Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am thinking about flying across the country about 12 days after my surgery.

My surgeon advises no flying for 8 weeks because of the lack of mobility and the pressure. I do believe him but I am willing to take my chances. I have to get to my children and back home. Are there any of you sleevers out there who traveled after having this??????? What about the people who fly to Mexico for surgery and come back??

I was wondering about this myself! I am going to Mexico for my sleeve and I wonder about the comfort level on the flight as well as the fact that you are basically stationary for several hours which could encourage blood clots. I hope someone answers as I would like to hear the answer as well.

I would suggest if you are needing to fly that you drink plenty of Water on the plane and if you can get up every hour and move around to keep your blood flowing.

I flew back from Mexico my flight was about 3 hours. I think there are others whom have had longer flights. Just make sure to keep moving.

I was wondering about this myself! I am going to Mexico for my sleeve and I wonder about the comfort level on the flight as well as the fact that you are basically stationary for several hours which could encourage blood clots. I hope someone answers as I would like to hear the answer as well.

I don't know how long your flight is or will be. Mine was roughly 2 1/2 hours and I purchased an extra seat (which I got refunded after-the-fact because the flight was not full).

I also didn't fly into Mexico, my surgery was in Tijuana and I flew into San Diego; we didn't need passports. Govt. issued ID (drivers license) and certified copy of my birth certificate. I know it's different if you 'fly' across the border.

Just thought I'd mention it. I have a detailed commentary of my entire trip posted under the "Tell you story" Forum.

Maybe Bxmamma, you could do stops? It would take longer, but at least you could get up and walk at about a half-way point.

Good luck,

Susan

I flew from San Diego to Las Vegas 3 days after surgery (might as well recover somewhere interesting), then a week after that, so 10 days after my op, I flew from Las Vegas back to London - a 9 hour flight. I flew club so I got plenty of room in the 9 hour flight although the 45 mins from San Diego to Las Vegas was economy.

I wore flight socks every day for 2 weeks post op and I had anti-coagulant injections for 4 weeks after surgery. Maybe you need to have the injections I did. I have many ops and this is the only one I've had to use anti-coagulants after being discharged, but this is also the only op I flew so close to being discharged.

I don't know how long your flight is or will be. Mine was roughly 2 1/2 hours and I purchased an extra seat (which I got refunded after-the-fact because the flight was not full).

I also didn't fly into Mexico, my surgery was in Tijuana and I flew into San Diego; we didn't need passports. Govt. issued ID (drivers license) and certified copy of my birth certificate. I know it's different if you 'fly' across the border.

Just thought I'd mention it. I have a detailed commentary of my entire trip posted under the "Tell you story" Forum.

Maybe Bxmamma, you could do stops? It would take longer, but at least you could get up and walk at about a half-way point.

Good luck,

Susan

I don't know about the topic starter, but for me the flight will be 5-6 hours w/ about an hours layover. Having flown b4 I know 1 hour is not as long as it seems. It can sometimes take that long to take a potty break and get to the next terminal. I worry I won't be able to walk quick enough and have to stay in a wheel chair (which we will have post-op so that I can be one of the first ones to board so I am not getting knocked around by other passengers while I try to find a seat) and I won't really be able to walk during that time. I am not sure how you can get up and walk around in-flight though. They don't leave a ton of room and its a nightmare just trying to get to the bathroom!

I didn't have wheelchair assistance but I was flying with someone. If you're traveling alone then, wheelchair assistance is a good idea as they can help with your bags, which I didn't have to deal with.

I was OK with walking as they really do recommend you walk as much as you can post op. I actually got blisters in Vegas from walking so much - I wasn't wearing new shoes or anything like that, it was just down to the amount you walk in Vegas.

I don't know about the topic starter, but for me the flight will be 5-6 hours w/ about an hours layover. Having flown b4 I know 1 hurs is longer than it seems. It can sometimes ake that long to take a potty break and get to the next terminal. I worry I won't be able to walk quick enough and have to stay in a wheel chair (which we will have post-op so that I can be one of the first ones to board so I am not getting knocked around by other passengers while I try to find a seat) and I won't really be able to walk during that time. I am not sure how you can get up and walk around in-flight though. They don't leave a ton of room and its a nightmare just trying to get to the bathroom!

I flew from San Diego to Las Vegas 3 days after surgery (might as well recover somewhere interesting), then a week after that, so 10 days after my op, I flew from Las Vegas back to London - a 9 hour flight. I flew club so I got plenty of room in the 9 hour flight although the 45 mins from San Diego to Las Vegas was economy.

I wore flight socks every day for 2 weeks post op and I had anti-coagulant injections for 4 weeks after surgery. Maybe you need to have the injections I did. I have many ops and this is the only one I've had to use anti-coagulants after being discharged, but this is also the only op I flew so close to being discharged.

