Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery To Remove My Gallbladder. :(

So, I found out yesterday I have to have my gallbladder removed. Can someone tell me the in's and out's of it?

How much time off work and what the recovery is? I watched a youtube video and it seems similar to the VSG so should I expect the same recovery time?

Any info would be helpful. I go to schedule my appointment to have it done on January 23.

I had mine out over Thanksgiving week, and I would give yourself a couple days to rest, but I didn't feel much pain, just tired from the pain meds. mostly. It is a pretty easy surgery. Best of luck.

It depends on what you do - my sister had hers removed and returned to work the next day, but she didn't have to lift anything (can't lift more than 10 lbs)

I have a great job as and Administrative Assistant and my doctor does surgery on Thursdays so I'm hoping I can be back to work that following Monday. ;)

hi julie

a couple of years ago i had my gallbladder out. i stayed out of work over a long weekend. I have a sit down job with a computer.

it was a very easy procedure for me. I really didn't have much pain that i can remember. It was a piece of cake :tongue2:

take care - don't worry about it - can't even compare to VSG , gall bladder very easy.

kathy

:rolleyes:

Thanks! What was the difference in your health (as far as feeling better) after the surgery? I have a lot of back pain and shoulder pain now. Does that go away? Also, they said they counted of 30 stones.... can they still do it laparoscopic (sp) or will they have to cut me? I'm also writing all this down to ask the doctor.lol

Healing energy going your way! You will have a quick recovery. ;)

I had more than 100 stones and mine was done laparascopically--the stones are tiny, like grains of sand or little pieces of gravel. I felt awful the first 36 hours and then bounced back by a week later. I think it took me longer to improve because i'm 57.

Within less than a week I was feeling 100% again! And I had a 3 month old baby at home to take care of along with a five year old. The first night sucked, but after that I was ok.

I am not sleeved yet, so when I had my gallbladder out (emergency surgery) I had a lot of trouble relearning how to eat so that I wouldn't have to deal with horrible painf afterward. That's gotten much better now that I'm on my pre-sleeve diet!

Will I have to relearn to eat again? There is pain after it out too?

julie, is your back pain associated to the gall stones? just wondering cuz i've been having symptoms of the pain under the ribs after eating and some back aches too..... gallstones run in the family, so im not surprised i have them, but i couldn't figure out why my back is so achy.

Yep! And it can also radiate into the neck and shoulders. You might want to have that checked out. Those were my symptoms to the letter.

Will I have to relearn to eat again? There is pain after it out too?

I think that because you are already sleeved you probably won't have much trouble! But I went from eating whatever I wanted to all of a sudden not having a gallbladder and I would have EXTREME intestinal reactions to foods that I could eat before without a single problem. Anything high in fat (pizza, fried ANYTHING, heavy cream like Alfredo) immediately makes me dizzy, cold sweats, you name it. It's HORRIBLE. I didn't eat out for the first year or so after having it removed. I think it would have been a different experience altogether had I already been sleeved!