Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WASA Crisp Breads (Reccomended !!! LOW CARBS!!!!)

I recently found Wasa Crispbreads (www.wasa-usa.com) They are AWESOME!

I can totally make myself a sandwich now without getting ill because of bread swelling in my tummy! It's FABULOUS!!

I have a box of Crisp and Light variety. Serving size is 3 breads but for a sandiwhich I only use 2. 40 calories, 0 Fat, 8 Carbs. and about 1.3 grams of Protein. Tonight's sandwich was cream cheese, home made zucchini relish (zucchini, red peppers, onion, cider vinegar, sugar, mustard powder and tumeric) and some sliced deli turkey. Delish and a total of about 200 calories. 14 carbs, 20 grams of fat (all from the cream cheese LOL!) and 12 grams of Protein.

I know some won't be happy with the final carb count for this meal but when you're craving a sandwhich this crispbread will hit the spot!

I use just a single piece with Peanut Butter and either a little bit of jelly or honey. We prefer the 7 grain crisp n light. We have also just found at the local grocery store, the sandwich thins as minis-the size of a slider. Just one is only 50 calories and 11 g of carb.

I love Wasa! I always carry a couple of pieces of the light rye (my favorite) and a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese in my bag in case I'm out when it's time to eat something. it's great with tuna salad or egg salad too.

I recently found Wasa Crispbreads (www.wasa-usa.com) They are AWESOME!

I can totally make myself a sandwich now without getting ill because of bread swelling in my tummy! It's FABULOUS!!

I have a box of Crisp and Light variety. Serving size is 3 breads but for a sandiwhich I only use 2. 40 calories, 0 Fat, 8 Carbs. and about 1.3 grams of Protein. Tonight's sandwich was cream cheese, home made zucchini relish (zucchini, red peppers, onion, cider vinegar, sugar, mustard powder and tumeric) and some sliced deli turkey. Delish and a total of about 200 calories. 14 carbs, 20 grams of fat (all from the cream cheese LOL!) and 12 grams of Protein.

I know some won't be happy with the final carb count for this meal but when you're craving a sandwhich this crispbread will hit the spot!

I'll have to get some of these, thanks for the suggestion!

Would you pleeease post the recipe for your zucchini relish? That sounds amazing!

Thanks!

I love Wasa bread, too, especially with cream cheese--you can also make a pretty tasty broiler melted cheese on it--or use it like a Pizza Crust under the broiler for all sorts of yummy toppings. It's a very versatile cracker.

I'll have to get some of these, thanks for the suggestion!

Would you pleeease post the recipe for your zucchini relish? That sounds amazing!

Thanks!

Yes, please post the recipe!

Zucchini Relish is a canning recipe...super simple but it's A LOT of it. Perhaps you can cut it down LOL.

10 cups shredded zucchini (2 zepplin sized should work...or 3-4 mediums)

4 red bell peppers chopped (I used a mix of red and green)

3 onions chopped

5 TB Salt.

Mix these up and put in the fridge overnight. In the morning rinse and drain well.

In a stock pot combine.

1 quart Cider Vinegar

3 Cups Sugar (be careful if you use sugar substitutes some don't hold up too well to heat)

1TB Tumeric

1 TB Mustard powder

1TB Celery Seed (optional)

1TB Red Pepper Flakes (Optional!!!)

Add veg to the stock pot and stir together. Bring to a boil and then allow to simmer for 30 mintues. Makes approx. a dozen pints of relish...I rec. doing 1/2 pints and giving them as Christmas Gifts biggrin.gif

Zucchini Relish is a canning recipe...super simple but it's A LOT of it. Perhaps you can cut it down LOL.

10 cups shredded zucchini (2 zepplin sized should work...or 3-4 mediums)

4 red bell peppers chopped (I used a mix of red and green)

3 onions chopped

5 TB Salt.

Mix these up and put in the fridge overnight. In the morning rinse and drain well.

In a stock pot combine.

1 quart Cider Vinegar

3 Cups Sugar (be careful if you use sugar substitutes some don't hold up too well to heat)

1TB Tumeric

1 TB Mustard Powder

1TB Celery Seed (optional)

1TB Red Pepper Flakes (Optional!!!)

Add veg to the stock pot and stir together. Bring to a boil and then allow to simmer for 30 mintues. Makes approx. a dozen pints of relish...I rec. doing 1/2 pints and giving them as Christmas Gifts biggrin.gif

I bought all of the ingredients and I'm excited to make this over the weekend! I have 2 questions though:

1) Can balsamic vinegar be substituted for the cider vinegar?

2) You mentioned that this is a canning recipe...I have never canned anything before, how do I do it exactly? Is there a special process or do you just pour it in the mason jars and be done with it?

Thanks!

I agree - the WASA crispbread crackers are great! Love them with cheese (cheddar, melted) or laughing cow. I also eat them with tuna salad or chicken salad.

I bought all of the ingredients and I'm excited to make this over the weekend! I have 2 questions though:

1) Can balsamic vinegar be substituted for the cider vinegar?

2) You mentioned that this is a canning recipe...I have never canned anything before, how do I do it exactly? Is there a special process or do you just pour it in the mason jars and be done with it?

Thanks!

1. NO Balsamic vinegar cannot be used in place of cider vinegar. Balsamic is not acidic enough to preserve the vegetables.

2. This is a very simple canning recipe. Here are the steps I use.

1. Sterilize 1/2 or 1 pint jars in boiling Water or by running them through your dishwasher if it has a sterilize option...keep the jars hot!

2. Put the lids (not the rings but the flat lids) in a small pot and bring to a simmer.

3. Take a hot jar and a clean jar funnel (you can find them with the canning supplies...usually in the cook ware department. fill the jar up leaving about 1/2 inch of space at the top. Wipe the rim and threads of the jar with a damp cloth and then take one of the hot lids (get out the simmering Water using either tongs or a magnet) place it on the jar and then secure it with a ring...finger tight. Invert the jar for about 10-20 minutes. Then turn it right side up. The lids will pop, test the seals by pushing the buttons on the lids. if they move they aren't sealed it may take up to 24 hours for the jars to seal. Any that don't seal store in the fridge and use within a couple of weeks.

I make this relish as well!!!!! Its YUMMO!biggrin.gif

Thank you for the WASA suggestion. I haven't been able to tolerate bread of any kind since surgery. Sounds like you find this in the cracker aisle?

Thank you for the WASA suggestion. I haven't been able to tolerate bread of any kind since surgery. Sounds like you find this in the cracker aisle?

yes in the cracker aisle. Where the "specialty" crackers are Breton, Water Crackers, Etc.

Thanks for the tip on the Wasa! Sounds good for tuna melts too!

Can you have these on soft food stage? I saw whole grain crackers on that list.