Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How VSG changed your tastes!

I kept reading that it was a possibility, but until now at 8 months I had not thought of anything that changed. Then it hit me, I have been avoiding the Chinese restaurant my husband loves to go to. I just absolutely can not bring myself to go there. There is not one thing on the menu I can think of I would want to eat. I used LOVE sweet and sour, egg rolls and Mushu. Now when I think of those foods I simply go EWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Please let me know what others can't stand now!

For me, it's fast food. I used to eat fast food every single day - sometimes multiple times a day. Now just the thought of it turns me off.

I hear ya! There very thought of the golden arches makes me start gagging!

:sick:

Well so far... Nothing has changed except.... One of my boys had fried fish for dinner last night. It smelled so good, but I also realized I didn't want to eat it. It was a weird feeling...I wanted it but equally I didn't want it. Well I always said I could hold 2 opposing opinions in my mind at the same time and not think it illogical. Maybe this is the beginning of the change of my relationship with food.< /p>

Khy

For me it hasn't been what I don't want to eat, but instead what I now crave. I used to hate seafood, but now I can't get enough fish. This is so very weird for me since I still don't care for the taste.

Anything being fried, the smell makes me gag!!!!! So that has cured my desire for fried foods. (LOL) As for taste that would be sf pudding. It seems the salt that is replacing the sugar is so over powering I can't even eat a spoonful. I have switched to sf Jello. No issues there.

:)

Deb

I used to adore milk chocolate and I find it sickeningly sweet now. In the same vein, I thought dark chocolate was horrid pre-surgery but I absolutely love it now. I also love iced coffee now and rarely had it before. I can't stand tortillas anymore... it just feels like a giant mass of dough in my mouth. I also really don't care for pork anymore. It just seems really rich now. I now love greek yogurt, chicken wings, and eggs; all of which I rarely ate in my old life. I'm sure there is other stuff but I can't think of it right now. :)

Amanda

I thought for a long, long time that surgery didn't change my tastes at all, and for the most part, it didn't. I still like the things I liked before, although naturally some things are just difficult to have much of, or really make me feel gross afterwards.

What I have found is that there are things I used to hate and/or avoid, that I love now! I can drink red wine if it's sweet enough, I'm liking spicier foods, and all of a sudden I absolutely ADORE bleu cheese.

For me bread is blah I use to love bread but now I just don't care for it.

For me it is portion size. I can have a bite of anything and be quite satisfied with just that. I usually crave Breakfast now because, to me, it involves the most protein: eggs and meat. When I look at Breakfast portions in some of my past favorite places: Original pancake House for example... it makes me sick to know that I could once eat that much.

WOW

Guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't think my tastes have changed at all!

The only thing I can think of is that I get "overexposed" on food faster. Example: I don't like to eat eggs often, because several years ago I ate a ton of them on a long low-carb diet. I ate wayyy too many, and now just the thought of eggs can turn my stomach. (That, and tilapia and orange ruffy. GROSS!)

Post-op, I got "overexposed" on tuna and cheese (mmm tuna melt!) for Breakfast in just a few weeks.

It took me months to feel that way about eggs.

Weird, huh?

Just the opposite for me. I used to LOVE shrimp and salmon and most seafood but I can't stand it now, which sucks because it's such good Protein. All I can taste is a fishy taste now and it makes me gag. Darn!!

For me it hasn't been what I don't want to eat, but instead what I now crave. I used to hate seafood, but now I can't get enough fish. This is so very weird for me since I still don't care for the taste.

At first I couldn't stand sweet. Now its ok. What I cant stand now, which I liked before is skins on veggies and fruit... texture. If something is kind of tough and fibrous, I just have to spit it out.

I was a potato chip addict. Basically I craved greasy,salty and crunchy food. Now I am much more sensitive to salt and something salty turns my stomach. chips don't even sound good and that is incredible to me when I used to be able to polish them off a full bag at a time. I used to rarely eat yogurt and now I crave it. I like my new taste buds!

bread and potatoes.. They almost have no taste now and are definitly not satisfying anymore. i can do flavored up potatoes and crunchy bread like croutons but if its just bread (even sweet rolls) I just feel like I am filling my sleeve with lard or something else gross...