Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UGGG!

For the past month, I have been having (3 and in the middle of the night) charlie horses in my left calf. I NEVER had them in my life pre-op and I was reading that lack of sodium, potassium, magnesium or Calcium can cause this and also dehydration.

I drink like a fish, so I really do not think it is dehydration, I take Calcium and lots of it. I am worried that I may have a deficiency of some sort.

Anyone else have these? I am eating a banana now for potassium.

Kelly

You might be low on Potassium. I'm a little on the low side and have muscle tightness in my legs. Definately call your doctor. Take care!

I get them from potassium deficiency. I get them from my thighs down... calves, shin, tops of my feet, toes, sides of my leg... anywhere there's a muscle has been... victimized. :) I don't usually get them during the day, but evening -- and night is the worst.

Bananas are ok. Make sure you get a good, ripe one (yellow with lots of brown). You might also want a pill supplement. They can be chewed. But make sure you only take one.

Yep this is usually from lack of our electrolytes and/or Water. Are you getting 64 oz. or more?? Pre sleeve we would have gotten lots of Water from our food. Now we simply don't even eat enough to make up for lack of it, and now 64 oz should be our bare minimum.

Also, my calcium citrate also has an added Magnesium Citrate. I also take Potassium (the bananas you're eating are excellent). You may also just want to add a tiny bit more salt to your food if you are avoiding it too much.

I still get cramps from time to time even with all this. It's tough... but I'm hopeful I can get back to 100% normal once I'm able to get off the "diet" train and eat more well balanced. However for me I do believe my main culprit is the Calcium. I have to maintain my supplements 3X per day. I notice when I'm even only doing 2X per day I'll get the cramps.

:) Good luck!

drinking too MUCH Water can actually flush out your sodium and potassium. I had a diet that required us to drink an insane ammount of Water a day and to take "mortons lite salt" since that contains both sodium chloride and potassium chloride.

There's a few things you can do depending on where you're at in your post off jouney.

If you're on liquids, you can take a 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon of lite salt and dissolve into a little warm water and down it. It tastes horrible but the warm water for some reason helps.

You can make a Soup that contains a significant ammount of lite salt. Here's my favorite recipe:

In a blender add

1 can of diced tomatoes (no salt added variety)

1 teaspoon of lite salt

1 teaspoon of chili powder

garlic powder to taste and whatever other goodies you may want like basil or oregano.

Blend it until it's nice and smooth. heat and enjoy.

If you don't want to make something yourself, you can also look for "healthy request" canned Soup as that also uses lower sodium salt. The nutrition label will show how much sodium and potassium there is.

Hope that helps.

If the above suggestions don't work. you may need quinine. The best source for this is tonic Water (yep, like gin and tonic). I made the mistake of buying the non-diet kind but I believe there are sugar-free varieties available. I only need a couple of sips a week and I am free of those muscle cramps that used to wake me up in the dead of night!

Hey Kelly,

when I was pregnant, I had this happen a lot. They hurt!! I discovered that I was low in magnesium, and started eating avocados...totally helped! Also, I found out that if I ate too much lunch meat I would also get them...I think it's something to do with the nitrites in the meat. If I ate Subway, I got leg cramps. I still do. Try the avocado, and good luck!!

UGGG!

For the past month, I have been having (3 and in the middle of the night) charlie horses in my left calf. I NEVER had them in my life pre-op and I was reading that lack of sodium, potassium, magnesium or Calcium can cause this and also dehydration.

I drink like a fish, so I really do not think it is dehydration, I take calcium and lots of it. I am worried that I may have a deficiency of some sort.

Anyone else have these? I am eating a banana now for potassium.

Kelly

My husband works in construction and while he's the boss, he's still out in the field all day sweating and losing electrolytes like crazy. I'll tell you that in the construction field, the guys out here in the desert swear by Gatorade and bananas for lunch to stop the cramps. Drink a gatorade and have a banana a day and I'll bet you anything the cramps stop. If not, see your doctor because it can be a sign of blood clots. In your case I don't think that's it, I think it's just the potassium and electrolytes you're missing.

Renee`

Thanks everyone!

I figured it was something to do with my new found belly and not getting enough of something, as I have never had these before! And have had 3 since surgery 5/9/11.

I will try some of the suggestions and see how they help. If no help, I will tell my dr. I have blood tests next month for my 3 month marker. I am sure if there are deficincies they will show up!

Thanks again! :D

Kelly