Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hoping for some advice.. please?

I have been given the clear to start introducing soft foods (my doc has a very broad idea of what soft foods are...) and everything I eat makes me feel like I am going to be sick. Not like I am too full but just like it doesn't agree with me. Even my Protein Shakes are making me queasy... but that could be because I really am tired of them. Any food suggestions? Right now all I want to do is eat saltine crackers but carbs are the one thing my doc does not want me eating. I am thinking it might be a dairy problem?

I think you may be correct, you might be lactose intolerant. When you start the mushie stage and beyond, start slowly to see how you do. I was lactose intolerant for about 4 months, but now I can drink regular milk and other dairy without issues. Eating becomes a challenge during the mushie stage, where I used to get giddy over the thought of a meal, during soft food stage I dreaded it.

Try different foods to see what agrees with you best. A lot of people report refried Beans were easy to stomach. tuna and eggsalad were my friends. Good luck!

Hey, I feel your pain. I went on my "schedule" to mushies, and all of a sudden was having nausea all the time... I finally called my dietician and she just recommended to go back to liquids. I was a little reluctant but you know, there really can't be a set schedule for this sort of thing. We need to realize that we had a major organ amputated, and it needs to heal, and nobody can dictate when it is ready to accept a certain consistency of food again. For me it is just not, I guess. But I went back on liquids and am still feeling sick, so calling the dr. today is the next course of action, which I'd recommend.

I wondered if this was normal and apparently it is. I was so excited before to get to the soft food stage as my surgeon calls it. I have 2 weeks to go on this before I go to solid foods. The first day I scrambled a soft egg and ate it. I felt immediately nauseous and had to lay down for awhile. I don't think I can eat another one for awhile. The thought of it disgusts me. In fact, about every food disgusts me when I think about it. I have to purposefully eat because I'd be perfectly happy not eating anything all day. I hope this changes because I'd really like to enjoy the little bit of food I am able to eat. tuna with light mayo also grosses me out and I used to love it. I think the texture stage where you blend up chili and stuff really turned me off to regular food. I get sick thinking about it. I did eat some oatmeal this morning and it seems to be okay. So like the other people said, you have to try things and find out what you can tolerate and what you can't. I'm going to give cottage cheese a try tomorrow. I used to love it. I now understand though when people say your tastes change after surgery. It's so crazy but true. I just wonder what new things I'll end up liking now. So yes, I am with you on this soft food stage sucking and I hope when we get to the solid food stage we'll be able to tolerate more food. I chalk it up to your stomach not having anything solid or even semi-solid in it for so long that it's saying "What the hell is this?" when you introduce food to it again. Kind of like it has to get used to it again. Good luck to both of us!

Hello and thanks for the advice!! I'm working on less dairy and eating slower. But something else I've noticed - no queasiness when I eat carbs. But they are on my list of things not to eat. Has anyone experienced this?

Hello and thanks for the advice!! I'm working on less dairy and eating slower. But something else I've noticed - no queasiness when I eat carbs. But they are on my list of things not to eat. Has anyone experienced this?

yes, i have noticed. I bought some of the Ramen Noodles type things .. for the broth because its so flavorful.. and I just put a few crackers in it rather then eat that Pasta.. it tastes wonderful especially the teryiaki beef flavor lol.

Anyway.. milk is a no no for me.. even the soy milk, lactaid.. Silk.. all that stuff.. I think its the consistency/creaminess too I dont even know .. all i know is i stay away from it. I also didnt do well with creamed Soups. again, I think its a creaminess thing for me now.

I am on full liquids, for 2.5 more weeks - but my dr said i can incorporate some softs since technically my diet goes from full liquids to solids -- yes i know, odd. Once I get to the solid stage he doesnt want me to puree ANYTHING.

I think its just the kinds of foods we are limited too at this stage... they are mushy, blah, creamy, milky etc... not fun on the tummy.

Refried Beans has been my fave so far.. they go down really well.. i put a lil enchilada sauce with them for taste and to loosen them up, and some shredded FF cheddar cheese, and a lil bit of light sour cream. Its really good!!

Okay, a lot of people have recommended refried Beans. I think I will have to give those a go tonight. I'm also going to get myself some crackers. Just to see if they help settle my stomach

Cream Soups are a definite no go for me - they make me feel terrible! And have little Protein so really what's the point?

Thanks for all the ideas and support!!

Going to real food is a bit of an experiment. Something that makes you feel bad this week will feel fine next week. My mushy staples were: cottage cheese, ricotta cheese with seasoning, very tender white fish mashed up, mashed sweet potato with salt only. Also, make sure you only eat about 1 tablespoon to start and chew it REALLY WELL. That will help with some of the discomfort.

Take care!

I'm 10wks out and still get nauseous!! Just thinking about food makes me want to hurl... Like you, I could go all day without eating and me totally happy! The thought of food, cooking food, looking at food all make me nauseous. I'm going to see my surgeon on Thurs for my check up. He's already prescribed me Zofran and a PPI but they dont seem to work at all. Not even refried Beans are working, nor are Protein shakes. Some days I'm able to force myself to eat about 1oz of food and other days I'm not able to get anything down.

And as far as the chew, chew, chew thing goes.... the more I chew the more nauseous I get! Does this happen to anyone else??? If I chew too long I have to spit it out and can't eat another bite!! It's very frustrating!

Haven't had the chewing problem. Definitely something to ask the doc about because what are you going to do, swallow food whole?? No nausea when chewing but I can get a couple bites in then just be disgusted by the sight of whatever I'm eating.

I finally tried refried Beans though and I am pleased to say I was successful! I had one too many bites because I was so excited that I wasn't feeling sick :(

Stacy how much Protein are you getting in on that little food? ? Have you tried the clear liquid Protein shakes?? I'm nauseous a lot but I just power through to make sure I get to my 60 grams.

I use Sytrax nectar Protein. It's a protein you mix with Water. I use 2 scoops to give me 46g of protein in 20oz of water. Somedays I manage my 80g which is required by my Dr and sometimes I only get the 46g in. It's hit or miss for me. It all depends on my nausea level.

Is it any good? I'm still looking for a Protein Drink I like...

I love it! You can get them in like 15 different flavors and they dont have an after taste! What I did was go to www.mybariatricpantry.com and ordered the sample pack for like $13. Then I tried all of them and ordered the big tub of the one I liked best. I've already gone through 2 tubs and will be ordering another soon.

:D Make sure you thin the Beans a little with Water. They are really thick and might not go down well. I had real issues with them on my pureed stage. I couldn't do them. They felt stuck. I was so upset because I love them and so wanted to eat them. I couldn't do chicken salad either. I hope you have better luck!!

Now that I am further out 71/2 weeks, I can eat both. I think my swelling just took longer to go down than most.

Kelly

Thanks! I just ordered the sample pack...can't wait to receive it. All the shakes I've tried are pretty horrible.

I love it! You can get them in like 15 different flavors and they dont have an after taste! What I did was go to www.mybariatricpantry.com and ordered the sample pack for like $13. Then I tried all of them and ordered the big tub of the one I liked best. I've already gone through 2 tubs and will be ordering another soon.