Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Strong Adversion To Protein Supplement

So, here I am 6-days post-op and I hate (yes that's the only term I can use) the shakes and powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored powder. I've tried any combination of mixtures with the supposed unflavored powder....NOTHING taste good. I have to force myself to drink it.

At this point, I have added 2-cups of skim milk to get the fuilds and the much needed Protein in. I do at least 1-scoop of the Unjury with a 1-cup of stock and then a Protein shake but only 1/2 of one which puts my protein just at 55 grams a day.

The downside, the 2-cups of skim milk add carbs to the intake....not so happy with that.

Any thoughts or feedback on a better protein supplement?

Just remember that this is temporary. Can you make yourself drink them until you can start adding mushies? If not, then you're just like me. I drank lots of broth and my son kept making me Protein shakes with SF syrups to help mask the Protein Powder flavor.

FYI, Kellogg's makes a Protein Water that has 5 grams of protein per serving. Your local Walmart should carry them. It's better than nothing.

What kind of Protein prefer are you using? I've tried a couple that were gross, but my dietician rcommended nectar brand. The Nectar chocolate truffle is really good and mixes with Water easily.

Isopure PLUS is 15 grams of Protein in 8 oz of liquid. I liked both the grape and punch flavors. It is different than the Isopure you can find in the stores. I ordered it online from Amazon.com. The flavors taste like crystal lite - not bad at all.

Try not to use the Protein Shots. The Protein is not high quality and not as good for you as whey isolate Proteins. Also, your body can't absorb 46 grams of protein at once - only 20-30. If you have to use them, use half at once.

I also use the nectar powdered protein. I like the vanilla, chocolate truffle and fuzzy navel.

I drink Protein Powder drinks from Nutek. They taste really good and have 32gms of Protein (whey isolate). I like the vanilla creme and sometimes I will add some banana and frozen fruit to a smoothie consistency... Yum yum.

I need suggestions for this too. I can not stand the smell or taste of the nectar Fuzzy Navel. I am on Clear Liquids and my surgeon told me not to worry about my Protein too much (5 days post op) and just worry about my liquid intake. I'm thinking once I get on full liquids I can try the chocolate Atkins drinks which I like pre-op.

The downside, the 2-cups of skim milk add carbs to the intake....not so happy with that.

My surgeon and NUT actually encourages 2 cups of skim milk a day. Striving to reach your Fluid and Protein goals will automatically take care of carbs and calories.

I second the recommendation of Isopure PLUS. I buy them at GNC. They are not milky. They taste and have the consistency of juice. I hated the "blue" flavor. The Alpine Punch was good. It eventually tasted too tart for me, but it took weeks for that to happen. Buy a bottle or two and give them a try. Good luck!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try my chances with the Isopure Plus....maybe get my hubby to go to GNC with me later.

Thanks again!

I'm SOOO happy to report, the Isopure did it for me! YEAH!!!

My nutritionist has me mix my Protein shakes with 1% milk. I don't think I could manage to drink them if I was mixing it with Water. Yes- the milk adds some fats and carbs (which our bodies need anyway) but the milk also adds some more Protein as well.

Bottoms up! lol

Glad you found something that worked! When I was still doing Protein powder, the only thing I could tolerate was either the Syntrax nectar unflavored or the GNC unflavored, mixed with Decaf coffee and milk (and a little splenda or nonfat vanilla coffeemate). It still wasn't great but I could choke it down.

Luckily I'm getting all my Protein from food now and have bid farewell to the protein powder!! :)

I am having the same problem. Oddly, I liked Isopure pre-op and of course, being a dummy, bought two cases. Now, post op, I can barely stand it, and have two cases of it. :( I DID NOT like nectar pre-op, and so didn't buy any, and tried fuzzy navel and Roadside Lemonade stand today, and liked those, so picked up a fuzzy navel today.

I am still on Clear liquids, can start full liquids on Wednesday and will be thrilled to start using milk, greek yogurt, regular yogurt, etc to help augment the Protein.

A note on the Protein bullets. I also bought a case of those and my nutritionist in the hospital told me not to use them . She said, a while back everyone though they were the perfect thing, but the kind of protein they have will not be well-absorbed by the body unless the body is also taking in some kind of animal based protein (I hope I am remembering that right) and she also said what a prior poster said, that the body can only handle so much protein at a time.

So now I have almost 2 cases of isopure and a box of New whey that i wish I could return :( Boo!