Did you get that from your surgeon? If so, does anyone know if Aceves does that for his patients with longer flights? I just looked it up and I was wrong in my last post, travel time will be a minimum of 6.5 hours and that's a long time to be sitting still just days post-op... What are flight socks?? Off to look them up...

Flight socks are like the compression stockings you get in hospital, but I found the stockings really painful - if I got a slight crease in them they'd cut off the blood and that part would remain sore and red!! Kinda the opposite of what they're meant to be doing.

Examples of flight socks are here http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=flight+socks&x=0&y=0

Dr Lopez prescribed me the anti-coagulants. I spent something like $300 on the Nexium (antacid), anti-coagulant injections and Supradol painkillers. I wasn't expecting it to be that much so maybe you can get it from your PCP before you go. Dr Lopez prescribed me about a month's worth of everything.

Did you get that from your surgeon? If so, does anyone know if Aceves does that for his patients with longer flights? I just looked it up and I was wrong in my last post, travel time will be a minimum of 6.5 hours and that's a long time to be sitting still just days post-op... What are flight socks?? Off to look them up...

My DR mainly works on out of state patients because he is less expensive. Better alternative to Mexico in my opinion. I have to stay in town for a week to do my week follow up with him and then be cleared to fly home. My PCP can take care of me after that, unless anything comes up that he wants me to come back for. His program is 2 years so they monitor you via online groups and email. I purchased a straight through flight back to Tampa from Detroit and I have someone flying with me.

Dr. Aceves does not give anticoagulants after surgery. I have had a blood clot in the past and he didn't even give me any. When I had the clot, I had to give myself Lovenox shots twice a day for 6 months. Ouch!

My flight was about 5 1/2 hours total and I never got up because it was packed like a sardine can and it was not convenient at all. I have always been told that if you could not get up and move around, that you should just pump your ankles up and down. Like hold you your legs straight out in front of you (as much as you can in those cramped seats) and point your toes straight up and then point them straight forward. Just do that as much as you can if you can't get up. It will circulate your blood.

Good luck!smile.gif

I flew home from Mexico 3 days after surgery and I did fine. I purposely did not fly nonstop so my flight would have a break for a little walking to stretch my legs and help prevent bloodclots. I still had on my hospital band cuz I flew the day after being released, so when they do the first children and ppl needing assistance boarding, I went ahead and boarded to help prevent people from bumping me and having a little more time with getting my bag in an overhead compartment. I did not lift it, my sis was with me and did it for me. I also made a couple trips to the bathroom on the plane as well.

:)

My DR mainly works on out of state patients because he is less expensive. Better alternative to Mexico in my opinion. I have to stay in town for a week to do my week follow up with him and then be cleared to fly home. My PCP can take care of me after that, unless anything comes up that he wants me to come back for. His program is 2 years so they monitor you via online groups and email. I purchased a straight through flight back to Tampa from Detroit and I have someone flying with me.

Yes, I spoke with him. I will not be choosing him however. I don't know what your experience with him has been (considering you plan to go to him I imagine it was much better than mine), but with me he was very rude. He tried to cut me down almost immediately for asking "very specific" questions via e-mail and not "trust that I know what I am doing". Then he proceeded to flat out call me a liar when he asked if I count calories and I said yes and told him my average. He said you can't violate the laws of this and that. He completely rubbed me the wrong way. So unless something major happens I think I will stick with Aceves :) Good luck, I truly hope he was just having a bad bad when I talked to him.

Hi-

as Nice as losing weight is, and I know you are feeling Great...

One should not fly... take a plane, car or bus...

the stress on your arms would be tremendous.. just saying, at least mine would...

laugh.gif

stockings... those wonderful things... yes you need to make sure they fit right and absolutely no creases... using rubber gloves with fingerprints (dish gloves) smooth them babbys out, before

and if you have to after an hour pull them up and make sure they are smooth again...

(I know- been wearing 40mg. for 12 years :(

I tossed all mine out, they didn't fit after surgery, I will not wear them again!

I flew from AZ to Charleston, SC on day 11. I told the stewardess that I needed to get up frequently and she was very supportive. I wore loose clothing and walked down the aisle every 45 min to lessen the risk of blood clots. Please talk to your doctor though and take care of yourself. My doc was fine with my decision.

I am thinking about flying across the country about 12 days after my surgery.

My surgeon advises no flying for 8 weeks because of the lack of mobility and the pressure. I do believe him but I am willing to take my chances. I have to get to my children and back home. Are there any of you sleevers out there who traveled after having this??????? What about the people who fly to Mexico for surgery and come back??