with that, because I would rather be safe than dead from a blood clot. The Lovenox injections are not expensive if you have insurance iguess depending on your insurance and how much they cover (don't know how much they are without) I paid $20 for the brand name 14 day supply 2 injections a day and would have been able to get the generic for $10. I don't find this to be mindless medicine when there is always a possibility that anything just might happen.

Anything might happen, but in that case there are many, many more precautionary drugs that you could be given.

I am not saying Lovenox is bad, or that those patients predisposed to clots shouldn't take the shots.

Would you be good with taking injections every day for 14 days if it meant someone else got perks from a drug company? That does happen.

I question things like this. Not everyone has to. I took the shots as well, without thought. I came home looking like a pincushion.

I had my surgery in Mexico on Dec 11. I had a band to sleeve revision and was not put on any type of blood thinners. I had hypertension, sleep apnea and borderline diabetes. I was required to wear compression hose while in the hospital but was not given any blood thinners post or during. I thought that maybe you had a cardiac history as a lot of those patient are given blood thinners. I guess that I would speak to your surgeon and ask him about the blood thinners that he has prescribed for you. Wondering how many others who have had surgery have been put on blood thinners and how many were not.

I am going to ask him out of curiosity on my next visit, three months from now. I am a curious person and I like to understand the logic behind these things.

My surgeon never disscussed the blood thinners at all. I didn't have any after leaving the hospital. It seemed to be something that was done as a routine thing rather than with any thought behind it.

Common side effect of Lovenox include bleeding, anemia, diarrhea, and nausea, which is good to know but was not mentioned to me.

It's my personal opinion, I don't care if the Dr. or whoever gets perks or not (not trying to be a smart a**) as long as I can see that this just might me in the best interest of me. I have never had any type of surgery prior to this, so how do I know if I am prone to blood clots or not. I appreciate the precautionary measures made for me.

It is great that they are taking precautionary measures and to ensure a great outcome for every patient. But the question still remains is blood thinner prescribed in a case by case or is it just prescribed to everyone because of marketing and funding. That is the question. Especially since it is not prescribe in every in surgery.

Ok, I google to see if there was something out there that would explain the reason why they prescribe blood thinner with VSG.

The following is what I found:

The formation of blood clots is rare, but it is one of the potential gastric sleeve surgery risks, however it occurs in less than 1% of the gastric sleeve patients. A blood clot posses a big risk for the obese patients who are undergoing this type of bariatric surgery. A blood clot that breaks into the blood stream can be very life threatening or even fatal. That is why a blood thinner will be prescribed before the surgery and specially designed leg fittings are frequently used during the surgery. Early ambulation is also advised. To avoid blood clots from forming, it is a good idea to get out of bed and walk around a few times a day to keep the blood circulating properly, and avoid this as it is one of the more serious gastric sleeve surgery risks.