Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Problems Finding Foods I Like Post Op 1 Month

Im one month post op & can eat soft n moist food...but im wondering if anyone has the same problems as me..my tastebuds change everything I liked to eat before I dont care for anymore..i am having hard time with meat..i just dont like it now.. N when I do eat I only can handle 2~3 teaspoons of food ..basically all food has a weird taste to me..so weird that I am hardly eatting...any suggestions..

YOU MUST EAT. Force it down if you need to, start with the protien shakes again if you must, just eat.

You are experiencing a fairly common side effect. It may be permanent. Just keep trying foods. I was told after 3-4 times, alot of food is OK again.

I too have gone through this. chicken and eggs were pre-surgery favorites of mine. I can't handle either of them now no matter how they care prepared. Try experimenting with things you didn't enjoy before. I've found myself loving fish! I didn't not like fish before, but I'm now craving it. Shell fish too! Mmmm!

Hummmmm, I found myself eating vegetables now. Never could before. ;)

I too am 1 month out and going thru the same thing. Nothing tastes good. And like you when I eat I can only take in 2-3 teaspoons, than I am so full I can not drink the 1/2 later because I get horrible relux. I sure hope this gets better. Dr. says it will. I had a good crying session last night because of the frustration. URR!!!

Laura

It does get better. I loved all things dairy before surgery and couldn't do any milk or cottage cheese afterwards. I recently tried a little milk in Cereal and it works. I also don't like green tea since surgery and I HATE most of the Protein shakes because they are so sweet to me.

Unfortunately, my sweet tooth is coming back. I need to exorcise that demon in a hurry!!!

I can't eat most meat or chicken now, either. Beans are my friend. Try Greek yogurt for great Protein. I also really liked soups--try some Soup that you zap in the blender (it will eliminate the chunks of chicken or whatever in there)--favs for me included broccoli/cheese, chicken/veggie, and lemon/chicken/orzo, all zapped to smooth texture. You might also get some hot and sour Soup at a Chinese restaurant and add extra tofu for more protein...

Don't worry about eating small amounts. That's normal at first. Your capacity will increase as your sleeve heals. Hang in there!

Hell fellow sleevers

I have been afraid of post-op since before surgery. I am afraid i will love food just as much as before the surgery, and i am afraid how i will not really be limited on my food.< /span> I have already convinced myself i can't and won't eat sweets which has always been my weakness. i'm just very afraid of what comes next. My surgery was 12/15/11 - i'm still on my Protein shake diet til i see the NUT.

Please reassure me that my worries are over nothing. BTW - no pre-op total loss 13 lbs.

i need this sleeve to work - i know it can only help me, and i'm responsible for myself, but i'm still very scared.

thanx

Kathy

i'm laughing so hard, i meant to say "hello" not "hell" above oooops kathy

Thank you all for responding..i am so glad I am not the only one going thru this...i will try all your suggestions...i just get so disappointment when I go to eat and hate the taste..i just want something that I can eat that I actually like the taste...hopefully it gets easier..im never hungry but I know I have to eat..n when I do eat my stomach growls back at me...im starting to think my stomach is really upset with me...lol

i didnt post my weight before so here it is..

I lost 36 pounds before post op....post op was 302 ..surgury Dec 1,2011...n as of date I am 270..

I really like tofu. It is great because tofu takes on whatever flavor you are cooking it with...try this

Cubed extra firm tofu (already cubed is a great convenience)

a couple of turns of evoo in a skillet, saute the tofu, a couple of turns of soy sauce, a little chopped green onion, some chopped cilantro and a little of the canned diced tomatoes with juice...let it simmer and saute. SO GOOD!! That's what's for dinner tonight. I am getting bored with what I feel like are a lack of options. Try to get creative with seasonings. I have found that I don't like anything too sweet anymore, and neither does "Sleevie Wonder" (That's what I named her!happy.png ). Good luck .

Kathy it will work...im happy with my sleeve..when I was on liquids all I wanted was to chew food...now that I can chew I really dont care to eat...i used to love food...i was a big Pasta eatter.now I eat cause I have to not cause I want to...food doesnt phase me like before...hang in there n give it achance..i just hope u still have ur tastebuds n can enjoy what u r eatting...

I ate low fat ham lunchmeat from costco, Greek Yogurt mixed with splenda to sweeten it, Anderson Split Pea Soup, and Protein drinks mixed with soy milk or the unjury chicken Protein. It took awhile for things to taste good and go down well again. I could only eat one ounce of protein for a while. It took time to get to two ounces and now I can usually fit three ounces, but not always.

Be sure to get your liquids in and eat protein first!

It's a process, but well worth it if you ask me! At 7 months out from surgery, I'm just 9 teeny pounds from my personal goal of 135, which will put me at a BMI of 21.8. I'm small boned and prefer a long, lean look so I went for a lower BMI.

Lynda

Yes I had a tough time also. EVERYTHING tasted different for me. Eventually it all returned back to normal for me, and I hope it does for you too :)

As the holidays are here, I have been faced with the sweets-pie, cake, Cookies. I don't crave them now nor do I really "feel like" eating them. I did try a very small sliver of sweet potato pie, but, it just didn't taste right. Sweets don't taste sweet. So I don't eat them. I guess in time my tastebuds will change, but, I don't miss nor want sweets now.